• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Will Nebraska (3-4) Become Bowl Eligible In 2017?

Will Nebraska Become Bowl Eligible in 2017?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10/28 - @ Purdue (3-3)
11/4 - Northwestern (3-3)
11/11 - @ Minnesota (3-3)
11/18 - @ Penn St (6-0)
11/24 - Iowa (4-2

Good coaching could get wins in most of these games, bad coaching won't. I do wonder if Riley even coaches anything. He does not give inspiring pep talks obviously. He shows absolutely zero emotion and doesn't seem to grasp how to exploit a team's weakness and over-rule the coordinators. He is more of a media spokesmodel and that is it. He needs to pack his bags,

Total Offense
93. Purdue
65. Northwestern
107. Minnesota
33. Penn State
99. Iowa

Total Defense
75. Purdue
59. Northwestern
26. Minnesota
9. Penn State
70. Iowa

Nebraska has played four prolific offenses in Arkansas State, Oregon, Wisconsin, and Ohio State. Only Purdue gets close to facing something like that.

Minnesota's defense is over-rated as the teams they have played have no offenses.

Iowa looks like Nebraska, can beat the bad teams but loses to good teams. Iowa did play Penn State tough in Iowa City. Iowa has to face Ohio State and Wisconsin still.

Purdue is playing tough. Purdue has played Louisville, Michigan, and Wisconsin, but played well in every game.

Northwestern is just like Nebraska. Beats the bad teams, loses to good teams.

Penn State is a loss no matter how you spin it. Penn State has not played anyone good, but their team is good and well coached.

We find out how good Penn State is in this three game stretch.

Last edited:

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah but no one talked about it. I wrote before I voted so I did not see it until after I voted.

Yeah on the auto bid, I was being sarcastic about being selected at 6-6. Because they will be a bad 6-6 team. barely beat Sunbelt, lost to MAC, lost to PAC 12, steamrolled by Wisconsin and Ohio State, probably steamrolled by Penn State, and then ekes out three wins against the worst P5 Division in football(hopefully).

We all knew it was Wisconsin and then the rest of the teams would be battling for second. I think I predicted Wisconsin wins the West and everyone else not named Illinois or Purdue finishes 7-5. Looks like I am wrong about Purdue. Then, I drank too much Koolaid and went with Nebraska going 8-4. After watching the Ark State game, I realized the coaches were full of crap and were talking out of their derriere.

The Bowl Games Nebraska might make

No matter what, I will never attend a Pinstripe Bowl Game, ever.

I might attend a Quick Lane Bowl, because I am not sure if Quick Lane is a bowling alley or car repair. Plus, I have never been to Detroit and I always wanted to attend a Motor City Bowl. Bob Seger is a Detroit guy. BTW, I don't bowl with a bowling ball. I will assume Detroit looks a lot like Philadelphia with burned out and abandoned buildings every where. Plus, we could drive south from Detroit to get to Canada.

I might attend a bowl game in Dallas as I have lots of friends there. None of them are Nebraska fans.

Too bad Nebraska won't be going to Florida as that would be an easy attend for us since our son is currently in Orlando.

I will attend a Music City Bowl sometime in my life, my wife and I love Nashville. Almost went last year, but we were in scramble mode on getting our son situated for Grad School in Orlando on very short notice.

Yeah. I figured you'd posted before you voted. I'm not seeing 6-6 there.

Penn St is an obvious ass kicking in Happy Valley. I'm not buying into that "Riley always beats/upsets someone he shouldn't". He had a couple USC upsets at Oregon St and that somehow turned into him doing it every season. That was Oregon St where they were overlooked. This is Nebraska and even though they're a shell of their former selves, they are still a name and people don't overlook them.

That means Nebraska needs 3 wins in 4 games Purdue, Northwestern, Minnesota, Iowa.

