• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Will Dissly!

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KIDDING ME!? I never would've thought we would've snagged him but LOVE seeing a UW alumni stay home. Dissly is without question the best blocking TE. With him and Dickson... goodbye running woes. We should have an EXCELLENT blocking group compared to 2017.

What a transform from our 2017 team... going with two sub par blockers (Graham/Willson) to one of the best blocking TEs in the league (Dickson) and the best blocking TE prospect on the board.

So you GET the strategy now, Penny haters? "OH he can't block and Seattle's O-Line sucks!" Yah... we don't need Penny to block now. This is amazing insurance for when Dickson leaves or gets injured (in his 30s).

Seattle finally getting back to what they won a SBOWL with. Now if Green can just get coached up...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was hoping for Shaquem Griffin with that pick, but I'm fine with Dissly. I can see some 12 personnel formations with Dickson & Dissly and maybe once again pushing people around and imposing our will on offense.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was hoping for Shaquem Griffin with that pick, but I'm fine with Dissly. I can see some 12 personnel formations with Dickson & Dissly and maybe once again pushing people around and imposing our will on offense.

We can get Griffin with one of our 5ths... spending a 4th on Griffin would've been a reach IMO. Dissly gives us far better stability in the ground game which had to be 100% a priority this year. The fact Wilson led the team in rushing and no RB went over 250 yards is absolutely pathetic.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm looking forward to the Seahawks being able to utilize 2 TE sets with Dickson and Will Dissly. Seems the Seahawks really are committed to building that run game back up, especially with the signing of D.J. Fluker who graded as a great run blocker, but is one of the NFL's worst pass blockers.

It's worth adding that Dissly graded as a 6th - UDFA type player though. Yes, he was the best run blocker in the class but I see his ceiling as being a #2 TE who will come in with the sole purpose of blocking. Luckily I also see his floor as roughly the same thing. You definitely know what you're getting here.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can get Griffin with one of our 5ths... spending a 4th on Griffin would've been a reach IMO. Dissly gives us far better stability in the ground game which had to be 100% a priority this year. The fact Wilson led the team in rushing and no RB went over 250 yards is absolutely pathetic.

I'm not upset with the pick, but if you're talking about a reach, Dissly is a huge reach. He is much more of a reach than Griffin would've been.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I'm fine with the pick...but getting a guy in the 4th who you may be able to get in the 5th isn't much of a reach, IMO. If you like the guy, get the guy. But like I said, I'm cool with Dissly. Really should be able to get the ground game rejuvenated in short order with what we've done -- adding Duane Brown, drafting Pocic, signing Fluker, new OC, new OL coach, signing Dickson, drafting Penny, and now drafting Dissly. That is a lot of effort spent to turn it around.

pittpnthrs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Vannetts obviously a bust at this point if we're drafting another blocking TE with so many holes to fill. I understand the pick, but I dont like it. Would have rather seen a CB of lineman taken.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not upset with the pick, but if you're talking about a reach, Dissly is a huge reach. He is much more of a reach than Griffin would've been.

Dissly should be able to start in formations immediately. With the depth we have in the secondary (safeties) and Wagner/Wright, Griffin will not likely even see the field. Dissly will see the field a lot in run formations and especially the goal line which Seattle has been historically TERRIBLE at.

Dissly is also a hard worker. I personally love this pick. I was curious if we were going to take a TE and who... I'd rather have a great blocking TE who works hard and can potentially improve the receiving game than Griffin. Look I get Griffin has lots of athletic ability, but he's a niche player.. a cross between a safety and linebacker... we just don't need a player like that right now.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Vannetts obviously a bust at this point if we're drafting another blocking TE with so many holes to fill. I understand the pick, but I dont like it. Would have rather seen a CB of lineman taken.

