• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Working the system

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spring ball is here! I wish spring would follow pretty soon.

If you have been listening to the pressers from all the assitants it looks like DH's plan is becoming a reality. We have improved our depth, the staff, and the guys who are here in the offseason are making big gains in the weight room.

Sounds like Joseph will play up towards the line more this year which in reality he probably should have been the last two years, but we just couldn't with injuries and lack of bodies. They were talking and his playing weight should be anywhere from 215 to 225. He is a solid tackler and should help relieve some of the lack of beef we have at LB. Worley gained about 10 lbs of muscle and will stick to cornerback this year, last year he played 4 different positions.

DL is still a concern...not the players we have, but the guys we have behind them 80-90 snaps a game is hard on the big boys. If we can find a gem on second string and keep these guys healthy we may be able to hide one of our biggest weaknesses. DT we just need someone to hold gaps, I could care less if they only have one tackle on the season if they can keep the OL of our LB's this unit should be solid across the board.

Listened to Tom Bradleys podcast this morning and he was asked the question if the couple of years being away from the game will hamper him. He brought up a very good point as a annoucer he had more access than he ever did as a coach. He would spend a week watching tape, interviewing coaches, and attending practices. He thinks the time away and study is really going to help him this year. Dude sounds like a football coach that is for sure.

I know we discussed whether missing a bowl hurts/helps and there were different views on the subject. My opinion then and still is that the time off from football is going to help these coaches and players. If you follow the interviews, tweets, and articles this team does have a different feel to it...this is judging from afar. Team seems hungry and that is never a bad thing.

Last note I do not like the "WTF" "Win, trust, Finish"

How does Win come before everything else? lol I would have made it "Work, Trust, Finish" maybe I should email DH. :suds:

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spring is the time for optimism.

Living in the northeast, it has been a long…. tough… winter! Spring practice should be full of glowing reports. It gives us hope… until reality sets in.

Make no mistake, Dana stated during the offseason that this would be the first spring he had enough players to go at it. I have read the coaches plan to keep Worley at CB. I am happy to see that. KJ Dillon was moved to Spur. Looks like a natural position for him.

Disappointed to hear Travis Bell has been indefinitely suspended. He has shown glimpses of promise.

As far as the WTF, seems silly to me that teams keep making these acronyms as motivators. If it ain't in your gut… no slogan gonna help.

Win each play of practice… each play of the game. If everybody does this, the team should have success.

When CBS did a segment on Coach Saban recently, he spoke about this philosophy. Win each play… think about the game as one play to the next…

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worley showed he can play just about anywhere last year...with his size if he does stick to corner and improves each year this kid could earn a nice payday in a couple.

Looking down the roster it puts a huge smile on my face how many sophs and Jrs have seen significant playing time in their careers here.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I have cited on here before, we have seen young kids at WVU forced onto the playing field before they were ready in the past. 1990 was the last time, and 1986 before that. Following some early disappointment with 4-7 records in those seasons, those young kids went on to do some magic.

I am not saying this current group of kids will enjoy the same kind of success. I merely point out that we have all seen it happen in the past. And, I surely hope we will see similar successful futures happen again…