• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why did we dump Freeney ?

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying Hausch isn't the better kicker, because he is. I'm saying that it wasn't such a cut and dried situation when he was allowed to leave. If it was common knowledge that Hausch would be having his best season since 2013 this year, then it would have been easy to give him the money and keep him, but for each of the last 3 seasons he played in Seattle - Hausch had a down year one way or another. His performance trend was not headed upward.

He hit almost 90% of his fg's last year, so how is 33-37 bad? I think the FO was looking for a fall guy and he fit the bill missing some critical kicks last season but I bet they wished they signed Haush now.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He hit almost 90% of his fg's last year, so how is 33-37 bad? I think the FO was looking for a fall guy and he fit the bill missing some critical kicks last season but I bet they wished they signed Haush now.

Maybe, but he missed 7 PATs as well....

Just ask Scott Norwood - it isn't always about the ones you make, but the ones you miss.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe, but he missed 7 PATs as well....

Just ask Scott Norwood - it isn't always about the ones you make, but the ones you miss.

5 of those were blocked to poor line play which isn't surprising.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5 of those were blocked to poor line play which isn't surprising.

To be fair, several of those blocks were due to his low kick trajectory as to any blocking issues. But, be that as it may - if we're laying losses at Walsh's feet for his performance - Hauschka shanking a 28 yard GW field goal in Arizona was the difference between #5 seed and #2 seed when it all came to the end. His shanked go ahead PAT against Arizona was never really hashed out because Arizona won in regulation on a FG making the miss moot. There was a time there when it appeared that he would never be able to be reliably counted on to make a PAT.

Only Jason Myers (12) and Dan Carpenter (11) have missed more PATs over the last 3 years than Hauschka (10, his 11th was during a playoff game). Carpenter is out of the league - and I'm not entirely sure why Myers isn't.

Again, not saying Walsh is the GOAT at kicker, just saying that its not like Hauschka was lights out over the last 3 years before he was allowed to leave. Walsh will need to pick up the performance if he wants to stay in the league much longer, though - since his biggest asset was his big leg - but this year he hasn't looked all that impressive with his range.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
freeney can onlyy play one side, and only rush, takes away a position on the field

I wonder if Freeney not sealing the outside has anything to do with getting cut. Against the Falcons he left the outside lane to loop inside and free lance. Allowed Ryan a free run for a big first down.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if Freeney not sealing the outside has anything to do with getting cut. Against the Falcons he left the outside lane to loop inside and free lance. Allowed Ryan a free run for a big first down.
That sounds logical to
Me

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, several of those blocks were due to his low kick trajectory as to any blocking issues. But, be that as it may - if we're laying losses at Walsh's feet for his performance - Hauschka shanking a 28 yard GW field goal in Arizona was the difference between #5 seed and #2 seed when it all came to the end. His shanked go ahead PAT against Arizona was never really hashed out because Arizona won in regulation on a FG making the miss moot. There was a time there when it appeared that he would never be able to be reliably counted on to make a PAT.

Only Jason Myers (12) and Dan Carpenter (11) have missed more PATs over the last 3 years than Hauschka (10, his 11th was during a playoff game). Carpenter is out of the league - and I'm not entirely sure why Myers isn't.

Again, not saying Walsh is the GOAT at kicker, just saying that its not like Hauschka was lights out over the last 3 years before he was allowed to leave. Walsh will need to pick up the performance if he wants to stay in the league much longer, though - since his biggest asset was his big leg - but this year he hasn't looked all that impressive with his range.

I know he shanked some bad ones last season but hitting FG's at a 90% clip is better then bringing in a head case that got booted mid season. Yes the missed Pat's are frustrating but at least I would have confidence Haush hitting a 50+ with the game on the line over Walsh.