• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL Will Notre Dame win the appeal against the NCAA?

Can they?

• Total voters

nathans8823

Well-Known Notre Dame Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 203.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wondering what you guys think. I believe they easily can.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the NCAA likes to back down on their rulings. They make the decision, ND appeals, then they get to decide if they were right. It would be like letting the on field officials make the call on whether their first call was right. I think it's an uphill battle. It all comes down to whether they think a student tutor is an employee of the university.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They may not appeal the findings so much as the punishment.

The frustrating thing is that ND was a textbook case of what a university is supposed to do. When they became aware of the transgressions, they self-reported, they took immediate action against the involved parties.

Vacating wins seems superficially appropriate because the "ineligible" players participated, but, again, its not like ND knew of those circumstances and still let them play, such as at other institutions.

Besides, if the NCAA can back down and reinstate Paterno's wins after what went down at Penn St., there's really no reason why they shouldn't do so here as well.

That said, once the NCAA makes up its mind, its hard to change it, especially after the amount of time they took on this one.

And yet the UNC's and Ole Miss's of the world don't miss a beat.

Vyle203

Costco Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 181.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we lose this. There has been precedent set for these type of infractions, and I think the position of the person responsible will he ruled irrelevant.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes they will win most people in the in have said NCAA has no case to do what they did especially because ND already took care of everything when they found out. Its not like they were hiding it and they also helped the NCAA with their investigation.

ND has already stated they arent taking their 12-0 banner or sign down. So either way it doesnt matter. the only bad thing is we will fall way behind the leader in wins of college football in the record books.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They may not appeal the findings so much as the punishment.

The frustrating thing is that ND was a textbook case of what a university is supposed to do. When they became aware of the transgressions, they self-reported, they took immediate action against the involved parties.

Vacating wins seems superficially appropriate because the "ineligible" players participated, but, again, its not like ND knew of those circumstances and still let them play, such as at other institutions.

Besides, if the NCAA can back down and reinstate Paterno's wins after what went down at Penn St., there's really no reason why they shouldn't do so here as well.

That said, once the NCAA makes up its mind, its hard to change it, especially after the amount of time they took on this one.

And yet the UNC's and Ole Miss's of the world don't miss a beat.
This is a great point. To punish a team who did the right thing would look bad on the NCAA and no school will come forward anymore if they find findings at their school.

Also another great post about PSU. No way in hell NCAA wins this case. ND has one of the best groups of lawyers. In the end maybe they take away 1-2 scholarships.

bbirish73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could care less if they take wins away. That has no affect on the program going forward. They still won those games. That is like saying Reggie Bush never won the heisman. Yes, as a matter of fact he did. I just don't get the $5,000 fine. What the hell is that? NCAA is so dumb

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a great point. To punish a team who did the right thing would look bad on the NCAA and no school will come forward anymore if they find findings at their school.

Also another great post about PSU. No way in hell NCAA wins this case. ND has one of the best groups of lawyers. In the end maybe they take away 1-2 scholarships.
Well, the big barrier is, of course, Jenkins voluntarily agreed to vacate any wins where ineligible players were involved. He came out when the frozen 5 story first broke and said so. I don't know why they would concede that.

But I agree with @bbirish73 's point. Its such a stupid punishment. The games were played, people know the outcome. The only ones who care are the ones who tout the all-time winning percentage. With the vacated wins, it would knock us to third place all time (with TX right on our heels).