• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

With Apple apparently dumping the 3.5 headphone jack...

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
quote-we-have-white-people-problems-in-america-you-know-what-that-is-that-s-when-your-life-louis-c-k-144-12-27.jpg
I love his stuff

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree. As someone who has taken apart iPhones to repair, the headphone jack is pretty insignificant.

Maybe they need more room to put another tracking device.

I think it was to make it thinner... which makes no sense since the camera juts out anyway... stupid fucking protruding camera lens

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it was to make it thinner... which makes no sense since the camera juts out anyway... stupid fucking protruding camera lens

Well it is 50+ year old tech. It takes up space, it uses more battery power, it degrades sound quality. I am not getting one but have no issue with them changing. It's not just thinner, but you have to find a way to waterproof it, and it takes up space in the phone that can be used for other stuff.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:scratch:

I had my S4 for two years and only jumped to the S6 because Sprint gave me a free upgrade.
Nice. We've had 20+ Androids in the family so far. 1 has made the two year mark. Admittedly most were cheaper Androids though. But my wife's last two Galaxies didn't last two years and neither did my daughter's Galaxy.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice. We've had 20+ Androids in the family so far. 1 has made the two year mark. Admittedly most were cheaper Androids though. But my wife's last two Galaxies didn't last two years and neither did my daughter's Galaxy.

Must be a female thing. My wife and daughter both destroy their iPhones on a regular basis.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Impossible. iPhone's are indestructible. And stylish. Nothing brings out my eyes like a Space Gray iPhone.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it is 50+ year old tech. It takes up space, it uses more battery power, it degrades sound quality. I am not getting one but have no issue with them changing. It's not just thinner, but you have to find a way to waterproof it, and it takes up space in the phone that can be used for other stuff.
50+ year old tech that works great, and God damn it with the waterproofing... :doh:

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

^ has 3.5mm jack.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They give you an adapter in the box if you want to use any corded headphones so it's not like Apple is laughing at all the screwed people now. The outrage on this has been asinine.

Also they took away the headphone jack to add a better speaker at the bottom of the phone to go with the speaker they added at the top of the phone to give you stereo sound. I'd say that's a good reason to get rid of it.

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They give you an adapter in the box if you want to use any corded headphones so it's not like Apple is laughing at all the screwed people now. The outrage on this has been asinine.

Also they took away the headphone jack to add a better speaker at the bottom of the phone to go with the speaker they added at the top of the phone to give you stereo sound. I'd say that's a good reason to get rid of it.

I like the added speaker. But I'd still buy the small phone and watch things on my ipad.

Maybe they can add something more useful like an anti-glare screen. I'm the star in every movie I watch on a plane.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
50+ year old tech that works great, and God damn it with the waterproofing... :doh:

Dropped my phone in the sink a couple times, I'll take it. And it works great, just like a CD plays great music. Not really a concern for me worth worrying about, technology advances.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dropped my phone in the sink a couple times, I'll take it. And it works great, just like a CD plays great music. Not really a concern for me worth worrying about, technology advances.
No, the point was it can be waterproof and have it...

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, the point was it can be waterproof and have it...

Yup and you can make a CD player that doesn't skip too.

Yes they can take the opening in the phone through the headphone jack which provides the weakest link for water to get in and design and test their own methods of throwing in rubber seals and hoping they don't unseat as people constantly plug and unplug from that spot, and get it to be water resistant (maybe it holds, maybe it doesn't).

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But they didn't take it out to make it waterproof, they did for the reason I stated above.
I know... that's why I'm pointing it out...

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup and you can make a CD player that doesn't skip too.

Yes they can take the opening in the phone through the headphone jack which provides the weakest link for water to get in and design and test their own methods of throwing in rubber seals and hoping they don't unseat as people constantly plug and unplug from that spot, and get it to be water resistant (maybe it holds, maybe it doesn't).
Have you ever heard of someone wearing out a headphone jack? I've plugged in a lot of headphones in my time, that is not something I've ever experienced, or heard of...

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you ever heard of someone wearing out a headphone jack? I've plugged in a lot of headphones in my time, that is not something I've ever experienced, or heard of...

absolutely, that's why they had to add the rubber ring in there, because the jack moves around and needed more sealing. Granted if your phone isn't waterproof how do you know? I have had a few walkmans in the past where you have to turn that thing just right or lean it on a ledge and put some weight on it because it moved around.

Just with wireless headphones now outselling wired ones is reason enough to dump that and use that gaping hole for something else. The issues with the wires cutting out is the real one I think I would be happy with getting rid of. Add in the need to engineer a 50 year old piece of tech that creates a giant hole of nothing but air rather than hardware to have a waterproof seal, it makes no sense to keep it there.

This sounds like the same thing when people complained about losing their 1.44 floppy drives and only having that USB thingy... And people upset about losing their CD Rom's to make room for other hardware.

154364_10150352300490607_752085606_16205303_3683338_n.jpg

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
absolutely, that's why they had to add the rubber ring in there, because the jack moves around and needed more sealing. Granted if your phone isn't waterproof how do you know? I have had a few walkmans in the past where you have to turn that thing just right or lean it on a ledge and put some weight on it because it moved around.

Just with wireless headphones now outselling wired ones is reason enough to dump that and use that gaping hole for something else. The issues with the wires cutting out is the real one I think I would be happy with getting rid of. Add in the need to engineer a 50 year old piece of tech that creates a giant hole of nothing but air rather than hardware to have a waterproof seal, it makes no sense to keep it there.

This sounds like the same thing when people complained about losing their 1.44 floppy drives and only having that USB thingy... And people upset about losing their CD Rom's to make room for other hardware.

154364_10150352300490607_752085606_16205303_3683338_n.jpg
That's sounds like a lot of BS man... just because something's old doesn't mean it needs to be replaced, it's not at all like floppy disks... wired headphones are still superior to wireless, it's not outdated technology. I use Bluetooth headphones every day, so it's not like I'm trying to fight it or desperately trying to hang on to some antiquated technology... I just want to figure out what is actually gained (and sorry, but it's not waterproofing...). The only thing I can see being worth it if a bigger battery is what you're trading it for. That's not the case in this case...