• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why did 11 - 1 Alabama get picked over 12 - 1 Wisconsin?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Tressel was fired and then they hired Meyer?

What did I miss?

Urban quits at the end of 2010, Tressel gone in May 2011, Urban hired in Nov 2011 after a year with ESPN.

:scratch:

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, you got me there. But even UM isn’t stopping to the level of hiring Oregon retreads. Oregon brings on the coaches we fire.

The crazy thing is — FSU fans are happy about it.

Heaven forbid. At least we went to the Power 5 school...instead of the direct tie-in to San Diego
State and Ball State.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heaven forbid. At least we went to the Power 5 school...instead of the direct tie-in to San Diego
State and Ball State.

I didn’t realize Taggart worked as an assistant at FSU for 7 or 8 years before going off to coach at WKU and South Florida. :scratch:

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While going 9-2 with a MAC schedule is a tremendous accomplishment — I’m going out on a limb and saying winning a BCS bowl and finishing top 5 in the country is SLIGHTLY better.

And as I said — Saban is a great coach in the SEC. He left and immediately came back because he found out what a level playing field looked like in the NFL and he ran back to the SEC.

Outside the SEC — he is a solid coach, but nothing special. Which is why I said — what Urban Meyer has done, winning N.C. in two different conferences, as well as going undefeated at Utah in a season. That is winning no matter where you go. Saban has only won in the SEC.

Lol, I could care less about what Saban did at LSU, much less outside the SEC.

What is clear is that Jimmy Jam might have been a good coach elsewhere, but he is devolving into a mediocre coach at Michigan. So much so that you are left with pimping out your biggest rivals coach in an argument about the greatness of my coach.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn’t realize Taggart worked as an assistant at FSU for 7 or 8 years before going off to coach at WKU and South Florida. :scratch:

He was born in Bradenton. He's a Floridian. I suspect you already knew that and are just
trying to salvage some sort of respect in a debate that you lost many threads ago.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fickell in the middle.

He still is technically right. Meyer was announced as HC in Nov 2011 while Fickell was still finishing the season

I just figured him as being an interim coach who coached the season only due to timing. Didn't even remember the guys name if I'm being honest.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just figured him as being an interim coach who coached the season only due to timing. Didn't even remember the guys name if I'm being honest.

I would say it was a stop gap measure. Very possible that it was done with either Meyer
in mind or with Meyer already agreeing to take the job the following year.

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah he was never going to be named HC. Just a spot holder. I am glad Meyer retained him on his staff tho. Bama fans can remember that season as the one Ohio State helped them win a natty. Had Ohio State just taken a bowl ban that season when they were 6-6 the belief is they wouldn't have had a postseason ban the following season when they went undefeated and Bama crushed ND. Obviously, Alabama was better than both teams but I think an undefeated Ohio State would have gotten in over Bama with one loss

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah he was never going to be named HC. Just a spot holder. I am glad Meyer retained him on his staff tho. Bama fans can remember that season as the one Ohio State helped them win a natty. Had Ohio State just taken a bowl ban that season when they were 6-6 the belief is they wouldn't have had a postseason ban the following season when they went undefeated and Bama crushed ND. Obviously, Alabama was better than both teams but I think an undefeated Ohio State would have gotten in over Bama with one loss
You would have had to get by Nebraska. They had a nail biter that year in the CCG against Wisconsin.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was born in Bradenton. He's a Floridian. I suspect you already knew that and are just
trying to salvage some sort of respect in a debate that you lost many threads ago.

What does his birthplace have to do with qualifications to be HC at FSU? Are they that afraid the HC is going to leave again, that birthplace is at the top of their list of must haves?

I’d think a school like FSU would attract a lot of coaches attention — Taggart has only held a coaching position of any kind at a P5 school for 3 years (2 years as a RB coach, 1 year as a HC)
Yet FSU just handed him the HC job.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does his birthplace have to do with qualifications to be HC at FSU? Are they that afraid the HC is going to leave again, that birthplace is at the top of their list of must haves?

