• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Windows 10 Update notification

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you know when Windows 10 is downloading updates? It never lets me know. It just fucking does it. I have slow ass (1.5mbps) internet. My internet has been downloading something for 2 hours. How do I find out what is? I miss being able to schedule MS updates.

blue_suns

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's exactly why I got the Pro edition. You can choose when Windows restarts the computer when it updates (which is bullshit that you have to pay extra for it)

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are a few things you can do to tame down Windows 10 data usage, but if you have the home edition you have more limitations on those options.

If you use a wireless connection you can set it as a metered connection (just google it, easy to set) and it won't automatically do updates anymore. It will prompt you instead. If you are wired and have home you are stuck with a registry hack to deal with it. That edit takes a few extra steps because its a protected value, but backup your registry first and just follow the instructions and it will be fine.
How to Set an Ethernet Connection as Metered in Windows 8 and 10

You should also see what other bandwidth it is using. It's not just those updates that could be taking up your data. Make sure

Lookup Data Usage on your machine (windows key, type data usage) and look at the details of what is taking up your data. Tracks the last 30 days I believe. You might be surprised what is causing your issues and it might be more of your apps than Windows.

You REALLY want to disable the peer to peer updating that is on by default if you didn't disable it at some point. MS now tries to tell you that sharing your PC's bandwidth with others gives you updates faster! Well, I doubt that, but it sure does save them money by using YOUR bandwidth to update others instead of their servers.

Also look into disabling live tile and automatic application updates. Turning these off might help save a little bandwidth here and there.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are a few things you can do to tame down Windows 10 data usage, but if you have the home edition you have more limitations on those options.

If you use a wireless connection you can set it as a metered connection (just google it, easy to set) and it won't automatically do updates anymore. It will prompt you instead. If you are wired and have home you are stuck with a registry hack to deal with it. That edit takes a few extra steps because its a protected value, but backup your registry first and just follow the instructions and it will be fine.

You should also see what other bandwidth it is using. It's not just those updates that could be taking up your data. Make sure

Lookup Data Usage on your machine (windows key, type data usage) and look at the details of what is taking up your data. Tracks the last 30 days I believe. You might be surprised what is causing your issues and it might be more of your apps than Windows.

You REALLY want to disable the peer to peer updating that is on by default if you didn't disable it at some point. MS now tries to tell you that sharing your PC's bandwidth with others gives you updates faster! Well, I doubt that, but it sure does save them money by using YOUR bandwidth to update others instead of their servers.

Also look into disabling live tile and automatic application updates. Turning these off might help save a little bandwidth here and there.

Very good advice. These are the first 2 things I do when I get a new PC for anyone.

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This here is some deep shit.