• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

WK-1: No. Illinois

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't wait for Saturday's game to see what this team looks like. This game scares me right out of the gate. I think this NIU team is talented on both sides of the ball. Plus, having Lynch back is also a major concern. They've also got 16 returning starters. IF, No. Illinois gets by Iowa...they'll have a really good chance at going undefeated and back to a BCS bowl game.

I want Iowa to win, but in the football poll that was taken, I felt that No. Illinois will beat the Hawkeyes.

Final score: NIU 31 Iowa 27

Come on Hawks!!!

Clemenza

Capo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rudock is hot right out of the gate and throws for 4 TDs, 2 to Fiedorowicz, Weisman has a monster game once we build the lead he just churns out big gain after big gain, Iowa 38 NIU 17.

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clem,

I'd love to see those results!!

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iowa's Offense vs NIU's Defense

Iowa is returning 7 on offense (2 RB, 2 WR/TE, 3 OL). Northern Illinois is returning 4 on defense (1 DL, 1 LB, 2 DB). I think Iowa's rushing attack will take advantage over NIU's inexperienced front. I don't think offensively, Iowa won't need to worry about passing the ball.

NIU's Offense vs Iowa's Defense

Northern Illinois is returning 8 on offense (1 QB, 1 RB, 2 WR/TE, 4OL). Iowa is returning 7 on defense (2 DL, 3 LB, 2 DB). I think this will be the big key to Iowa winning the game or not. NIU's QB is very athletic and will be hard to defend against.

I don't think special teams will have a major factor in this game.

Prediction: I think the balance of experience that Iowa has on both sides of the ball will get them the victory. Iowa wins 21-17

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The closer the season comes, the more optimistic I am. Iowa is a young, talented team. One that can definitely improve during the season. They have a tough schedule, but it is set up well. The toughest games are 2nd half of the season. I can see 8/9-win season

HawkeyesRuleURFace

Avid Basketball Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am hoping for the best but expecting the worst...nothing can be as bad as JVB slinging 2 yard passes at people's shins so I guess I might be a tad optimistic

Clemenza

Capo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am hoping for the best but expecting the worst...nothing can be as bad as JVB slinging 2 yard passes at people's shins so I guess I might be a tad optimistic

Did you happen to catch BTN's preview of Iowa? They were showing some Iowa offensive plays and I shuddered at the amount of short, 3-to-8 yard out patterns where the receiver catches the ball and crumples to the ground.

Let's hope those were the exceptions and NOT the norm.

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wasn't that the Davis way at Texas though? they just had really good athletes back then, Texas is largely irrelevant these days though, pretty much in the same position as we are the way I see it, but our basketball team is doing really well

Going to be very frustrating if that is our offense again

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clem,

I saw that to. I was highly disappointed at those passing routes and in seeing the WR/TE go down to the ground.

Hawkeye,

I don't think that was the 'Texas way' at all. The skill position players that Davis had were head-and-shoulders-above anything that Iowa has. I'm including the RBs in that as well. Spread teams out with amazing speed and then ask the WR to make his defender miss. I don't feel that Iowa has the speed at RB or WR to make people miss for a big play TD (30+ yards).

I feel that the offense that Davis had at Texas was designed to score a lot of points. I don't believe KF truly desires to beat a team 56-13 every Saturday. It seems as if KF goes ultra conservative once his team is up by 14-pts.

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and that mentality is how you lose games...going into protect mode is letting the underdog up to growl, you have to step on their neck and crush em...if you are up by 42, then protect, 14, you score, same thing in basketball, you start to let anyone back in a game and you are going to lose

Clemenza

Capo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Greg Davis ran some kind of West Coast offense at Texas? Nothing I've seen thus far is even remotely close to that. In fact, going by last year, I would say our offense was even MORE conservative than (gasp) O'Keefe's!

I'm still not sold on Davis, I really hope the offense opens up this year. Heaven help Ferentz if Iowa has another losing season with that crapola offense that we saw last year, everyone will be calling for his head.

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hmm...I thought that was the West Coast offense, let a decent QB dump off passes and the RB and WR and TE run a mile for the win...that's what Montana did for years as a 49er and everyone revered him when it was really an 8 yard pass and Jerry Rice ran for 50 for the TD. That's what I saw in the prime Texas years too, although McCoy would air it out on occasion and Young had some feet.

gengljer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iowa wins this one going away 38 to 17. Lynch is good, but Iowa was the only team that kept him in check last year. He scored on a 70 something run which gave him barely 120 rushing yards on the day and only passed for about 60 yards. Iowa's D is going to be better. Iowa's OL is going to be better, and with more experienced RB's...we will pound it away and mix it up in the air. Iowa will be conservative, and will win the game This is one game in the first 4 that proves what we are. Then we dominate the rest of the 3 including the Cychicks. Minnesota goes down to begin the year 5 and 0. Our QB play will be there. Rudock will do his job and then some. I'm not at the least bit worried about Northern Illinois. Face it, we beat them last year, and they ran through the...ahem...MAC...then got throttled against Cincinnati.

HawkeyesRuleURFace

Avid Basketball Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iowa wins this one going away 38 to 17. Lynch is good, but Iowa was the only team that kept him in check last year. He scored on a 70 something run which gave him barely 120 rushing yards on the day and only passed for about 60 yards. Iowa's D is going to be better. Iowa's OL is going to be better, and with more experienced RB's...we will pound it away and mix it up in the air. Iowa will be conservative, and will win the game This is one game in the first 4 that proves what we are. Then we dominate the rest of the 3 including the Cychicks. Minnesota goes down to begin the year 5 and 0. Our QB play will be there. Rudock will do his job and then some. I'm not at the least bit worried about Northern Illinois. Face it, we beat them last year, and they ran through the...ahem...MAC...then got throttled against FSU.

Fify

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iowa will be much improved this season, Northern Illinois will not = Iowa wins big. To Hawks!!!!!!

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Northern Illinois starting RB will not play against Iowa on Sat...he did not gain even 500 yards last year so not sure how big of a loss that is for them, being replaced by a 6'1" 244 lb RB instead...sounds like Weisman but less experience.

gengljer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of hard to get more than 500 when the QB runs for 1800...no loss to me..