• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Will Boise State ever enter an auto CFP conference aka "BCS" conference?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't read what you're saying, Bitch Armstrong, but guaranteed you're being a dripping c*nt.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drip.... drip.... drip...

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair they did beat a top 10 team in the Fiesta Bowl two and a half years ago with a first year coach. And they beat them pretty damn soundly. Their third Fiesta Bowl win in nine seasons after getting jobbed out of several other opportunities.

To be honest, I had forgotten about that game; but it was against a 12th-ranked Arizona team that had lost to Oregon 51-13 in their previous game, so the Wildcats were damaged goods at the time. But Boise did end the season on a 9-game winning streak.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you for reminding everyone how the big 12 fucked up when they took West Virginia instead of Louisville. Hopefully they don't repeat that mistake.

Actually, I don't think the Big 12 had much choice in the matter since Louisville was already leaning toward the ACC.

I bring to you the argument of West Virginia in the Big 12.....Much like Boise and their success, it is amazing what WV has been able to do considering what they have. It's West Virginia folks....They are on an island in the Big12, yet the Big 12 picked them up. I think Big12 picked WVU due to their on field success and not because they provide much more of anything else.

There's only minimal similarities in this instance. West Virginia has been - for the most part - a highly-regarded team for about 40 years now (not that there haven't been "off" years). Boise St. has only risen to prominence in the last dozen or so years. The Mountaineers have built a large fan base during that time, and also have a lot of peripheral followers due to their long - but currently dormant - rivalries with teams like Penn St., Pittsburgh, and Maryland, as well as the exposure they gained by being part of the Big East.

And, while the state of West Virginia is not a prime recruiting territory, their visibility in the area gives them (and the teams that play them on a regular basis) plenty of exposure in nearby Ohio, Virginia, and the District of Columbia. The Mountaineers also have a P-5 friendly stadium (over 60,000 capacity) while BSU does not. And a long successful tradition in basketball that has been absent in Boise until very recently. That's why UWV is in a major conference and Boise is not.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair they did beat a top 10 team in the Fiesta Bowl two and a half years ago with a first year coach. And they beat them pretty damn soundly. Their third Fiesta Bowl win in nine seasons after getting jobbed out of several other opportunities.

To be honest, I had forgotten about that game; but it was against a 12th-ranked Arizona team that had lost to Oregon 51-13 in their previous game, so the Wildcats were damaged goods at the time. But Boise did end the season on a 9-game winning streak.

The CFP committee had them ranked 10th going into the Fiesta Bowl. They were Pac 12 South champions and were the only team to defeat Oregon in the regular season. The same Oregon team that went on to beat undefeated Florida State by a worse margin than that in the playoffs.

But I understand your point. Beating #3 TCU and #7 Oklahoma were much more impressive Fiesta Bowl wins than beating a team they didn't win their own conference. And unlike the Frogs and Sooners, Arizona's never been on a stage like that before.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately for BSU, they do not bring anything to the table. No TV market, awful recruiting grounds, average academics and average overall athletic department. When TCU was gearing up for a possible move to the Big 12, they raised almost $500M to improve their facilities. Not sure BSU has that kind of jack......

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How exactly is your market bigger?

Boise and the surrounding area has nearly half the population of the entire state of West Virginia

Boise itself has 4 times as many people as Charleston

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boise and the surrounding area has nearly half the population of the entire state of West Virginia

Boise itself has 4 times as many people as Charleston

The state of Idaho has a population of 1.683 million people.

The state of West Virginia has a population of 1.831 million people.

Not including the major markets of Pittsburgh and D.C. That regardless of what anyone says still carries WVU games on root sports and masn. How exactly does Boise have a bigger market?

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The state of Idaho has a population of 1.683 million people.

The state of West Virginia has a population of 1.831 million people.

Not including the major markets of Pittsburgh and D.C. That regardless of what anyone says still carries WVU games on root sports and masn. How exactly does Boise have a bigger market?

They don't. Look, I like Boise and don't want to sound like I'm bashing them but Boise ain't on the same PLANET with WVU other than both have some really cool fans.
I see what some are trying to bridge together there but... it's just NOT there. WVU had history and tradition waaay before the BigEast days young Sparky's.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They don't. Look, I like Boise and don't want to sound like I'm bashing them but Boise ain't on the same PLANET with WVU other than both have some really cool fans.
I see what some are trying to bridge together there but... it's just NOT there. WVU had history and tradition waaay before the BigEast days young Sparky's.

