• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who's Hunting Tomorrow??

Neb4life

Eat more BEEF !!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,263.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got to hunt Saturday for about four hours. Not sure what was wrong but I did not shoot well. Made for some interesting language in the field.

Neb4life

Eat more BEEF !!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,263.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bow season starts Saturday !!!!!!! Tree therapy aww !

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bow season starts Saturday !!!!!!! Tree therapy aww !
Good luck man!

Bow season for elk just finished up for me. A ton of miles hiked and few elk seen but I did have a shot on a spike and muffed it, so I can't complain too much. I'm rifle deer hunting this year so it starts october 15th, and then I get to take the dog out pheasant hunting starting on the 22nd.

Neb4life

Eat more BEEF !!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,263.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good luck man!

Bow season for elk just finished up for me. A ton of miles hiked and few elk seen but I did have a shot on a spike and muffed it, so I can't complain too much. I'm rifle deer hunting this year so it starts october 15th, and then I get to take the dog out pheasant hunting starting on the 22nd.
Thank you. I put out a lot of protein and seeing some good bucks. Just coming out of the drought so I think we are a year or two away from the P & Y kind of deer but some cull bucks for sure.
Sorry you did not get an Elk but the fun you had.
We are going to have a record year on Quail. Five or six coveys a section.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you. I put out a lot of protein and seeing some good bucks. Just coming out of the drought so I think we are a year or two away from the P & Y kind of deer but some cull bucks for sure.
Sorry you did not get an Elk but the fun you had.
We are going to have a record year on Quail. Five or six coveys a section.
Elk can kick your ass mentally and physically for sure, but I wouldn't want it any other way.

I wish we had quail like that up here, there are some fun birds to shoot. The places I hunt usually have 1-2 coveys in the area and that's it. You have bobwhites down there right?

Neb4life

Eat more BEEF !!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,263.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elk can kick your ass mentally and physically for sure, but I wouldn't want it any other way.

I wish we had quail like that up here, there are some fun birds to shoot. The places I hunt usually have 1-2 coveys in the area and that's it. You have bobwhites down there right?
Yes Bob's and Blue Quail. About 70-30. The Blue Quail will run you like Pheasants.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes Bob's and Blue Quail. About 70-30. The Blue Quail will run you like Pheasants.

Hell, the bobs don't even sit tight any more. They've learned to run too.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, I got the dog out early Sunday before the Hawks game. Flushed a decent covey of Cali quail and went 0 for 5 on the little bastards :doh:. I don't know if there is anything that will crush your confidence more than quail!!!

So feeling pretty sorry for myself I decide to take the dog over to the pheasant area, it's not open for pheasant yet but figured it let the dog work a couple, and wouldn't ya know, a covey of Huns run across the road in front of me. It's all BLM out there so I park the car and let the dog on them and they flush. I pick one out and pull the trigger, click......a missfire???? WTF, So I pop the shell out and shove another one in real quick, just in time for another to flush and I mash the trigger a couple times....damn safety is on :doh:, breakaction automatically engages the safety every time I close it. A couple cuss words later and some childish foot stomping, I compose myself and head over to where they landed. The nice thing about Huns, is they only fly a couple hundred yards and group back up. So the dog and I head around a little bench to where they landed and I hear one flush. So I run around the rest of the way around the corner and the rest of the covey flushes up and I pick up a double! We flush the covey one more time and I get one more. I ended up redeeming myself and the dog is happy to actually get to retrieve a dead bird. Should have had a nice mixed bag of quail and Huns but hey, that's upland hunting :thumb:

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice finish!!!

Woodcock opens today here in MA. We pushed up a few for most of the late summer in a State WMA but didn't find any last week.

Who knows since the little buggers migrate. We'll at least finally be out in the field with a gun and tags....it's been a long time coming.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice finish!!!

Woodcock opens today here in MA. We pushed up a few for most of the late summer in a State WMA but didn't find any last week.

Who knows since the little buggers migrate. We'll at least finally be out in the field with a gun and tags....it's been a long time coming.
I don't think we have woodcock over here but we do have some snipe. Most of them I kick up when we are jump shooting ducks.

When does your pheasant season open? Your pup is 3 now?

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'll be two on 12/3

Our Pheasant season starts on 10/15.

Geese and Ducks on Monday 10/10

I'm near Great Barrington MA right near the border so I hunt birds in CT too

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'll be two on 12/3

Our Pheasant season starts on 10/15.

Geese and Ducks on Monday 10/10

I'm near Great Barrington MA right near the border so I hunt birds in CT too
Right around the corner! How's the out of state license cost?

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean you're near GB? Cool. I'll be hunting geese literally a couple of hundreds yards from the State line on Monday morning. I don't recall exactly how much it cost...maybe a hundred or so. My gun club is in CT and there's some nice State areas down that way.

Well whip got me a solid point in some heavy prickers today. It ran on him, and then broke, came straight back at me...missed...it passed and was going straight away from me....gun jammed! Shit, I didn't clean it but it cycled just fine a couple of weeks ago. Had to cut it short 'cause it was in the 70's today and pup got stressed. He only has one speed at this age. It was cool to get out though and the point was long and intense.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So about this morning's goose hunt...scouted yesterday and was stoked to find a flock of birds in the north field of the farm. Returned this morning at 4:45 a.m. to find that another group of hunters beat me to that field. FUCK! Those of you who know goose hunting know that they're creatures of habit and they'd likely return there. There had been no sign at all in the south field but there I was, so I decided that my advantage might be to tuck out of the 20 mph NNW wind near the treeline with a stealth set up. My avery finisher blind blended with some green stuff that was still growing so my blind at least, was perfect. I left the magnum sized shells back in the truck for 10 full body standers....a small but very realistic spread.

Only two small groups came in all morning on a bluebird day and they both came from the south and they both set in on me. The first was a set of four that landed above my blind so I had to sit up and then turn around to shoot and only got one. Then a pair dropped into my lap. I sat up and they were literally 15 ft from me. I also picked up a female wood duck that veered too close to my spread in the early light.

Those poor chaps never shot. I picked up and drove around to see what they were up to and saw that they set up on the crest of a hill some distance from where I had scouted the birds. Cripes, geese won't stand out in high winds...plus they had four guys to try to hide.

It all worked out for Homer.

f0275657-0ca3-4d98-a77e-335f93a21410_zpsqztfxj2q.jpg

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice! Are those going in your pepperoni pile or do you actually like goose?

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I use them to make jerky and it's terrific. That really was more of a meat hunt because I was out of goose for that purpose.

Tomorrow morning is the opening of pheasant season so I'm nearly off to bed. We'll hunt a few different properties tomorrow and be out a good deal of the day.

I may not hunt geese again until later in November.