• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Wildcard game DUH Fish

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coaching... First off, shame on you Tomlin for having your starters in for that 2nd to last drive. Now we have Ben's health being questioned because of a bum ankle. And shame on Haley for calling a passing play that put pressure on Ben in a meaningless drive. Sure Ben could have avoided it, but he shouldn't have been put in that situation in the first place. Plenty of blame to be passed around for that situation, but my eyes are squarely on the coaches. Aside from that, fairly clean game on the stat sheets. 6 penalties for 60yds. But it was a very chippy game from the start. Glad to see both sides of the ball fired up like they were, but the extracurriculars after the plays need to stop. I don't care who starts that BS, those can cost you big time if its in a crucial situation. Need to play with more discipline. Offense started off hot but cooled down. Haley resorted to his vanilla playcalling which sputtered the offense at times. Wished he would have kept the aggression up but oh well. Butler called a great game. Dialed up a lot of creative blitzes to keep Matt Moore on his toes. If it weren't for the semi-porous secondary, this unit could have held the Dolphins out of the endzone altogether. B-

Offense... Plenty of highs and plenty of lows. Far-cry from a perfect day, but that'll do pig. 4 for 9 on 3rd downs (44%), yuck. Luckily they racked up the score early and the run game found plenty of success to grind out the rest. Ben only threw for 18 attempts. That's crazy. A couple of those throws were very ill-advised lol. Almost getting intercepted by a 300lb D-lineman wound up on the positive side of the highlight reel thanks to Jesse James. The last INT was on AB though. Brown caught a case of the dropsies late in the game. Hats off, as always, to the O-line. They only gave up a couple of hurries and 1 sack. For an O-line to do that in the postseason and in January (when defenses are keying on the run), that is phenomenal. Huge round of applause to the Goon Squad. Especially DeCastro essentially eliminating Suh. Offense ran the ball 35 times and averaged a whopping 5.1ypc. Unreal. If they keep playing like that then this offense can go the distance. Thankful to see Gilbert's injury wasn't serious. Also gotta give a shout out to the man, the myth, the legend, Le'Veon Bell. Sure the O-line kicked ass, but Bell made some excellent plays out there when the 'Phins D was in good position. Bell is a man on a mission. He will continue to be the focal point until a defense can shut it down. B+

Defense... Pretty good showing from this group. Sure they gave up chunk yardage in the passing game, but they were suffocating when & where they needed to be. They shut down Ajayi and wreaked havoc on Matt Moore. 5 sacks on the day. Huge game from Deebo to the tune of 10 tackles (6 solo), 1.5 sacks (plenty of QB hurries as well), and 1 forced fumble, and of course Timmons with 14 tackles (8 solo) & 2 sacks. The old guys continue to be the backbone of this defense. D-line played well. May not have showed up in the stat sheets, but Tuitt, Hargrave & Walton were forces out there. Need the secondary to tighten things up for the divisional round. They gave up a lot of underneath routes, and a few seam stretches. B+

ST... As I predicted the coverage units were lacking without Chickillo & Golden out there. 4 kickoff returns for 120yds. Ouch. Tyreek Hill will feast on this unit next week if they don't sort that shit out. Boswell had a good day aside from the XP clunker. Tough conditions out there today so I'm happy with it. 1/1 on FG attempts which is the more important stat. C+

Overall... Dominant win in the WC round. Albeit against a banged up team. Still, they did exactly what they needed to do. Dominate both sides of the ball and get out of this game healthy. Assuming Ben's ankle is a mild precaution! He already proclaimed that he will play, but they need him to be 100%. B