Purdue is arguably the 2nd best team in the west. Certainly the best 3 win team. They held Wisconsin to 17 points in Madison and only lost by 8. Wisconsin has Maryland next so they weren't 'looking ahead'. Purdue lost to Louisville Lamar by 7. Purdue beat the Fighting Frankies, Misery, and Minnesota like they should have (double digits). I'm not a big believer in Bye weeks being a benefit. They typically seem to hurt Nebraska. Besides, the rhetoric from the staff about 'we know what we did wrong here and there, and it's an easy fix' is old and worn out. We've heard it every week now. Purdue, on the road, at night, with Purdue coming off a likely win over Rutgers, at (4-3), looking for bowl eligibility, is a loss. I wouldn't be surprised to see Purdue finish (8-4).

Northwestern is a coin flip, but I'll give Nebraska a win at home 'slinging it'. It's the Huskers best chance at another win IMO. If Northwestern loses to Michigan St and Iowa the next two weeks, they'll have added incentive to win this to remain in contention for bowl eligibility. After those two they finish with Nebraska, Purdue, Minnesota, and Illinois.

Minnesota is another coin flip. Their defensive numbers have stayed good across the board in spite of 3 straight losses. They have little offense, but that is countered with Nebraska having little defense. Minnesota's defense keeps this close, but I think Nebraska wins by a field goal.

Iowa is just better up front and plays more disciplined. They'll keep it simple and let Nebraska beat themselves in Lincoln.

(2-3) finish
(5-7) overall

Little chance at an APR (5 win) bowl bid as 3 of our future opponents get in with 5 wins ahead of Nebraska regardless of head-to-head.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes - 6
No - 10

Thus far

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Riley gonna quash my one and only remaining defense of Nebraska football ?

That.......,"You'd have to go back 56 years (1961) to a season when they won less than 5 games. Even then it's only happened twice (2004 and 2007)."

tejas has had two 4 win seasons in that time frame (1988 and 1997)
Oklahoma has had two 3 win season's (1965 and 1996) and one 4 win season (1997) in that time frame.
Ohio St has has two 4 win seasons (1966 and 1988) in that time frame.
USC has had one 3 win season (1991) and two 4 win seasons (1961 and 1983) in that time frame.
Michigan, Alabama, etc have all had multiple season's with less than 5 wins in that time frame.

I don't want to lose my "Yeah we suck, but not as bad as you have".

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't believe people think we're gonna make it to 6-6

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off, I think people see the name Purdue and are automatically like "oh yea they're like Illinois and Rutgers."

They're nothing like either of those teams. In fact, Purdue would probably beat Oregon this year.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tenor.gif

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has Erick Smith watched football this year?

I'm thinking not. Auburn should be at least (8-4). They would crush Nebraska.

Would the Taxslayer even take a 6 or 7 win team? That used to be the Gator Bowl.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking not. Auburn should be at least (8-4). They would crush Nebraska.

Would the Taxslayer even take a 6 or 7 win team? That used to be the Gator Bowl.

That's what I'm sayin......we would damn neared have to win out to get in that bowl game.

Does he think we're gonna take it to Penn State on the road?

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess a 7 win team can get in. Last season 7-5 Kentucky got in.
The season before, 7-5 Penn State got in.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, like I said. First we gotta get past Purdue before we can even begin thinking about a possibility of bowling.

We should be underdogs going in to that game.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huskers v Notre Dame in pinstripe.

but they gotta lose 2 more i think

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya all are crazy, we aint making no bowl, and if we do we have to play misery in the toilet bowl to see which turd is the biggest turd of all

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya all are crazy, we aint making no bowl, and if we do we have to play misery in the toilet bowl to see which turd is the biggest turd of all

no..i don't think mizzou is making a bowl....

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Who cares? The season is shit anyway. At least a bowl game will shorten the off season. If even by a couple of weeks.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Purdue losing at Rutgers (6-14) with 3 mins left in the 3rd. :shocked: