• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

With Saints center injured, Philly writers speculate on Kelce trade

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It appears to be nothing but Philly media speculation, but reporters note that the Saints signed Adrian Peterson AND drafted Alvin Kamara, so Mark Ingram could perhaps be traded for a guy like Kelce. They note that the salaries are relatively even so neither team would take a cap hit from it.

Problem I see with this speculation: The Saints seem to like bigger interior linemen to protect Drew Brees, who is short, from a collapsing pocket. Also Saints C Max Unger will reportedly only miss the start of the season, so the Saints may opt for more of a stopgap plan.

But...I would be all for this trade of course.

Could injury to Saints' Max Unger lead to Mark Ingram, Jason Kelce trade for Eagles?

Hypothetical trade: Eagles get Mark Ingram, Saints get Jason Kelce

Deano

Mental ninja
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd take a crock pot of jambalaya for Kelce. Ingram would fit well here. Sweeten the deal with Kendricks.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd take a crock pot of jambalaya for Kelce. Ingram would fit well here. Sweeten the deal with Kendricks.

Kendricks sours the deal even more than Kelce's play from last season does.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why?

On the rumor....I like this. Not because I am insanely crazy about Ingram. But because a potential upgrade at RB for Kelce is so much more than I thought possible Tell me it is straight up and I say do it now!

Northern Eagle

Hangin' With The Homeboys
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Wiz signed and Seumalo waiting in the wings, I think Howie is just waiting for the right deal to emerge. If not, I don't think he has a problem keeping him through the season, and then cutting him afterwards where the cap savings will be greater headed into next year.

With that being said I did see on a website that if he is designated as a post June 1st cut, we would save $5M against the cap as opposed to the $3.8M if we had done something already.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are now reports that talks may have happened. So this may have moved beyond rumors. That said, I think most Saints fans think Ingram is worth more than Kelce and they may be right, even if he is not worth a whole lot.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Wiz signed and Seumalo waiting in the wings, I think Howie is just waiting for the right deal to emerge. If not, I don't think he has a problem keeping him through the season, and then cutting him afterwards where the cap savings will be greater headed into next year.

With that being said I did see on a website that if he is designated as a post June 1st cut, we would save $5M against the cap as opposed to the $3.8M if we had done something already.

This is correct....and a very good point to make. Kelce has always been a June 1 cut situation.

That is why Howie could remain patient and look for a good situation. That could also be why no one has seriously inquired.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are now reports that talks may have happened. So this may have moved beyond rumors. That said, I think most Saints fans think Ingram is worth more than Kelce and they may be right, even if he is not worth a whole lot.

I am imagining the Saints wanting a 3rd/4th next year and Howie feeling that at that price we are fine at RB.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh there is no way he is worth that kind of pick, he has been a mediocre pro and is got a fair amount of wear on his tires. Kelce and a late round pick like a conditional 7th maybe but that would be the most he is worth.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A cheap option at RB for 1st and 2nd downs may be available soon if/when the Jags cut Chris Ivory ... Ivory got a huge contract this past season then had an injury and fumble riddled year behind a bad OL in Jacksonville. Since then the Jags drafted Leonard Fournette and will likely keep TJ Yeldon who's the better receiving compliment to Fournette (plus he's cheaper than Ivory). Grab Ivory on a 1 year cheap deal (assuming he's released) behind a solid Eagles OL and he could easily get back to being the Back that made the Jags pay him only one off-season ago.

Northern Eagle

Hangin' With The Homeboys
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A cheap option at RB for 1st and 2nd downs may be available soon if/when the Jags cut Chris Ivory ... Ivory got a huge contract this past season then had an injury and fumble riddled year behind a bad OL in Jacksonville. Since then the Jags drafted Leonard Fournette and will likely keep TJ Yeldon who's the better receiving compliment to Fournette (plus he's cheaper than Ivory). Grab Ivory on a 1 year cheap deal (assuming he's released) behind a solid Eagles OL and he could easily get back to being the Back that made the Jags pay him only one off-season ago.

I like this scenario better than Mark Ingram - acquiring Ingram would mean potentially giving up draft picks and I'm not a fan of that for a RB that I believe is slightly overrated. Ivory has real punch to his game and would be the perfect banger in the committee we have.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will see once the season starts... but mark my words... I think Kelce will still be our starter. I think you guys discount the obviousness of a need of upgrade at C, and our coaches not accepting that. Again, I hope/pray I'm wrong.