Vannett IMO is not a blocking TE... I heard some analysts say he was a good blocker during that draft and I thought they were out of their fucking mind.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmm....could be (bust), but we will also likely have 3 TEs on the roster anyway. If nothing else, this should light a competitive fire under Nick V's ass. If it doesn't, then this is probably a well aimed shot.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dissly should be able to start in formations immediately. With the depth we have in the secondary (safeties) and Wagner/Wright, Griffin will likely even see the field. Dissly will see the field a lot in run formations and especially the goal line which Seattle has been historically TERRIBLE at.

Dissly is also a hard worker. I personally love this pick. I was curious if we were going to take a TE and who... I'd rather have a great blocking TE who works hard and can potentially improve the receiving game than Griffin. Look I get Griffin has lots of athletic ability, but he's a niche player.. a cross between a safety and linebacker... we just don't need a player like that right now.

Dissly will not be the #1 TE. He will likely see action in 2 TE formations, but his receiving ability is very, very limited. He's substantially worse as a receiver than Ed Dickson is. Dissly is a one dimensional player who could've ever gone undrafted. I'm not opposed to the pick, but I would've preferred we use a 6th or 7th round pick on him. I'm certain he would've still been on the board.

I disagree with you saying that the Seahawks don't need a cross between a safety and a linebacker. There's a possibility that Kam may never play again, and the Seahawks do have a hole at weakside linebacker along with minimal depth at linebacker to begin with. I think Griffin's versatility provides a lot of value in that regard. Additionally he would make a big impact on special teams.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not opposed to the pick, but I would've preferred we use a 6th or 7th round pick on him. I'm certain he would've still been on the board.
Sorry, but BS flag. There is just NO WAY you can be certain of something like this. At best, you could be "confident" it could happen if you have like 10 alternate reality drafts to compare it to, but as far as I know this is the only version of history we have.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dissly will not be the #1 TE. He will likely see action in 2 TE formations, but his receiving ability is very, very limited. He's substantially worse as a receiver than Ed Dickson is. Dissly is a one dimensional player who could've ever gone undrafted. I'm not opposed to the pick, but I would've preferred we use a 6th or 7th round pick on him. I'm certain he would've still been on the board.

I disagree with you saying that the Seahawks don't need a cross between a safety and a linebacker. There's a possibility that Kam may never play again, and the Seahawks do have a hole at weakside linebacker along with minimal depth at linebacker to begin with. I think Griffin's versatility provides a lot of value in that regard. Additionally he would make a big impact on special teams.

If Kam can't play again we have McDougald and Hill. You really think Griffin would replace Kam better than those two guys?

This Seattle draft and free agency has been 100% about improving the run game. I also highly doubt Dissly would've gone undrafted (let alone 6th-7th round) given he's very coachable and a team player. Walter Football said, "Blocking TEs grow on trees." Sure Walt.. that's why you criticize teams with shitty blocking TEs every year...

I do agree we have a DEPTH issue at linebacker but we have Mingo/Jordan who can also move schematically to linebacker. Mingo is actually decent against the rush/coverage. He's just not that great pass rush wise hence the bust status given the position he was taken.

We needed another TE, and it didn't need to be a receiving one if we really think Van can fill that role (which I hope he can given the pick we spent). Ed Dickson is not going to be around for that long IMO.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, but BS flag. There is just NO WAY you can be certain of something like this. At best, you could be "confident" it could happen if you have like 10 alternate reality drafts to compare it to, but as far as I know this is the only version of history we have.

I don't seem to be the only one who believes this:

NFL Draft & Combine Profile - Will Dissly | NFL.com

2018 NFL Draft Profiles: Tight End Will Dissly

Will Dissly NFL Draft 2018: Scouting Report for Seattle Seahawks' Pick

If you have an issue with my use of "certain," perhaps it would be more accurate if I said "extremely likely he's available in the 5th or 6th rounds." Would that make you feel better?

It's a reach no matter how you spin it.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If you have an issue with my use of "certain," perhaps it would be more accurate if I said "extremely likely he's available in the 5th or 6th rounds." Would that make you feel better?

