• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why I believe FL's Defense will be better in '11

ktg8trgrl

Go Gators!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the past five years, Muschamp's defenses have averaged 34.2 sacks per season. That includes ranking first nationally with 47 at Texas in 2008 and second with 44 in 2009.

In eight years as an NFL defensive line coach, coordinator Dan Quinn coached units that ranked in the top half of the league five times. That includes ranking in the top 10 four times and as high as No. 2 when he and Muschamp coached Miami in 2005.

Defensive line coach Bryant Young was a four-time Pro-Bowl tackle who played for Quinn in San Francisco. The coaching pedigree is there, and they hope the sacks will follow.

Defenses wins football games!

goDAWGSsicem

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't the best player on your team a CB that got kicked out of UF? (Janoris Jenkins)

jenkins_weed.jpg

ktg8trgrl

Go Gators!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't the best player on your team a CB that got kicked out of UF? (Janoris Jenkins)

jenkins_weed.jpg

One of the better players yes.. but it takes more then ONE player to make a team, I am confident with our new coach, with his experience and with the other two defensive coaches he has brought in.. to make the necessary changes to be a great defense...

ktg8trgrl

Go Gators!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Btw.. Marcus Roberson looks to be the next great CB, apparently he has been referred by coaches as the next Joe Hayden.. even though he's a freshman.. he may be our next great CB.... In practice he is getting great accolades.. I know this doesnt always translate into big game situations.. but hopefully it will.. he came from a pretty big time HS in St Thomas Aquinas..

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a pretty sweet looking banner you Gators have there

Santana8907

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Our defense will most certainly be better this year.

Our secondary could struggle at times, but the SEC isn't a passing league this year anyway. Our front 7 should be universally better than it was last year. We should actually be able to achieve a pass rush this year unlike last, which should help our secondary some.

We very likely could be starting 2 freshmen in the secondary with Roberson on one corner and Pop Saunders at the safety position opposite of Elam.

ktg8trgrl

Go Gators!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our defense will most certainly be better this year.

Our secondary could struggle at times, but the SEC isn't a passing league this year anyway. Our front 7 should be universally better than it was last year. We should actually be able to achieve a pass rush this year unlike last, which should help our secondary some.

We very likely could be starting 2 freshmen in the secondary with Roberson on one corner and Pop Saunders at the safety position opposite of Elam.

The closer to fb season we get, I feel more confident..just a feeling.. some kinda karma says we will be a surprise in the east and do far better then everyone is projecting.. mainly because of Muschamps way of getting these kids to gel.. I really felt like last year this team was divided in two.. older vs younger.. if what Ive read of CWM is true.. these kids will get it together and work out the voids.

Santana8907

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The closer to fb season we get, I feel more confident..just a feeling.. some kinda karma says we will be a surprise in the east and do far better then everyone is projecting.. mainly because of Muschamps way of getting these kids to gel.. I really felt like last year this team was divided in two.. older vs younger.. if what Ive read of CWM is true.. these kids will get it together and work out the voids.

There certainly isn't as many internal problems as last year. We were having issues before the season even started last year.

I think mixing up the lockers and giving everyone a fresh start has helped. A lot more intermixing between veterans and new guys.

pd_gator

Bleeds the O&B
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Btw.. Marcus Roberson looks to be the next great CB, apparently he has been referred by coaches as the next Joe Hayden.. even though he's a freshman.. he may be our next great CB.... In practice he is getting great accolades.. I know this doesnt always translate into big game situations.. but hopefully it will.. he came from a pretty big time HS in St Thomas Aquinas..

You mean Joe Haden! ;-) And I'm also hearing nothing but good things about Roberson as well, and it looks like he's wearing #5 just like Haden. The biggest compliment is they say his hips are perfect, which us one of the most important tools a CB needs to poses.

Giantpanda

Brings justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.... We will be much improved. I think muschampion will succeed here at FLA.

metal_frk_334

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Your coach has been giving up 20 points a game for the past 5 years. You can point to the difference in talent between the SEC and the Big 12 if you like, but there isn't a huge difference between the talent in Florida and Texas. Some would argue the talent in Texas is better. Point being, Muschamp is overrated as a defensive mind.

The Crimson King

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Your coach has been giving up 20 points a game for the past 5 years. You can point to the difference in talent between the SEC and the Big 12 if you like, but there isn't a huge difference between the talent in Florida and Texas. Some would argue the talent in Texas is better. Point being, Muschamp is overrated as a defensive mind.

He had the top defense in the SEC both years at Auburn. I believe those are the first two you listed

HighTide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Three of those teams had to be in or near the top 10 in scoring defense.

ktg8trgrl

Go Gators!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well.. realizing this was FAU.. we still did not allow them to score a touchdown with our D.. it is definetly much improved even over lasts years opener.. I believe we look more confident on both sides of the ball.. granted this is just the first game but sometimes this is all it takes to make the season go great.. GO GATORS!!

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Well.. realizing this was FAU.. we still did not allow them to score a touchdown with our D.. it is definetly much improved even over lasts years opener.. I believe we look more confident on both sides of the ball.. granted this is just the first game but sometimes this is all it takes to make the season go great.. GO GATORS!!

Like you said, it's FAU, but our D line was actually able to put on some pressure.

And, if I remember right, we had a hard time doing that last year against the cupcakes in our schedual, and some of the underwhelming SEC teams like Tenn.