When Seumalo is ready he'll take over center duties. That plan is right on track. Kelce sucking as bad as he did last year doesn't have to happen again. And if he does, it'll be a short leash. Right now it's more about developing Wentz and that's easier to do with a veteran like Kelce in there than it would have been with a rookie or even 2nd year guy.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While Kelce lacks the ideal power needed for the position, he is very agile on sweeps and getting to the 2nd level. So while he is not good on power runs / short yardage (which are very important) ... he does have his good points and is a very smart Center which helps immensely in regards to calling out protections. I do think if Kelce isn't traded that he will be on a short leash (as the starter) and the backups will get plenty of starter reps in practice to familiarize themselves with Wentz.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Seumalo is ready he'll take over center duties. That plan is right on track. Kelce sucking as bad as he did last year doesn't have to happen again. And if he does, it'll be a short leash. Right now it's more about developing Wentz and that's easier to do with a veteran like Kelce in there than it would have been with a rookie or even 2nd year guy.

The thing is, Kelce has been this bad before. This is not a 1 year decline. In fact, him looking "GOOD" was the anomaly. I use to track sacks, where they came from and who was the breakdown on a weekly basis in the game threads, and Kelce was the primary target by far. His biggest weakness was the delayed LB blitz. He makes a decision fast, and helps the guard block someone that is ALREADY BLOCKED, while the lb comes in completely untouched. He did that a lot. And he has never gotten good push in run blocking. I've never been a fan of finesse over power when it comes to the OL, the way Reid was.

You state that Seumalo will take over, like it is fact. Others state that it's obvious kelce will go, it will just likely be in june. Everyone has an excuse for the coaching, yet everyone thinks it is a forgone conclusion the coaches see this and there is no way kelce starts this season. Just remember this, when the season begins 'IF" kelce is the starter. I hope you are right. Seumalo or the new C we just got in udfa. I'm ready to try anyone. It can't be worse.

WIth the investment and potential we have in Wentz, the OL has to be a priority. IMHO, the entire reason Wentz began getting into bad habits last year, was because of the constant pressure the OL allowed. It is no coincidence that his 'bad habits' began shortly after Lane Johnson was gone. Wentz was under ridiculous pressure. That would make anyone begin to get into bad habits.

I really like the way he took Guden's advice in QB camp last season in becoming a "two handed" QB. It shows in the way he holds onto the ball with 2 hands significantly better than he use to from earlier film. This kid is special, and we need to put him in the best position possible. It's why I wanted Mike Williams so bad this past draft. DE was the smart, long term deal - especially after so many offensive weapons went so early this year. Defense wins championships. And I love the Jeffrey pickup. But I really wanted another Dez Bryant type of WR to add to this group to develop with under Jeffrey. The great qb's often had 2 such weapons, and I don't have much faith in Matthews as such a player.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While Kelce lacks the ideal power needed for the position, he is very agile on sweeps and getting to the 2nd level. So while he is not good on power runs / short yardage (which are very important) ... he does have his good points and is a very smart Center which helps immensely in regards to calling out protections. I do think if Kelce isn't traded that he will be on a short leash (as the starter) and the backups will get plenty of starter reps in practice to familiarize themselves with Wentz.

And here is the "FIRST" post... accepting the fact that Kelce still being the starter is even possible. Ouch.

I agree with your assessment, on his agility. But his ability to pull (which Reid never did) is far out shadowed by his lack of protection he provides. There is no reason to think we can't do better than Kelce, bottom line. He is the weak link on the OL. We can run 2 TE sets and offer more protection on the edge as needed, but Wentz was under constant pressure from.... up the middle! How can the QB step up in the pocket with that?? It's no wonder he began throwing on his back foot and making poor decisions and increasing his INT's. C should have been a major priority, imho. Not an after thought.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't a Kelce fan even in his top years ... I'm not a fan of a Center who gets no push. That being said, this year is all about getting Wentz help and allowing him to progress to the next level ... if he's comfortable with Kelce helping him call the game, he may get the starting gig again; at least to start the season.