• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wolfley Says to Stay the Course

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wolf's Huddle: Stay the Course - WVU Athletics

Wolf makes some great points… ones we have hashed over in recent weeks…

In discussing the Miami game from 1986…

But reality has a funny way of bringing all things into perspective and this afternoon was no different. The game quickly turned out of control and into a rout. When the game clock read zero at the end of the first quarter Miami had already built a 28-0 lead that only grew larger as the day wore on. We lost 58-14 and, in reality, it was not even that close.

I think several of us have stated something similar to this…

Don Nehlen has taught me many things as a player, coach and as a man. I have witnessed him in good and bad times. As a player on the field and a coach behind closed doors, I can testify that I have heard him say “stay the course” and then watched him walk the walk!

And with this… he frickin' nails it….

The 2013 WVU football team has had a bumpy season to date. Some surely think that is an understatement, but youth, first-time players, continuity, Big 12 competition, and a few bad breaks have been part of the cause. The 1986 team that went 4-7 had 13 seniors on the roster. The 6-6 team in 1987 had 10 seniors. Is it a coincidence that the 1988 team that went 11-1 had 25 seniors and the 1993 team that that also went 11-1 had 27 seniors? The 2013 team has just 12 seniors and 30 underclassmen among the two-deep.

These are not excuses but rather facts! Facts have consequences and this team is certainly battling them.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think in the past in a less than stellar Big East Conference you could get away with youth and survive..couple that with a new and innovative offense Rich plugged in Wv was able to sustain being a top dog in the conference no matter what....clearly in the Big12 experience matters and if you are weak in any particular area the other teams have more than enough talent to exploit it...

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you.

Dana has given Art Briles major props for establishing his program at Baylor. I remember Dana's comments last year prior to the game… the first Big 12 football game in WVU history. He spoke about how Briles built a system where kids can be developed within it. That by the time these kids get playing time, they have been in the weight room, they have been on the practice field repping…

And, when these kids get their opportunities… they produce.

If you look back at WVU history under Nehlen, we witnessed what Wolfley highlighted for us. Kids thrown into action too early at times… kids who were not ready to play… and we watched them struggle.

Last year, WVU's defense struggled mightily with youth on the field. This year, WVU has not only been forced to play young kids on defense again… but, offense as well.

Look at Baylor's defense this year. Compare that to last year.

How did that happen?

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you.

Dana has given Art Briles major props for establishing his program at Baylor. I remember Dana's comments last year prior to the game… the first Big 12 football game in WVU history. He spoke about how Briles built a system where kids can be developed within it. That by the time these kids get playing time, they have been in the weight room, they have been on the practice field repping…

And, when these kids get their opportunities… they produce.

If you look back at WVU history under Nehlen, we witnessed what Wolfley highlighted for us. Kids thrown into action too early at times… kids who were not ready to play… and we watched them struggle.

Last year, WVU's defense struggled mightily with youth on the field. This year, WVU has not only been forced to play young kids on defense again… but, offense as well.

Look at Baylor's defense this year. Compare that to last year.

How did that happen?

You agree with me???...:omg:LOL!!..Mark this down in history folks...my good friend...and I do genuinely mean that...he has been one of my best friends for years......finally agrees with me!!....BB..I have taken a screen shot of this post and have saved it for posterity!!!!..:lol::yahoo:

With that being said...the one thing that gets lost in all the Hillbilly fans that are just in total denial is that ever since Rich left the program has had instability as it relates to recuiting...the team is still suffering from all the changes...If one recalls Dana had to step in as the #3 QB during spring drills they were so short of players...just like you alluded to with Briles...this program is 3 years away from being on solid ground again...and it will be..it is a top level program in a top level conference..