• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why isn't Arias being called up?!?

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are currently playing the worst offensive player in Adrianza based on Craw's injury. He's shown to be terrible at the dish and frankly, I haven't been overly impressed with his defense during his time. Why aren't we letting Arias play SS in Craw's absence? It doesn't make sense to me to continue to play a guy that is obviously in over his head. Thoughts?

This is also with the unchecked knowledge that Arias was playing for Sac after being DFA'd.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are currently playing the worst offensive player in Adrianza based on Craw's injury. He's shown to be terrible at the dish and frankly, I haven't been overly impressed with his defense during his time. Why aren't we letting Arias play SS in Craw's absence? It doesn't make sense to me to continue to play a guy that is obviously in over his head. Thoughts?

This is also with the unchecked knowledge that Arias was playing for Sac after being DFA'd.
I believe the Giants have actually allowed Arias to take the rest of the year off, essentially ending his tenure with the team. He is not even with Sacto anymore (physically, I mean).

Why they arent giving Noonan a shot is a better question, but I dont really think it is a huge difference. Without Craw, whomever we put there is pointless.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe the Giants have actually allowed Arias to take the rest of the year off, essentially ending his tenure with the team. He is not even with Sacto anymore (physically, I mean).

Why they arent giving Noonan a shot is a better question, but I dont really think it is a huge difference. Without Craw, whomever we put there is pointless.

Thanks for the Arias update. Although Noonan will not be Craw, Adrianza showed no ability to be able to hit mendoza now or in the future. He looked completely overmatched.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the Arias update. Although Noonan will not be Craw, Adrianza showed no ability to be able to hit mendoza now or in the future. He looked completely overmatched.
Agreed.

But we have not seen Noonan play SS. His minor league rep when he was a prospect for us was that he was passable, but REALLY a 2B. EA's rep was that he was +++ SS D with a project bat. It looks like his bat, AT BEST, is AAAA, and his D does not look like it translates to the majors (not sure how defense can be stellar in the minors and sub-par in the bigs, though).

I fear what we may see with Noonan's glove in the majors.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed.

But we have not seen Noonan play SS. His minor league rep when he was a prospect for us was that he was passable, but REALLY a 2B. EA's rep was that he was +++ SS D with a project bat. It looks like his bat, AT BEST, is AAAA, and his D does not look like it translates to the majors (not sure how defense can be stellar in the minors and sub-par in the bigs, though).

I fear what we may see with Noonan's glove in the majors.

Can Tomlinson play SS and move Noonan over to 2B?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can Tomlinson play SS and move Noonan over to 2B?
Yes.

But KT was shaky at 2B when he started, but is somewhat solid now. Not sure it would be the best idea RIGHT NOW to pull the rug out from under him.

VASFfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess this answers the question I had (privately) about why bring up Noonan and NOT Frandsen, who is pretty versatile, has a major league track record, AND has been at Sacramento nearly all year. One thing he can't do is play SS, and Noonan has at least some experience at it.

Still, if I'm Kevin Frandsen, I might be more than a little ticked that I put in all that time at AAA and no call up during the season. But then, no one said life is fair.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was asking why Arias wasn't brought either but then I remembered he wasn't exactly a hitting machine in 2015 either. Not sure he would be any better. Also, the point cal makes about him being done is interesting. I noticed that he was put on the temporarily inactive list about a week or two weeks ago in Sacramento. There was some roster shuffling so I thought they were doing the same thing they had done earlier with Mac Williamson when the roster was fluid and too many guys were available for all the roster spots. It makes me wonder why the Giants brought Arias back after dfa'ing him earlier this year when they had plenty of veteran middle infielders stacked in Sacramento at that time.
As for the other middle infielders that were in Sacramento -
Brandon Hicks - Brought back this off season, Hicks spent considerable time on the disabled list. When he was active, he played 28 games at 2B, 7 games at 3B and no games at SS. He hit .230/.319/.320.
Carlos Triunfel - He was signed in the offseason as a minor league free agent. He's played 30 games at 3rd, 24 at SS and 24 at 2B. He spent some time on the disabled list this season and, when healthy, posted an okay .269/.289/.408. Not normally numbers worthy of a minor league vet being called up.
Kevin Frandsen - He was signed in early June after the D-Backs let him go. He played 48 games at 3B, 18 games at 1B, 16 games at 2B and no games at SS. He hit .264/.329/.348.
Everth Cabrera - He was picked up late July after the Orioles dfa'd him. He played 12 games at 2B and another 12 at SS (and two at CF). His numbers were pretty bland - .239/.297/.259. He only stole 7 bases in 27 games.

