• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

With Apple apparently dumping the 3.5 headphone jack...

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the iPhone 7, is it a trend that other manufacturers are going to follow in the nearish future?

I'm not an apple/iPhone guy (though I'm due for an upgrade, and for the first time ever I've put a little thought into switching, this is probably something that will put an end to those thoughts anyway), but, is this something we can expect to see universally, or just another example of apple being apple?

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So my $300 noise cancelling headphones now need a dongle to connect to my $700 phone?

Still makes me glad I recently chose to upgrade to the SE.

Sounds like apple being apple. Do they expect people to choose between charging their phone and listening to music on their headphones?

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So my $300 noise cancelling headphones now need a dongle to connect to my $700 phone?

Sounds like apple being apple. Do they expect people to choose between charging their phone and listening to music on their headphones?

Nice to see you found us and nice humble brag.

Reactions: ill

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice to see you found us and nice humble brag.

hahaha, isn't everybody's smartphone $700 after you pay monthly installments to whatever carrier these days?

I'd be pretty annoyed having to choose between listening to music on a flight while trying to catch a nap or charging my phone to make sure I have enough juice to scan my mobile boarding pass.

I understood apple's switch from the 30 pin connector to the lightning port. These rumors of only a lightning port remove functionality rather than progress functionality.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hahaha, isn't everybody's smartphone $700 after you pay monthly installments to whatever carrier these days?

I'd be pretty annoyed having to choose between listening to music on a flight while trying to catch a nap or charging my phone to make sure I have enough juice to scan my mobile boarding pass.

I understood apple's switch from the 30 pin connector to the lightning port. These rumors of only a lightning port remove functionality rather than progress functionality.
I always liked with my iPod Shuffle how the head phone jack port also served as the port to charge it, but I agree that a phone needs to have both options. Surprised they didn't say that they can only be charged through wireless charging pads or something. That would be a very Apple thing to do.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Apparently... it makes no sense to me. 3.5mm phone jacks have worked out pretty great for everyone for a long time. I don't care to switch to Bluetooth anytime soon, so hopefully this'll just be an apple thing. Maybe they'll even go back to it for future models, though that doesn't seem like something they'd do, or need to do... people will buy it, and all the necessary accessories to solve all these problems.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently... it makes no sense to me. 3.5mm phone jacks have worked out pretty great for everyone for a long time. I don't care to switch to Bluetooth anytime soon, so hopefully this'll just be an apple thing. Maybe they'll even go back to it for future models, though that doesn't seem like something they'd do, or need to do... people will buy it, and all the necessary accessories to solve all these problems.
Apple used to include headphones with their phones. Maybe they will include bluetooth headphones? They can be pretty cheap.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apple used to include headphones with their phones. Maybe they will include bluetooth headphones? They can be pretty cheap.
Word is they're including headphones with a lightning (or whatever their version of micro USB is called) connection. Seems there's also some speculation they they might just include their normal ear buds with an adapter. I don't remember seeing anything about them including Bluetooth earphones, but that would probably go a long way in getting people on board.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apple sucks and you shouldn't buy their products.

Get an android.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As this is Apple, they will create the new 3.6mm jack and charge $45 dollars for a converter while Apple supports jerk themselves off talking about how smart Apple is to bring this "innovation".

The fact is, with out Jobs around to steal and repackage other peoples innovation Apple is in for a decline.

Kudos to Apple for inventing the Surface Pro though.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apple sucks and you shouldn't buy their products.

Get an android.
that's always been my take, but I've realized I've gone through three popular phones from 3 big brands, and have never really been satisfied after 2 years. I really have nothing left to try but apple.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that's always been my take, but I've realized I've gone through three popular phones from 3 big brands, and have never really been satisfied after 2 years. I really have nothing left to try but apple.

I've had a LG G3 for 2 years now, but my work pays for it.

I had an Iphone 3 for about 7 years before that.

So in the past 9 years I've basically had a total of 2 phones. Even though the iphone lasted that long, I wasn't at all interested in a newer one.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've had a LG G3 for 2 years now, but my work pays for it.

I had an Iphone 3 for about 7 years before that.

So in the past 9 years I've basically had a total of 2 phones. Even though the iphone lasted that long, I wasn't at all interested in a newer one.
That's just mind blowing to me. I'd have no problem keeping a phone for as long as it's still supported by the manufacturer if it's in otherwise good shape, but my phones are on their last leg by the time I'm due for an upgrade. I take pretty good care of them too, at least compared to how I see other people treat their stuff. It's still always something that's fucked (in addition to the battery, which I figure is a given, and just the nature of batteries...).

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's just mind blowing to me. I'd have no problem keeping a phone for as long as it's still supported by the manufacturer if it's in otherwise good shape, but my phones are on their last leg by the time I'm due for an upgrade. I take pretty good care of them too, at least compared to how I see other people treat their stuff. It's still always something that's fucked (in addition to the battery, which I figure is a given, and just the nature of batteries...).

Yeah, everyone around me is constantly tearing up their phones. I refuse to buy anyone else in the house anything better than a $50 android because they tear shit up so much.

I think the battery is what ultimately did my iphone in, and I couldn't replace it easily. I saw kits that would allow a battery change(or take it to apple, who can suck my dick for doing things just for that reason), but by that point it was really time for a new phone. I was happy my android battery is simple to replace.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crazy, and lame that they went with including standard headphones with an adapter... Glad my thoughts of switching were short lived.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would lose one of those little headphones in no time. What a stupid idea, Apple.