Outlook... Steelers hit the road to a brutal environment in KC for the divisional round matchup. Arrowhead has always been one of the toughest places to play for road teams, now add in the snow-shower forecast and an opponent licking its chops for revenge, you have a bad recipe for success. Forget the beatdown the Steelers handed KC in the regular season. This is playoff football. Throw all records out the window. But I'm sure KC hasn't forgotten. Steelers are going to need every bit of everyone's A-game next week. KC defense hasn't been playing their best football as of late, but they are still a very talented group and they have 2 weeks to prepare for this divisional round matchup. Hoping to get some good news on Ladarius Green soon, but they should still prepare to play without him. They can and will do just fine with the tools they have. As for the KC offense. Spencer Ware & Tyreek Hill should present a lot of problems. They are both lightning in a bottle. Open-field tackling will need to be on point. Shazier & Timmons will have to stay very disciplined to their gap responsibilities because those 2 have a great talent for cutting back and/or bouncing it outside. Alex Smith is a good QB but he has never really been a very threatening one. The offense they run is a sort of west-coast style dink & dunk. Andy Reid's bread & butter. Not exactly a favorable matchup considering the cushion Butler's defense gives which relies heavily on tackling. But they have figured out a way to beat these offenses in the past so lets hope Butler has the recipe. Defense should get Matthews back for help on the D-line. And Golden, Chickillo & Gilbert could be back to boost the ST cover units.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coaching... First off, shame on you Tomlin for having your starters in for that 2nd to last drive. Now we have Ben's health being questioned because of a bum ankle. And shame on Haley for calling a passing play that put pressure on Ben in a meaningless drive. Sure Ben could have avoided it, but he shouldn't have been put in that situation in the first place. Plenty of blame to be passed around for that situation, but my eyes are squarely on the coaches. Aside from that, fairly clean game on the stat sheets. 6 penalties for 60yds. But it was a very chippy game from the start. Glad to see both sides of the ball fired up like they were, but the extracurriculars after the plays need to stop. I don't care who starts that BS, those can cost you big time if its in a crucial situation. Need to play with more discipline. Offense started off hot but cooled down. Haley resorted to his vanilla playcalling which sputtered the offense at times. Wished he would have kept the aggression up but oh well. Butler called a great game. Dialed up a lot of creative blitzes to keep Matt Moore on his toes. If it weren't for the semi-porous secondary, this unit could have held the Dolphins out of the endzone altogether. B-

Offense... Plenty of highs and plenty of lows. Far-cry from a perfect day, but that'll do pig. 4 for 9 on 3rd downs (44%), yuck. Luckily they racked up the score early and the run game found plenty of success to grind out the rest. Ben only threw for 18 attempts. That's crazy. A couple of those throws were very ill-advised lol. Almost getting intercepted by a 300lb D-lineman wound up on the positive side of the highlight reel thanks to Jesse James. The last INT was on AB though. Brown caught a case of the dropsies late in the game. Hats off, as always, to the O-line. They only gave up a couple of hurries and 1 sack. For an O-line to do that in the postseason and in January (when defenses are keying on the run), that is phenomenal. Huge round of applause to the Goon Squad. Especially DeCastro essentially eliminating Suh. Offense ran the ball 35 times and averaged a whopping 5.1ypc. Unreal. If they keep playing like that then this offense can go the distance. Thankful to see Gilbert's injury wasn't serious. Also gotta give a shout out to the man, the myth, the legend, Le'Veon Bell. Sure the O-line kicked ass, but Bell made some excellent plays out there when the 'Phins D was in good position. Bell is a man on a mission. He will continue to be the focal point until a defense can shut it down. B+

Defense... Pretty good showing from this group. Sure they gave up chunk yardage in the passing game, but they were suffocating when & where they needed to be. They shut down Ajayi and wreaked havoc on Matt Moore. 5 sacks on the day. Huge game from Deebo to the tune of 10 tackles (6 solo), 1.5 sacks (plenty of QB hurries as well), and 1 forced fumble, and of course Timmons with 14 tackles (8 solo) & 2 sacks. The old guys continue to be the backbone of this defense. D-line played well. May not have showed up in the stat sheets, but Tuitt, Hargrave & Walton were forces out there. Need the secondary to tighten things up for the divisional round. They gave up a lot of underneath routes, and a few seam stretches. B+

ST... As I predicted the coverage units were lacking without Chickillo & Golden out there. 4 kickoff returns for 120yds. Ouch. Tyreek Hill will feast on this unit next week if they don't sort that shit out. Boswell had a good day aside from the XP clunker. Tough conditions out there today so I'm happy with it. 1/1 on FG attempts which is the more important stat. C+

Overall... Dominant win in the WC round. Albeit against a banged up team. Still, they did exactly what they needed to do. Dominate both sides of the ball and get out of this game healthy. Assuming Ben's ankle is a mild precaution! He already proclaimed that he will play, but they need him to be 100%. B

