• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why the Lions should select Justin Gilbert at #10.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lion's new defensive scheme is said to bring forth a new agressive style with utilizing the blitz more and possibly implementing more 3-4 looks. Agressive play-calling calls for teams to be able to match up on the outside, allowing the defense to commit more players to pressure the QB. Cover CBs have becoming a more valued commodity than times past since teams are passing the ball more and more. WRs have also become more valuable than RBs these days, making it a must that defenses are able to match up. The best defenses are fast to the ball, fundamentally sound and create turnovers.

The Lions have struggled in these areas and have been miserable when it comes to getting turn-overs. The wide-nine defense allowed the team to commit plenty of resources to coverage and the team still found it hard to force turn-overs. Given the current roster, scheme and league trends, the Lions face similar issues. The fix is to find a compliment to 2nd year CB Darius Slay on the outside.

Slay should be ready to come in and prove his worth. He's got the size, speed and hands to be good in this type of defense. Chris Houston seems perfect for nickel duties, while moving outside when needed. Adding OSU, CB Justin Gilbert would give the Lions a good, young and talented group that could match up with some of the leagues best. Gilbert is just what the doctor ordered, coming in at 6'1 202, fast and athetic. Plus, he's a threat with the ball in his hands and he can return kicks.

Though, Gilbert may not be a lock to even make it to 10 since teams like Minnesota, TB and Buffalo have their hands full with teams inside the division that cause match-up problems on the outside. But if he is available at 10, the Lions should snatch him up.
l

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm OK with Gilbert at 10 but Cb's are generally not great as rookies. Lions fans are going to be pissed if Gilberts taken. If he starts we will struggle and these people are going to flip out and if he doesn't start that means he socks and people are going to flip out. Anything less less than getting 3 NFL mvps awards his rookie season will result in the bust label.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That cant be a reason for not ever taking a CB. To me, that'sa excuse not to take one. The way I see it is after the first year or two, you might have two damn good CBs for a long time. Some struggle more than others so we cant assume Gilbert will struggle any more or less than Slay did. This is why its good to have Houston there wen too. It kind of buys the team a little time to find the guys they need. One more guy should do it for this team.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give me WRs and CBs......ill take 3 of each.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take him so that's one less temptation for the Titans to fuck it up at 11.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd love that pick. Mack if he somehow slips would be ideal, Barr and Dennard would be good picks, too.

On offense Watkins if he slides or Evans seem like the only two realistic options on offense right now, maybe a tackle if one they really like slides.

Gilbert likely will wind up being the best defensive option available at #10.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
mack isnt going to slip to 10, theres talk he goes 1

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting read with some interesting points. Are you over the WR now Stop? Do the Lions pass on Mike Evans for Gilbert? Why Gilbert and not Dennard?

I think you're finally starting to see the light. Nice.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm OK with Gilbert at 10 but Cb's are generally not great as rookies.

Even more so in today's NFL. Slay's buddy in college Jonathan Banks had an awful year for the Bucs, and he was supposed to be the better of the two coming out.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just think Gilbert is the better player and offers a better play maker.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That cant be a reason for not ever taking a CB. To me, that'sa excuse not to take one. The way I see it is after the first year or two, you might have two damn good CBs for a long time. Some struggle more than others so we cant assume Gilbert will struggle any more or less than Slay did. This is why its good to have Houston there wen too. It kind of buys the team a little time to find the guys they need. One more guy should do it for this team.

I'm not saying they shouldn't take him. I am just saying that with many Detroit fans hell be considered a bust because of the natural progressions Cb's go thru.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying they shouldn't take him. I am just saying that with many Detroit fans hell be considered a bust because of the natural progressions Cb's go thru.

I havent seen many fans on here refer to any player as a bust after one season. Are there fans on here saying slay is a bust that im not aware of? Maybe the average NFL fan might consider gilbert a bust if he isnt successful in one year. It sounds like you just dont want the guy, which is fine. Saying you dont want him because some fans might label him a bust is a bit ridiculous though.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I havent seen many fans on here refer to any player as a bust after one season. Are there fans on here saying slay is a bust that im not aware of? Maybe the average NFL fan might consider gilbert a bust if he isnt successful in one year. It sounds like you just dont want the guy, which is fine. Saying you dont want him because some fans might label him a bust is a bit ridiculous though.

Dont twist my words. I never once said I didnt want him.

And yes there were many people, probably yourself included, that were shitting all over slay last year and shitting all over rookies every other year. Live in denial all you want it doesnt change anything.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dont twist my words. I never once said I didnt want him.

And yes there were many people, probably yourself included, that were shitting all over slay last year and shitting all over rookies every other year. Live in denial all you want it doesnt change anything.

No actually I didnt. But thanks for making a ridiculous assumption. I wouldnt expect much from a guy that thought the lions were legitimate super bowl contenders last year. I didnt twist your words at all, you were worried about drafting a CB at number ten for fear some fans might label him a bust too early. It looked to me as if you were trying to bait fans into an argument because that was a pretty asinine remark. So, so far you have accused me of stating he was a bust, who else do you want to blindly accuse?

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way, I didnt like the titus young, leshoure, or ryan broyles signing at the time but fans should be able to voice their concerns about everything the lions do without being accosted by you, the guy who continuously thinks the lions can do no wrong even after year after year of losing teams. Dont let reality hit you too hard in the face.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
mack isnt going to slip to 10, theres talk he goes 1

Talk from Houston thats trying to drum up interest for the #1 overall pick. It is no secret that O'Brien wants Bortles and maybe even Manzel over Bridgewater, and if he gets say the Browns or Jags to jump up they make out like bandits!

It's that time of year when the GM speaks they lie!

Gilbert is not a Patrick Peterson. I think the Lions can find better value at 10. If they took him it would only be a small reach so I could see the Lions going that route not a huge fan but wouldn't be majorly disappointed!

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10 is a good spot to take the best CB in the draft.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers waived CB Justin Gilbert.

The eighth overall pick in the 2014 draft by Cleveland, Gilbert was acquired by the Steelers for a 2018 sixth-round pick around last fall's final cuts. He failed to earn meaningful defensive snaps and played ineffectively on special teams. The Steelers deemed Gilbert unworthy of his $970,000 salary. Gilbert's ex-teammates with the Browns have openly suggested he lacks passion for the game.
Related: Steelers