I’d think a school like FSU would attract a lot of coaches attention — Taggart has only held a coaching position of any kind at a P5 school for 3 years (2 years as a RB coach, 1 year as a HC)
Yet FSU just handed him the HC job.

Birthplace has nothing to do with it.

I had made the comment earlier that we went and brought him home. You responded that you didn't
know he had been an assist at FSU for 7 or 8 years. I was just correcting you or shaming your
lame ass attempt of mocking.

We could have gone and waited on others, if we had wanted to. Michigan would have been safe.
Who in the hell would want him? But, we needed to make a move quick and we had been compiling
a list since the 1st week of November. Willie was at the top of that list. So was Fuente at VPI
and Kiffin was also on the list. Innovative offensive minds that can recruit. Frost equally was on the list
but our search committee was informed early that Frost was already signed and sealed for NU.

Unlike, every where else Taggart has been he doesn't have to rebuild anything. Just simplify our offense
and get our skill people in place. He can hit the ground running here...and he will.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say it was a stop gap measure. Very possible that it was done with either Meyer
in mind or with Meyer already agreeing to take the job the following year.

Tressel was fired in May. That's after the spring game and after the entire coaching cycle for the year is done. Everyone's settled into their contracts and there aren't any available coaches.

Same thing happened to Alabama with Mike Price. Fired about the same time in the year, and we ended up bringing in Mike Shula, who had never been a HC before. We ended up with him for many years, when we should have gone the Ohio St route.

Of course, wouldn't have Saban now probably, so shit worked out.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thanks for lying Tressell!

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol, I could care less about what Saban did at LSU, much less outside the SEC.

What is clear is that Jimmy Jam might have been a good coach elsewhere, but he is devolving into a mediocre coach at Michigan. So much so that you are left with pimping out your biggest rivals coach in an argument about the greatness of my coach.

Im glad you finally agree with me. I wouldn’t care what he did either, but I was just pointing out the obvious.

And I’m not pimping out anyone. Not like it isn’t common knowledge Meyer and Saban are viewed as 1a and 1b for CFB coaches. I just stated what Meyer has done is more impressive because he has won everywhere he went, while Saban has won everywhere he went......in the SEC.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Birthplace has nothing to do with it.

I had made the comment earlier that we went and brought him home. You responded that you didn't
know he had been an assist at FSU for 7 or 8 years. I was just correcting you or shaming your
lame ass attempt of mocking.

We could have gone and waited on others, if we had wanted to. Michigan would have been safe.
Who in the hell would want him? But, we needed to make a move quick and we had been compiling
a list since the 1st week of November. Willie was at the top of that list. So was Fuente at VPI
and Kiffin was also on the list. Innovative offensive minds that can recruit. Frost equally was on the list
but our search committee was informed early that Frost was already signed and sealed for NU.

Unlike, every where else Taggart has been he doesn't have to rebuild anything. Just simplify our offense
and get our skill people in place. He can hit the ground running here...and he will.

You used Hoke as an example. If you didn’t know — he was an assistant coach at UM for 7 or 8 years, hence why I said I didn’t know Taggart was an assistant at FSU for 7 or 8 years.

And if FSU is happy with the hire — that’s all that matters. Who needs experience coaching in major programs anyways.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You used Hoke as an example. If you didn’t know — he was an assistant coach at UM for 7 or 8 years, hence why I said I didn’t know Taggart was an assistant at FSU for 7 or 8 years.

And if FSU is happy with the hire — that’s all that matters. Who needs experience coaching in major programs anyways.

He has experience. He has it at the lower level where he has to be a "coach" not just a CEO/recruiter
and he turned WKU around in a big way.

He turned USF around...made them an excellent mid-range team that could be competitive vs anybody
and he recruited well there. He got them more 4-star and 3-star players over a 4-year period of
time than 6 Big10 schools, 6 ACC schools, 4 Pac12 schools and 3 Big 12 schools.

At Oregon he started 6-1 until his QB went down. He'll have more than 1 QB at FSU.

We're happy.