Well, I'll just echo a comment from a few minutes ago: drafting a guy in the 4th who "should" be there in the 5th really isn't much of a reach. If you like the guy, get the guy.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's a fairly quiet TE class... I'm not sure he would've been there with our 5th, but regardless the need to add good blocking to our team and find our future Ed Dickson was big. Dissly is one of the better prospects to come along in with that regard in a while. Seattle was at their best with Zach Miller who VERY much mirrors Dickson/Dissly. Hard working, great blocker, reliable.

It's the same reason I didn't get the hate around the Penny draft with a bunch of analysts and talking heads screaming about, "OMGOMGOMG Seattle needs secondary and defensive ends!" Right... and yet we had a runningback by committee in 2017 that couldn't get over 250 fucking yards.

I get drafting for value, but I also realize that Wilson is about to be 30... we need to help him succeed as much as possible.

I just don't get how you're saying Griffin is a better pick than Dissly here. I'd much rather have Dissly over Griffin given the role that Dissly can IMMEDIATELY play. I mean we're almost up to our 5th pick and Griffin is still there, so who cares?

Dickson has also HEAVILY struggled with injuries, and his primary goal here is to block. If he goes down we're fucked at TE blocking if that's our strat.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Kam can't play again we have McDougald and Hill. You really think Griffin would replace Kam better than those two guys?

This Seattle draft and free agency has been 100% about improving the run game. I also highly doubt Dissly would've gone undrafted (let alone 6th-7th round) given he's very coachable and a team player. Walter Football said, "Blocking TEs grow on trees." Sure Walt.. that's why you criticize teams with shitty blocking TEs every year...

I do agree we have a DEPTH issue at linebacker but we have Mingo/Jordan who can also move schematically to linebacker. Mingo is actually decent against the rush/coverage. He's just not that great pass rush wise hence the bust status given the position he was taken.

We needed another TE, and it didn't need to be a receiving one if we really think Van can fill that role (which I hope he can given the pick we spent). Ed Dickson is not going to be around for that long IMO.

I don't believe Griffin would be better than McDougald or Hill, but Griffin offers youth and versatility. I believe McDougald was given a 2 year contract.

I'm unsure if he goes undrafted, but I'd say the 6th round evaluation is pretty accurate given he offers very, very little in the passing game. Sure he may be coachable in terms of improving his technique as a run blocker, but you can't teach athleticism. Dissly is a limited athlete and does not possess the ability to be a very strong pass catcher and therefore his ceiling is limited as a #2 TE/someone you can use rotationally.

Am I happy we landed Dissly? Yes. As a diehard UW fan am I happy to see him selected much higher than he should've been? Definitely. As a Seahawks fan, I'm very dissatisfied where we took him.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I'll just echo a comment from a few minutes ago: drafting a guy in the 4th who "should" be there in the 5th really isn't much of a reach. If you like the guy, get the guy.

Doesn't it make more sense to use the pick on someone else and select Dissly later?

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean we're almost up to our 5th pick and Griffin is still there, so who cares?
Yep, and we have 4 5th rounders I think, and 2 of them are coming up pretty soon. I would love to see the Griffin brothers reunited in the PNW.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't believe Griffin would be better than McDougald or Hill, but Griffin offers youth and versatility. I believe McDougald was given a 2 year contract.

I'm unsure if he goes undrafted, but I'd say the 6th round evaluation is pretty accurate given he offers very, very little in the passing game. Sure he may be coachable in terms of improving his technique as a run blocker, but you can't teach athleticism. Dissly is a limited athlete and does not possess the ability to be a very strong pass catcher and therefore his ceiling is limited as a #2 TE/someone you can use rotationally.

Am I happy we landed Dissly? Yes. As a diehard UW fan am I happy to see him selected much higher than he should've been? Definitely. As a Seahawks fan, I'm very dissatisfied where we took him.

I mean fair in regards to 'where'. I agree it's a little early, but I'm 100% on board with the strategy.

IMO this is a very deep secondary class and there's very little available in TEs or blocking (at least post early 2nd). I'd rather grab the best blocking TE in the draft now, than hope he's around later. We have a glaring need at the position in future years and LIKELY this year when Dickson could very easily go down (as he's done basically every year in his career).