My original intent was to use West Virginia as an example of a program in a relatively small market (vs other power 5 programs) can prove to be a good addition if it has a strong fanbase... Nebraska is another

I kind of went off on a tangent with my last post there

We don't quite have the tradition of a West Virginia or Nebraska, but our program is one of the more recognizable brands in college football.

In this whole silly hypothetical idea, I was saying adding our program to a big conference with a smaller market but recognizable brand and strong fanbase works a whole lot better than adding someone like Rutgers in a big market and hoping that someone in that big market actually cares about them

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although I don't know what the Idaho market does for the Big 12.
Listening to Sirius XM today while driving home. Talk was market size isn't going to be the determining factor anymore. It is going to be name recognition...which means blue blods.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shit, us and Rice can't even compete in C-USA.
do you think UTEP can beat rice, Iowa state and Kansas? just gotta schedule 3 non conference cupcakes and its a bowl game.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listening to Sirius XM today while driving home. Talk was market size isn't going to be the determining factor anymore. It is going to be name recognition...which means blue blods.

Honestly, it's probably always been like that. If market size really meant what it is suppose to mean,
Temple, Northern Illinois, San Diego State, etc, would have been gobbled up a long time ago.

Like the ACC taking Boston College for market size. FSU goes up there 9 or 10 years ago when
BC was #2 in the country. The story for the game was on page 8 of the paper. The North
is pro sports country. They could care less.

What does it matter how many people live in Boston. If nobody is watching the game on TV,
the size of the city is pretty irrelevant.

Now those numbers will mean something, when it is in an area that loves college football, but
this "footprint" stuff is only relevant when the residents are into college sports

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And that ain't us. But make no mistake. We have some fans and not just in the Boise area. We have built a brand. When Boise matches up on those occasions when we happen to play a team worth a shit, a big boy program, people watch. It's unfortunate that those opportunities are few and far between but more times than not, win, lose, or draw when it happens it is entertaining. If we played in a Power 5 conference those match ups would happen frequently and we'd have a shitload more money to help enable us to be right there in the mix.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that ain't us. But make no mistake. We have some fans and not just in the Boise area. We have built a brand. When Boise matches up on those occasions when we happen to play a team worth a shit, a big boy program, people watch. It's unfortunate that those opportunities are few and far between but more times than not, win, lose, or draw when it happens it is entertaining. If we played in a Power 5 conference those match ups would happen frequently and we'd have a shitload more money to help enable us to be right there in the mix.
But, are they tuning in to watch you guys, or are they tuning into watching that "team worth a shit"? If that team isn't one of the blue bloods, then this may be your ticket...as far as the conversation I heard yesterday.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, it's probably alys been like that. If market size really meant what it is suppose to mean,
Temple, Northern Illinois, San Diego State, etc, would have been gobbled up a long time ago.

Like the ACC taking Boston College for market size. FSU goes up there 9 or 10 years ago when
BC was #2 in the country. The story for the game was on page 8 of the paper. The North
is pro sports country. They could care less.

What does it matter how many people live in Boston. If nobody is watching the game on TV,
the size of the city is pretty irrelevant.

Now those numbers will mean something, when it is in an area that loves college football, but
this "footprint" stuff is only relevant when the residents are into college sports
The discussion was the revenue has already peaked in adding teams in large cable markets, i.e. Maryland and Rutgers for DC and NYC. The "new wave" of viewers int he NYC market desire watching tOSU and Ruters, not Minnesota and Rutgers AND resent having to pay for Minne/Rutgers just to get to watch tOSU/Rutgers. They'd rather use the money they pay for Minne/Rutgers to pay for an Oklahoma/Rutgers or Bama/Rutgers. They also don't want to pay for Iowa State/Rutgers or Kentucky/Rutgers. Again, it is the brand name they are desiring not just the conference affiliation of a team.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
do you think UTEP can beat rice, Iowa state and Kansas? just gotta schedule 3 non conference cupcakes and its a bowl game.
We can but we haven't in a while.