• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

World Baseball Classic....Does anyone even care?

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This World Baseball Classic could reportedly be the last one

Looks like this could be it for the world baseball classic. The numbers were not that great and from what the article says unless there is a huge turn around this will be the last one in 2017. I liked the world baseball classic in terms of seeing a player use the spot light to be scouted and probably signed to the MLB. Is anybody losing any sleep over not having the classic anymore?

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is the timing of it.

Basketball as a summer sport for the olympics works out great (even though it's BS, it's a winter sport) and since baseball is a (primarily) outdoor sport you can't take time off in the middle of the season to do it.

And at the end of the year players would be pushing their innings limits.

There simply isn't a good time to do it.

Doing it every 4 years on a non-Olympic or World Cup year would probably make the most sense from a ratings standpoint, but from a baseball/MLB logistics and health standpoint it's a nightmare.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is the timing of it.

Basketball as a summer sport for the olympics works out great (even though it's BS, it's a winter sport) and since baseball is a (primarily) outdoor sport you can't take time off in the middle of the season to do it.

And at the end of the year players would be pushing their innings limits.

There simply isn't a good time to do it.

Doing it every 4 years on a non-Olympic or World Cup year would probably make the most sense from a ratings standpoint, but from a baseball/MLB logistics and health standpoint it's a nightmare.

Not only that a lot of MLB teams are worried about their players getting hurt. Pitchers are only allowed to pitch like 3 innings before being taken out and I think even hitters have to be taken out after a specific amount of at bats. I dont want to see Felix Hernandez blow out his throwing elbow trying to win a game for venezuela

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not only that a lot of MLB teams are worried about their players getting hurt. Pitchers are only allowed to pitch like 3 innings before being taken out and I think even hitters have to be taken out after a specific amount of at bats. I dont want to see Felix Hernandez blow out his throwing elbow trying to win a game for venezuela

yeah that was part of the MLB logistics i was referring to.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also don't GAS that we try so hard to be good at Soccer, or that we keep trying to promote American football overseas.

This. Football games in London and Mexico City are almost as gay as soccer.

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It allowed us to see just how scary good Japan is. In a real World Series, what would happen? I would like to see that.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It allowed us to see just how scary good Japan is. In a real World Series, what would happen? I would like to see that.

I wonder how the best Japanese team would do in an MLB season if they would make the playoffs or not

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder how the best Japanese team would do in an MLB season if they would make the playoffs or not
I'd pay to see that. Interesting fact, only Pro Hockey and Pro Soccer have true world championships, and nobody argues about who the world champs are when it's done. Baseball, Football and Basketball don't do this. They only "call" themselves world champs. A bit embarrassing when you think of it.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I doubt it.

Everything I've read suggests that NPJ is somewhere between AAA and MLB. If that's true, maybe an NPJ All-Star team would make the playoffs, but not the best regular season team.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This World Baseball Classic could reportedly be the last one

Looks like this could be it for the world baseball classic. The numbers were not that great and from what the article says unless there is a huge turn around this will be the last one in 2017. I liked the world baseball classic in terms of seeing a player use the spot light to be scouted and probably signed to the MLB. Is anybody losing any sleep over not having the classic anymore?
I've always liked it.

Best part is seeing foreign players up against known commodities.

Not the greatest time frame for an international pro tourney. But I don't have a better alternative.

Hopefully MLB cooperated with the Olympics in 2020. Just skip the ASG imo.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt it.

Everything I've read suggests that NPJ is somewhere between AAA and MLB. If that's true, maybe an NPJ All-Star team would make the playoffs, but not the best regular season team.

I would agree with this

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a fan of all baseball but do understand that there are injury risks with MLB players, playing in these games. If there is baseball on however, I will be watching it most likely.