• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why Blaming Fitz Is Faulty Logic

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Following the Texans 30-17 thumping at the hands of the Giants, a popular idea among Texans fans is that if we had replaced Fitzpatrick with Mallett that somehow things would have turned out differently.

Fitzpatrick had a bad game. Threw 3 interceptions. This is true. However, it is not as if the team played great and Fitzpatrick alone self-destructed and cost us this game.

This is the problem with this erroneous "quarterback-driven league" mentality. They fail to understand the importance of the entire team and how it can affect quarterback play.

From the very beginning of the game, the Giants came out more focused, more prepared, more intense. Except for DeAndre Hopkins, who played brilliantly, the Texans were flat as a pancake. That is just one sign of how outcoached the Texans were. The other is the failure to adapt and stop what the Giants were doing so effectively. All game long, Crennel stuck with going with 5 DBs as the Giants ran the ball against that defense at will. The Giants saw what was working and stuck with it and the Texans staff failed to adjust to stop it.

You can't blame Fitz for that.

Then there was our lack of running game. Arian Foster was a game time scratch and did not suit up. Blue and Brown just could not get it going. Perfect example. Third and one run gains nothing. Fourth and one run loses half a yard. So, yes, it's true. Ryan Fitzpatrick played well in the first two games because of the running game and when the running game wasn't there, he struggled. That's true of most quarterbacks in the league. Even Peyton Manning plays better when his running game can keep the defense honest. That's just Football 101.

Pass protection. If you watch highlights or can see the game again, pay close attention to the pocket each quarterback had. You will see how the Giants o-line formed a pocket, giving Eli time to find the open man and pick apart the Texans secondary with quick outs and slants all game. Then watch how the pocket would collapse on top of Fitz all game long. On two of the three interceptions, Fitz was hit while he was throwing the ball. It doesn't matter who you are, when you are hit while throwing the ball, the ball is not going to go where you wanted it to go. That's basic laws of physics. That's basic laws of motion. That's basic laws of football.

The interception just before the half was a horrible throw and just ugly all around. But even that play isn't all on Fitz. It's 3rd and 19. You are inside your own 10 yard line. There are less than two minutes left in the half. Why are you even passing the ball? Why are you calling that play, O'Brien? That was one mind-boggling decision by the coaching staff. Run the ball. Give one of the best legs ever in Shane Lechler a chance to kick the ball out of danger and go into the half just down 7-0 despite being thoroughly outplayed throughout the entire first half.

Then again, Lechler did get a punt blocked in the second half. I guess the Fitz haters think he failed to protect his punter on that play too.

Then there were just dumb plays even when Fitz was able to do good. Fitz airs one out and Nuke makes an amazing one-handed grab for a huge gain and a chance for some momentum. And it doesn't count because an idiot lined up wrong and the Texans get called for illegal formation.

Fitz's fault I am sure. Right?

We got a second and 7 and Fitz rolls out and hits the fullback in the hands for a good gain that sets up third and short or even gets a first down or even moves the chains. Except that the fullback dropped the ball and it brings up a third and 7 and then we don't get that either and have to punt. Of course, that was all Fitz's fault too.

Are you beginning to get the picture?

That was a team effort. Coaching. Blocking. Defense. Run game. Special teams. All phases of the team contributed to this loss.

To blame one guy is just stupid.

Period.

UnrealTerm04

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Fitzpatrick. I think he is a good QB but I'm not sure he can be a great QB. He played decent for us during the short time he was with us. One of the more memorable back up QBs we have had.

Matt Schaub laying an egg really hurt your team? What ever happened to him anyways? Were the Texans hiding an injury similar to Favre's arm injury with the Jets? Since Carr is injured, I wonder how Schaub will play?