• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why are umpires still allowed for fuck up games ?..

RomeDawg1956

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a Yankees fan to say the least, but the umpire robbed them of an important playoff game, it's past time they were taken out of the process of making calls.
The method is readily available to have perfect calls on balls and strikes with no game delays.
There are also juggs type systems like tennis uses to make near mistake proof calls on fouls, Hrs and every other call that affects the outcomes of games.
Umps.......yourrr out !

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a big supporter of Robo-umps for ball/strikes. But I am not convinced the technology is ready yet.

Jugs is a 2D solution. The strike zone is a 3D volume and is unique for each player (maybe even unique per pitch since a player could crouch or stand tall, thus changing the zone). While the technology may offer some assistance to a baseball solution, it is light years too simple for what will actually be needed

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JBJ might agree with you... That was a terrible strike 3 call.

Granted Butterfield sending the slowest member of the team in Moreland cost them the game

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terrible officiating, to say the least. But we won so I'm not gonna complain too much.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a big supporter of Robo-umps for ball/strikes. But I am not convinced the technology is ready yet.

Jugs is a 2D solution. The strike zone is a 3D volume and is unique for each player (maybe even unique per pitch since a player could crouch or stand tall, thus changing the zone). While the technology may offer some assistance to a baseball solution, it is light years too simple for what will actually be needed
While I don't disagree with your salient points, a player's individual strike zone is supposed to be the same regardless of how much he does or doesn't crouch.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I don't disagree with your salient points, a player's individual strike zone is supposed to be the same regardless of how much he does or doesn't crouch.
Not really true:

"The Strike Zone shall be determined from the batter's stance as the batter is prepared to swing at a pitched ball."

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The actual application of that isn't as literal as the wording sounds. "Prepared to swing" means actually beginning a swing, not just standing in the batters' box.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
interesting thread when the series would be over with proper umpiring.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The actual application of that isn't as literal as the wording sounds. "Prepared to swing" means actually beginning a swing, not just standing in the batters' box.
But the strike zone is supposed to change and not be universal as you suggested.

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yankee Stadium already has Free-D Technology so I don't see why it would be such a stretch to figure out how to apply it to the strike zone. If the tech is there to support autonomous driving with real-time reaction, I'm sure they can get it to call a ball/strike pretty quickly.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally disagree with taking the human element out of the umpiring, this isn't a video game.

Players need to adapt to what the ump is calling (hopefully he's consistent). The strike zone is already the size of a pack of cigarettes, let's not make it even easier for the batters.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally disagree with taking the human element out of the umpiring, this isn't a video game.

Players need to adapt to what the ump is calling (hopefully he's consistent). The strike zone is already the size of a pack of cigarettes, let's not make it even easier for the batters.
I actually don't think it would make it easier for the batter. We see pitches get missed all the time by umpires when the ball breaks out of the zone or when a catcher has to lunge because the pitcher missed his spot.

Pitching is about creating an illusion to fool the batter. This often fools the umpire as well. If the technology is there, use it.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But the strike zone is supposed to change and not be universal as you suggested.
Each batter is his own universe. They don't get multiple universes based on how they stand in the batter's box. Otherwise every time a situation demanded it batter's would be going full Eddie Gaedel up there.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually don't think it would make it easier for the batter. We see pitches get missed all the time by umpires when the ball breaks out of the zone or when a catcher has to lunge because the pitcher missed his spot.

Pitching is about creating an illusion to fool the batter. This often fools the umpire as well. If the technology is there, use it.

Then it's a good pitch.

Sorry, don't think there's anything that would change my mind.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I really don’t understand this whole “human element” argument when it comes to officiating. If there are judgement calls needed (like penalties in football or basketball, for example), than sure. A computer cannot do that. But a strike zone should be pretty cut and dry.

Looking at the human aspect for a PLAYER makes sense. They are the ones who are competing. Officials aren’t (shouldn’t be) competing. They should get it right.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then it's a good pitch.

Sorry, don't think there's anything that would change my mind.
A good pitch that he gets screwed for due to the limitations of the umpire.

How is that good?

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don’t understand this whole “human element” argument when it comes to officiating. If there are judgement calls needed (like penalties in football or basketball, for example), than sure. A computer cannot do that. But a strike zone should be pretty cut and dry.

Looking at the human aspect for a PLAYER makes sense. They are the ones who are competing. Officials aren’t (shouldn’t be) competing. They should get it right.

I'm convinced the NFL tells officials to call less penalties than should be. Especially to try and avoid blowouts.

last year's SB was an embarrassingly bad example of this.

Most of the penalties are NOT judgment calls.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm convinced the NFL tells officials to call less penalties than should be. Especially to try and avoid blowouts.

last year's SB was an embarrassingly bad example of this.

Most of the penalties are NOT judgment calls.
But how can it be automated? And if it were, there would be a flag on every play, it would kill the game (if it isn’t already dead)

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But how can it be automated? And if it were, there would be a flag on every play, it would kill the game (if it isn’t already dead)

players would adjust.

it would be fascinating.

You aren't taught to hold on every play until the NFL.

You would have far more pressure on QBs...but also WRs who are running free.

I think the game would be better.

Plus they'd get the 75% of passing being OPI right too.

RomeDawg1956

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've seen balls and strikes calls demonstrated using the technology vs humans, there is no comparison at all. The strike zone of a player is already factored in before he comes to bat, it's almost fool proof.
Humans suck, we're obsolete.