Outlook... Steelers hit the road to a brutal environment in KC for the divisional round matchup. Arrowhead has always been one of the toughest places to play for road teams, now add in the snow-shower forecast and an opponent licking its chops for revenge, you have a bad recipe for success. Forget the beatdown the Steelers handed KC in the regular season. This is playoff football. Throw all records out the window. But I'm sure KC hasn't forgotten. Steelers are going to need every bit of everyone's A-game next week. KC defense hasn't been playing their best football as of late, but they are still a very talented group and they have 2 weeks to prepare for this divisional round matchup. Hoping to get some good news on Ladarius Green soon, but they should still prepare to play without him. They can and will do just fine with the tools they have. As for the KC offense. Spencer Ware & Tyreek Hill should present a lot of problems. They are both lightning in a bottle. Open-field tackling will need to be on point. Shazier & Timmons will have to stay very disciplined to their gap responsibilities because those 2 have a great talent for cutting back and/or bouncing it outside. Alex Smith is a good QB but he has never really been a very threatening one. The offense they run is a sort of west-coast style dink & dunk. Andy Reid's bread & butter. Not exactly a favorable matchup considering the cushion Butler's defense gives which relies heavily on tackling. But they have figured out a way to beat these offenses in the past so lets hope Butler has the recipe. Defense should get Matthews back for help on the D-line. And Golden, Chickillo & Gilbert could be back to boost the ST cover units.

Good job, so good that I will roll with your grades.

Ben...Tomlin does deserve the most criticism for having Ben in the game, the game is essentially over. I'm sure he'll have some clever comment, but no excuse there. Good that you've noted some other blame...Haley shares it...if your HC is dumb enough to have the starter in there, you be smart, don't expose him by calling a pass play, punting is more than okay there. And Ben has to realize if your HC and OC are dumb enough to have you in there and calling a pass play...at that point climbing the pocket to buy time to make a play was not needed...throw it away, take the grounding...don't take the hit at that point in the game.

I thought the D played with a lot of spirit and fire...Gay is officially the worst player in the backfield...hate to see Hill against him in the slot next week.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good job, so good that I will roll with your grades.

Ben...Tomlin does deserve the most criticism for having Ben in the game, the game is essentially over. I'm sure he'll have some clever comment, but no excuse there. Good that you've noted some other blame...Haley shares it...if your HC is dumb enough to have the starter in there, you be smart, don't expose him by calling a pass play, punting is more than okay there. And Ben has to realize if your HC and OC are dumb enough to have you in there and calling a pass play...at that point climbing the pocket to buy time to make a play was not needed...throw it away, take the grounding...don't take the hit at that point in the game.

I thought the D played with a lot of spirit and fire...Gay is officially the worst player in the backfield...hate to see Hill against him in the slot next week.

Hell I called it a game before the 4th quarter started!!!!
Don't tell @FaCe-LeE-uS cause he argued with me
Ben shouldn't of been it at all in the 4th.....Fuckin Cheerleader!!!!

I have seen Gay do absolutely nothing for most of his career....I have no idea how this dip-shit has remained on this team for as long as he has!!!

:lol:

Cali Steel

Poster Extraordinaire !!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.18
Fav. Team #1
And to top off the day....
Joey Porter got himself arrested outside a Pittsburgh bar last night....

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell I called it a game before the 4th quarter started!!!!
Don't tell @FaCe-LeE-uS cause he argued with me
Ben shouldn't of been it at all in the 4th.....Fuckin Cheerleader!!!!

I have seen Gay do absolutely nothing for most of his career....I have no idea how this dip-shit has remained on this team for as long as he has!!!

:lol:

Agree on all counts, 4Q...anything can happen so I can see him playing the 1st series, but in the game that late up 18....Tomlin is really lucky this appears to be minor.

I really think cheerleader for lack of a better term is mostly what the Steelers need from Tomlin...although I'm still half on half off the band wagon with him, Haley can handle the OC job most of the time...Butler is proving to be a better DC than many thought...hell, Munch might be the best coach on the staff. Tomlin needs to create a competitive environment so guys don't get lax, and get them ready to play.

Gay...the good thing imo is...they've grown. When Gay was considered their best CB, you know they were never going to really compete for another title...so I can take him as the weakest link. Hopefully the kid Golson can make a showing next year.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree on all counts, 4Q...anything can happen so I can see him playing the 1st series, but in the game that late up 18....Tomlin is really lucky this appears to be minor.

I really think cheerleader for lack of a better term is mostly what the Steelers need from Tomlin...although I'm still half on half off the band wagon with him, Haley can handle the OC job most of the time...Butler is proving to be a better DC than many thought...hell, Munch might be the best coach on the staff. Tomlin needs to create a competitive environment so guys don't get lax, and get them ready to play.

Gay...the good thing imo is...they've grown. When Gay was considered their best CB, you know they were never going to really compete for another title...so I can take him as the weakest link. Hopefully the kid Golson can make a showing next year.

I agree about your thoughts on Tomlin, BUT he needs to put on the big boy pants and say, Ben, there's no reason risking your health....Have a seat!!!!

Let's face it, this team doesn't go anywhere is Ben, Bell, or AB gets hurt......