• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

With the 22nd pick in the 2017 NFL Draft the Miami Dolphins Select

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have been slotted into the 22nd spot based on our playoff exit.

Time to talk up needs and potential targets in the draft.

Our season ended in the most disappointing of ways -- but we can now look to our bright future and make the moves necessary to continue on the right track

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have been slotted into the 22nd spot based on our playoff exit.

Time to talk up needs and potential targets in the draft.

Our season ended in the most disappointing of ways -- but we can now look to our bright future and make the moves necessary to continue on the right track

I would use the first pick on defense. To give the team some flexibility it would be best to have a few positions to choose from. DE, DT could be the best choices. QB's are way too comfortable in the pocket. LB could also be a good first choice. The Fins could also improve at stopping the run.

There are other important needs for the other early picks. The Fins need another pass catching TE. David Njoku**, TE, Miami could be what the team needs. I think he could be gone by the time the Fins pick in the 2nd round. If he's there that would be an easy choice. The Fins are ranked 26th is passing. Njoku could help to improve that.

The Fins need depth at Center/OG, Safety, CB

Last edited by a moderator:

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Canes fan, id love to have Njoku. We shall see.

Lets remember, we can only draft 1 player per every draft pick - so, regardless of needs - best player available is probably the best route.

CFB season ends tonight - so hopefully I can find us some worthy draft topics to talk up

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Impossible to do a mock draft until after roster cuts and free agency.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Impossible to do a mock draft until after roster cuts and free agency.
Agreed but its more for the fun of it. I've always felt that you draft the money positions if you can and find the rest like OG in FA. But if the best player available is way better than your biggest need it's hard to walk away.

I think if a big time LB is there you have to take it as its their worst overall position. CB or S could be argued but when injured guys come back its not that bad. LB is simply terrible.

TE is a luxury if its a stud it could pay off in the long-term but hard to pass on D especially LB in the first round.

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd take Zach Cunningham, Adoree Jackson (if he declares), Taco Charlton, Solomon Thomas, or a safety that drops to us, but a good starting safety could be a 2nd round get.

While LB is our biggest need, Maxwell needs to be replaced after 2017 due to salary. He's scheduled 10M per season thru 2020, with no cap hit after 2017. We need a quality 3rd CB to be ready to go. I'm not sure how good Reshad Jones will be post-injury and he's a 30-year old FA after next season, so that's why I'm talking about safeties early. I think they should move Jones to the WLB, a la Thomas Davis, and get him cloer to the LOS. Maybe he can be a SS/LB hybrid we're starting to see.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With AG has head coach, I think the TE position will be of bigger importance at the draft than in previous years and more so than people think overall.

Either way, had we had a higher pick or multiple first round picks -- we could go with exact immediate needs but at our current slot, best available is better. Its not like we will be able to hand pick who we choose at that point like would be the case with higher picks -- with the 22nd pick, unless you trade up or down(which I don't think we should or need to) you go with availability and go from there.

We have already lost picks due to trade -- I believe we are without a 4th round pick from the Carroo trade -- so we don't have the luxury of so many trades right now.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With AG has head coach, I think the TE position will be of bigger importance at the draft than in previous years and more so than people think overall.

Either way, had we had a higher pick or multiple first round picks -- we could go with exact immediate needs but at our current slot, best available is better. Its not like we will be able to hand pick who we choose at that point like would be the case with higher picks -- with the 22nd pick, unless you trade up or down(which I don't think we should or need to) you go with availability and go from there.

We have already lost picks due to trade -- I believe we are without a 4th round pick from the Carroo trade -- so we don't have the luxury of so many trades right now.

