• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Will the 2017 Steelers Defense Be A Reincarnation of the Steel Curtain?

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I'm hearing from training camp and what I'm seeing and the names I'm seeing on our roster, is it possible that this can be a top 5 defense in the NFL? And to push it further, can this defense rival the original Steel Curtain defense?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've got all the right pieces in place to be one of the more dominant units in the league... We saw it down the stretch last season when they were leading the league in sacks after whatever week it was. And the crazy thing was that was WITHOUT Heyward. ATL & I have been talking about how it all boils down to the 3rd down defense. Which goes hand in hand with the pass rush. Having Dupree, Shazier, Heyward & Tuitt all healthy will be huge. And now with Watt showing so much potential they can keep Deebo fresh. Also we cannot undermine the depth they have. Especially on the D-Line. Alualu, Walton, McCullers, Maxey... Heard Alualu was tossing DeCastro around in drills. Not often do you hear of a backup D-Lineman throwing around a pro-bowl O-lineman. Granted Alualu was a pro-bowler himself, and selected 1st team all-pro.

The secondary should be vastly improved, and will benefit immensely from a dominant pass rush regardless of scheme (man/zone). Burns & Davis are the catalyst. Other than the scheme, one of the bigger questions will be the slot CB position. Gay is the current placeholder. Sutton, Sensabaugh, Hilton, & Golson are all battling for the position. Should be interesting to see how it shakes out in camp.

The short answer is: "hope so", and the long answer is: "I really hope so".

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I'm hearing from training camp and what I'm seeing and the names I'm seeing on our roster, is it possible that this can be a top 5 defense in the NFL? And to push it further, can this defense rival the original Steel Curtain defense?

Top 5? Maybe.

Rivaling the Steel Curtain?...No...the Steel Curtain had dominant HOF players at every level of the DEF. It's a different era, the game is played a little differently now, but imo this DEF has a long long way to even be compared to the Steel Curtain.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top 5? Maybe.

Rivaling the Steel Curtain?...No...the Steel Curtain had dominant HOF players at every level of the DEF. It's a different era, the game is played a little differently now, but imo this DEF has a long long way to even be compared to the Steel Curtain.
I agree. The Steel Curtain intimidated opposing offenses by smashing them right in the mouth, they were feared. You can't do that today. And the LBs played all 3 downs, they never came off the field. You don't see that much anymore.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've got all the right pieces in place to be one of the more dominant units in the league... We saw it down the stretch last season when they were leading the league in sacks after whatever week it was. And the crazy thing was that was WITHOUT Heyward. ATL & I have been talking about how it all boils down to the 3rd down defense. Which goes hand in hand with the pass rush. Having Dupree, Shazier, Heyward & Tuitt all healthy will be huge. And now with Watt showing so much potential they can keep Deebo fresh. Also we cannot undermine the depth they have. Especially on the D-Line. Alualu, Walton, McCullers, Maxey... Heard Alualu was tossing DeCastro around in drills. Not often do you hear of a backup D-Lineman throwing around a pro-bowl O-lineman. Granted Alualu was a pro-bowler himself, and selected 1st team all-pro.

The secondary should be vastly improved, and will benefit immensely from a dominant pass rush regardless of scheme (man/zone). Burns & Davis are the catalyst. Other than the scheme, one of the bigger questions will be the slot CB position. Gay is the current placeholder. Sutton, Sensabaugh, Hilton, & Golson are all battling for the position. Should be interesting to see how it shakes out in camp.

The short answer is: "hope so", and the long answer is: "I really hope so".

Just imagining Dupree, Shazier, Heyward, Tuitt and Harrison all healthy gives me goosebumps haha. That's a defense to be feared. It sucks that Golson and Sutton were on the initial depth chart as "not participating" due to injuries. Our offense suddenly doesn't look as good though. Bell hasn't signed, Bryant is still waiting to hear from the NFL front office, Sammie Coates and Demarcus Ayers are injured. So healthy WRs, we have Brown, Hamilton, Heyward-Bey, Hunter, Rogers and Smith-Schuster. Let's get healthy gents! And Bell, you better sign that damn contract!! With James Conner injured, our starting RB is Fitzgerald Toussaint. :gaah:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just imagining Dupree, Shazier, Heyward, Tuitt and Harrison all healthy gives me goosebumps haha. That's a defense to be feared. It sucks that Golson and Sutton were on the initial depth chart as "not participating" due to injuries. Our offense suddenly doesn't look as good though. Bell hasn't signed, Bryant is still waiting to hear from the NFL front office, Sammie Coates and Demarcus Ayers are injured. So healthy WRs, we have Brown, Hamilton, Heyward-Bey, Hunter, Rogers and Smith-Schuster. Let's get healthy gents! And Bell, you better sign that damn contract!! With James Conner injured, our starting RB is Fitzgerald Toussaint. :gaah:

I'm excited about the front 7 as well...still no dominant pass rusher, so we'll have to see how aggressive Butler will be allowed to be....they need to get that sack total back in the 45-50 range. They need Dupree to be that 8-10 guy and a bunch of guys in that 4 to 6 sack range. Then I think teams will start to look at the Steeler DEF in a different light.

OFC...I'm not real concerned....I don't expect to see Bell until there about the 21st of AUG. He has put himself on stage...he can't come into camp out of shape, etc...he should be ready to go.

I'm hoping the big kid Watson gets to show what he has...there has been enough said about Connor...just get healthy.