• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

World Cup

NDKane21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a big soccer fan at all but am catching myself getting into the US in this World Cup. Anybody else been watching? This may be the first time I've ever sat through a soccer game. We didn't beat the Germans today but still moved on from the "pool of death". I'm interested to see how we do in the knockout round. I'm also interested in hearing other's thoughts/opinions...especially those who know a little something about the other "football".

65 days until kickoff. Someway, somehow...have to kill a little time.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched all the US games. The nice thing is you can watch while you're doing other things. When someone scores, they show it 10 times so you never miss it.

Also, I was extremely confident that we would make it into the next round, but many of my friends who follow soccer closely thought I was crazy to be so confident. But think about it, with TV money, and the political issues in Brazil, the only locks to get into the next round were the US and Brazil.

NDKane21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do other things like look at college football information, of course...that was me. At least the lady was cutting the grass at the same time. ;)

Extremely confident huh? I'm impressed because all the talking heads said coming out of the "pool of death" was impossible. Well, here we are. Do you know who we play next, anything about them and our chances of victory?

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We play Belgium. They won their group but we have a good chance to win. Altidore coming would be huge, but pulled hammies can take awhile to come back from.

Our defense and ball possession skills are lacking a bit, and that could hinder us against strong attacking teams like Germany. But we have a very solid squad that can score in any situation, set pieces, counter attacks, broken plays, etc.

I think we'll beat Belgium but then the games get reeeeeaaaallly tough.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not a big soccer fan but love the world cup. Cant wait for Tue. Lets Go USA

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we beat Belgium we are going to get crushed by Argentina.

NDKane21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They obviously have ties in Soccer...but how does that work in the knockout round?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No more ties

NDIrishGuy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 extra periods of 15 minutes each are played. Then if still tied at the end of those 30 minutes, it goes to penalty kicks. The extra periods are NOT sudden death.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we beat Belgium we are going to get crushed by Lionel Messi.

Lionel Messi has pretty much been the only guy to score for them in the group stages, they are a very good team but if he isn't playing at his best they would likely struggle maybe not against the US but against teams like Germany, Brazil, and Netherlands for sure.

NDKane21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 extra periods of 15 minutes each are played. Then if still tied at the end of those 30 minutes, it goes to penalty kicks. The extra periods are NOT sudden death.

Thank you. The no sudden death is surprising.

Sorry for all the dumb questions, but again...I know shit about this game. Penalty kicks, is that where all the players stand in front of the goal? Or is it the goal keeper vs the player...mono a mono? And how many players get to kick? Is it just until a team is +1 with even attempts?

Thank you all for the information, except Jarntt's two cents.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lionel Messi has pretty much been the only guy to score for them in the group stages, they are a very good team but if he isn't playing at his best they would likely struggle maybe not against the US but against teams like Germany, Brazil, and Netherlands for sure.

Messi is amazing and dangerous. If the US can get by Belgium it would be awesome to watch them play Argentina. They would be huge underdogs. As it is right now they have 46% chance of winning against Belgium (according to vegas odds). I have a couple Irish (from Ireland) friends and once in a while I join them early saturday or sunday mornings for an Irish breakfast and Guinness at the local pub (O'Brians ) to watch EPL

NDKane21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Messi is amazing and dangerous. If the US can get by Belgium it would be awesome to watch them play Argentina. They would be huge underdogs. As it is right now they have 46% chance of winning against Belgium (according to vegas odds). I have a couple Irish (from Ireland) friends and once in a while I join them early saturday or sunday mornings for an Irish breakfast and Guinness at the local pub (O'Brians ) to watch EPL

I'll take those odds considering we weren't supposed to make it out of the group. Might as well call it 50/50.

Break it down for me...of the the knock out round, who are the favorites? Is there a "ranking" so to speak?

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you. The no sudden death is surprising.

Sorry for all the dumb questions, but again...I know shit about this game. Penalty kicks, is that where all the players stand in front of the goal? Or is it the goal keeper vs the player...mono a mono? And how many players get to kick? Is it just until a team is +1 with even attempts?

Thank you all for the information, except Jarntt's two cents.

They stand behind, but it's penalty kicks (one shooter gets one shot on the goalie). They alternate. There is a set number (5?), then if it is tied it is one kick each until someone has a lead.

NDKane21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They stand behind, but it's penalty kicks (one shooter gets one shot on the goalie). They alternate. There is a set number (5?), then if it is tied it is one kick each until someone has a lead.

Thank you, tend to learn something new everyday.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason they are so close on a normal PK, btw, is that if the ball stays in play (off the post, blocked, whatever, it's live. When they're all neatly lined up that's when you know it's a shoot out.

NDKane21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason they are so close on a normal PK, btw, is that if the ball stays in play (off the post, blocked, whatever, it's live. When they're all neatly lined up that's when you know it's a shoot out.

Gracias again, tend to learn a couple or few things new everyday.

Backroads

The One Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the info JDM...I know a LITTLE about soccer. Couldn't watch the Germany game as I was traveling to Detroit, but the pilot kept us informed on the score that and the Paraguay/Ghana game.

Looking forward to Tuesdays game as I will be home and able to watch