The very best are somewhat gone with the 1st 15 picks. But there are really good players that fall through to 22nd.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LB, Rush DE than CB/Safety are my thoughts, OL in second round?
BPA which will hopefully be on D especially LB. I'm still praying that Jordan comes back and can live up to his potential as the Fins will need a DE soon Wakes getting up there.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Practices for the Senior Bowl can reveal a lot about a player's talent. I remember when Aaron Donald was dominating in practices. He went on to perform well at the next level. I like to keep up with practices on WalterFootball.com. This year I've been particularly interested in the TE position because of the Fins' need for one. From what I am reading this is a good year to add a TE. There is good depth at the position which could mean that they could get one in the 2nd or 3rd round if they don't think there is an absolute gamechanger that they have to have with their first pick.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Practices for the Senior Bowl can reveal a lot about a player's talent. I remember when Aaron Donald was dominating in practices. He went on to perform well at the next level. I like to keep up with practices on WalterFootball.com. This year I've been particularly interested in the TE position because of the Fins' need for one. From what I am reading this is a good year to add a TE. There is good depth at the position which could mean that they could get one in the 2nd or 3rd round if they don't think there is an absolute gamechanger that they have to have with their first pick.
Definitely keep us updated. I think that they can find a TE later as its deep. I'm a little torn as I'd like to see LB but the money positions would dictate DE or DB in the first. Like I previously said if Jordan can get his head out of his ass they could stray away a little or simply go BPA in the first.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely keep us updated. I think that they can find a TE later as its deep. I'm a little torn as I'd like to see LB but the money positions would dictate DE or DB in the first. Like I previously said if Jordan can get his head out of his ass they could stray away a little or simply go BPA in the first.

I'm not expecting anything from Jordan. In college he proved he was athletic & versatile tweener at DE/LB. Jordan wasn't able to get many sacks in college. Getting sacks at the next level is a lot harder. My draft philosophy is to choose production over potential nearly every time. Jordan made bad decision after bad decision at a time in his career when he needed to be learning and improving. He could earn a roster spot as a special teams player. Other than that he hasn't proven anything in the NFL.

It's OK to not have a certain position that you want to draft for because the team has multiple needs. BPA is usually the best pick at one of a few positions of need. Foster from Bama or McMillan from OSU at ILB could make sense if the team feels Alonso would be a better OLB. DE Thomas of Stanford is a player that was very disruptive at the college level. He's another player for the Fins to consider

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not expecting anything from Jordan. In college he proved he was athletic & versatile tweener at DE/LB. Jordan wasn't able to get many sacks in college. Getting sacks at the next level is a lot harder. My draft philosophy is to choose production over potential nearly every time. Jordan made bad decision after bad decision at a time in his career when he needed to be learning and improving. He could earn a roster spot as a special teams player. Other than that he hasn't proven anything in the NFL.

It's OK to not have a certain position that you want to draft for because the team has multiple needs. BPA is usually the best pick at one of a few positions of need. Foster from Bama or McMillan from OSU at ILB could make sense if the team feels Alonso would be a better OLB. DE Thomas of Stanford is a player that was very disruptive at the college level. He's another player for the Fins to consider
Oh I hear you but I'm still hoping that the tool can rebound it would be so huge for the Fins. Even if he's only a serviceable passrusher it would help the depth.

What I meant is DE and DB usually cost more cap wise so better to draft them than look in FA. LB is historically cheaper. At the same time if LB is there and it's a no brainer I still go that way as it's a huge need. I can see Alonso moving to OLB I would love to find a stud ILB ....

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some mocks are calling for a TE for the first pick. All I can say is no, please don't do that. TE is not the missing link on this team, need D and need to it bad. D focus should be on first 2 or 3 picks.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some mocks are calling for a TE for the first pick. All I can say is no, please don't do that. TE is not the missing link on this team, need D and need to it bad. D focus should be on first 2 or 3 picks.
I agree you can take a TE later on unless the guy is kellen Winslow or something...take him earlier.

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If S. Thomas, T. Charlton, Z. Cunningham were gone, I'd be OK with OJ Howard at #22.

Of course, maybe we get a decent DE and/or LB in FA before the draft, so who knows...

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like they received a third and two fifth rounders in compensation. Great news! Let's see what happens in FA I'm expecting some help at OG there. Possibly a LB and backup DE and DT.