No one stuck out offensively and only Cabrera and Triunfel even played shortstop. The options weren't great.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was asking why Arias wasn't brought either but then I remembered he wasn't exactly a hitting machine in 2015 either. Not sure he would be any better. Also, the point cal makes about him being done is interesting. I noticed that he was put on the temporarily inactive list about a week or two weeks ago in Sacramento. There was some roster shuffling so I thought they were doing the same thing they had done earlier with Mac Williamson when the roster was fluid and too many guys were available for all the roster spots. It makes me wonder why the Giants brought Arias back after dfa'ing him earlier this year when they had plenty of veteran middle infielders stacked in Sacramento at that time.
As for the other middle infielders that were in Sacramento -
Brandon Hicks - Brought back this off season, Hicks spent considerable time on the disabled list. When he was active, he played 28 games at 2B, 7 games at 3B and no games at SS. He hit .230/.319/.320.
Carlos Triunfel - He was signed in the offseason as a minor league free agent. He's played 30 games at 3rd, 24 at SS and 24 at 2B. He spent some time on the disabled list this season and, when healthy, posted an okay .269/.289/.408. Not normally numbers worthy of a minor league vet being called up.
Kevin Frandsen - He was signed in early June after the D-Backs let him go. He played 48 games at 3B, 18 games at 1B, 16 games at 2B and no games at SS. He hit .264/.329/.348.
Everth Cabrera - He was picked up late July after the Orioles dfa'd him. He played 12 games at 2B and another 12 at SS (and two at CF). His numbers were pretty bland - .239/.297/.259. He only stole 7 bases in 27 games.

No one stuck out offensively and only Cabrera and Triunfel even played shortstop. The options weren't great.

Even with the options not being great, Adrianza is closer to hitting .100 then .200...and if that's the case, you better be Rob Deer, Mickey Tettleton, or Dave Kingman if you are going to hit a speed I travel on the freeway.

I would have rather had any of the above mentioned 4 then Adrianza at this point. How many overmatched at bats will he have before we look to try the ball boy instead?

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess this answers the question I had (privately) about why bring up Noonan and NOT Frandsen, who is pretty versatile, has a major league track record, AND has been at Sacramento nearly all year. One thing he can't do is play SS, and Noonan has at least some experience at it.

Still, if I'm Kevin Frandsen, I might be more than a little ticked that I put in all that time at AAA and no call up during the season. But then, no one said life is fair.

It's not for a lack of ML opportunities. Multiple teams have tried him and said NO THANKS so Idk what he would be expecting.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even with the options not being great, Adrianza is closer to hitting .100 then .200...and if that's the case, you better be Rob Deer, Mickey Tettleton, or Dave Kingman if you are going to hit a speed I travel on the freeway.

I would have rather had any of the above mentioned 4 then Adrianza at this point. How many overmatched at bats will he have before we look to try the ball boy instead?
Why bother being pissed at EA at this point? He has talent. No question about that. Might as well give him the reps now and hope he figures it out. He is 95% done with the Giants. Give him the opportunity to grab that last 5%. There isn't anyone else knocking down the door demanding the playing time.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why bother being pissed at EA at this point? He has talent. No question about that. Might as well give him the reps now and hope he figures it out. He is 95% done with the Giants. Give him the opportunity to grab that last 5%. There isn't anyone else knocking down the door demanding the playing time.

It's my irrational hope that the Giants start to get healthy and make a run...and I find EA to be a huge obstacle in the way offensively. If this were 2005, I wouldn't give a damn. But because we are technically in a pennant race, I don't want to continue to give at bats to a guy who is clearly out of his league (pun intended).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's my irrational hope that the Giants start to get healthy and make a run...and I find EA to be a huge obstacle in the way offensively. If this were 2005, I wouldn't give a damn. But because we are technically in a pennant race, I don't want to continue to give at bats to a guy who is clearly out of his league (pun intended).
We just lost 3 additional players to season-ending injuries. We are NOT in a pennant chase. For all intents and purposes, this IS 2005.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We just lost 3 additional players to season-ending injuries. We are NOT in a pennant chase. For all intents and purposes, this IS 2005.

Way to piss in my corn flakes Cal. Ha!

With that said, I don't have a problem playing the kids but at the same time, when it is THAT obvious that a prospect is in way over their head, I'd rather try other options to see if one of our other farmhands has a bat that can stick (pun intended) at the ML level.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

With that said, I don't have a problem playing the kids but at the same time, when it is THAT obvious that a prospect is in way over their head, I'd rather try other options to see if one of our other farmhands has a bat that can stick (pun intended) at the ML level.
With Panik about to come back and Crawford back in the lineup, I don't think you need to worry as much about Adrianza. He should be getting less playing time.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But there are no other farmhands to look at. KT is getting all the pt he can handle. Noonan is no longer a prospect. Frandsen, Cabrera, arias, etc are all just depth, if even. They are not in the picture for '16. EA has about a 5% shot of being in the picture, so might as well give him the left-over time to try to figure something out.