• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who wins starting qb spot?

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curtis Drake was at least one guy who didn't follow and it resulted in :what:

LOL, he got knocked the F#$K OUT!!!

Where's Curtis Drake now though?? McGloin is in an NFL camp impressing Raiders, Drake in obscurity and a wasted talent as of now

fonze232

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, he got knocked the F#$K OUT!!!

Where's Curtis Drake now though?? McGloin is in an NFL camp impressing Raiders, Drake in obscurity and a wasted talent as of now

How O'Brien turned McGloin into a actual 3rd NFL QB option in one year is beyond me. That said, at 3rd string, the arm strength becomes less important as you are only going to be called into action to make good decisions and manage a game.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talked to my coworker who was at media day/practice yesterday and he said Hack is HUGE. Said both looked good, but Hack has stronger arm. BOB says Fergy has pulled slightly ahead, but mainly because of his knowledge of playbook. Hack gaining ground rapidly.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like Hack making big push after he lit it up at scrimmage Wednesday. Sounds like both are excelling so we'll be in good hands either way. Don't expect decision before next week though.

Ritzarmy

RIP WLK Loving father, husband, & friend to ALL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Ferg wins the job do they red shirt Hackenberg and any news if Breneman is going to red shirt?

Saw this article on pennstate.scout.com

Entering the second week of training camp, Penn State coach Bill O'Brien has yet to settle on a starting quarterback. But on a conference call with beat writers Thursday, O'Brien said, “I'm pretty close. I don't know if I have an exact day yet. But I'm pretty close.”
Vying to replace record-setting passer Matt McGloin are sophomore junior college transfer Tyler Ferguson and highly touted true freshman Christian Hackenberg.

“It's very even,” O'Brien said. “I spoke to both guys this morning, and I told them I couldn't be prouder of where they are at and how they've worked. They've both had a lot of good moments. They've both made their share of mistakes. It's very even.”

According to the second-year head coach, the competition has been something of a trial by fire. Neither quarterback was with the Nittany Lions last season, and they are both being asked to master the complex pro-style offense O'Brien brought with him from the New England Patriots.

Ferguson enrolled in January and at least has one spring practice under his belt. Hackenberg enrolled over the summer, so this training camp is his first college football experience.

Nevertheless, O'Brien is throwing just about everything at them.

“We don't need to hold back much with Christian or Tyler,” he said. “These guys are bright guys. They come back one day to the next and improve on the mistakes they made before. They do a nice job in there.”

Asked specifically if there would be a challenge changing the tempo of the offense with a young quarterback, O'Brien insisted there is “absolutely no challenge changing the tempo with a young quarterback, especially one that's smart. They're both young and both smart.” Varying the tempo of the offense during a game was a staple for Penn State with McGloin at the helm.

A self-professed “one-quarterback” coach, O'Brien admitted that may have to change this year.

“Just so everybody is clear on this, whomever I name as the starter, the other guy quite obviously has to be ready to go and more than likely will play this year,” O'Brien said.

Later, he added, “There'll be a starting quarterback and we'll go from there. We don't rule out anything. I do believe in playing one quarterback. But it's hard to rule out anything. You have two talented players and we'll do what's best for the team.”

Last edited by a moderator:

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
May get our answer today. BOB meeting media briefly this afternoon

Ritzarmy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
May get our answer today. BOB meeting media briefly this afternoon

Not so fast. Now we have to wait till later in the week says O'Brien this morning. At least both are doing well so he has to pick from 2 qb's for the starting job compared to picking a starter from 2 guys who shown no promise yet. Sounds like we will have a good qb starting no matter who he picks.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ESPN tape I saw on Hack showed he has major skills. Good luck with the QB comp....I think Hack gets the nod.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More smoke coming out that Hack will get the starting nod against 'Cuse, but both will play....starter playing majority though, not a rotating even split.

Ritzarmy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like O'Briens statement that both will play some this year. I rather you stick with 1 qb all season. If Ferg wins the job then I say redshirt Hackenberg.

fonze232

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like O'Briens statement that both will play some this year. I rather you stick with 1 qb all season. If Ferg wins the job then I say redshirt Hackenberg.

Its possible Hack was told he wasn't redshirting a year ago.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its possible Hack was told he wasn't redshirting a year ago.

No, he was told he'd have a chance to compete for job and if he were the best, he'd start. His dad and BOB both said they'd prefer he redshirt, Hack said if he's ready to play and can win the job he wants to be on field, otherwise he was cool with redshirt

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MOre and more signals that we are in for a #Hackattack Saturday. Sounds like he got bulk of first team reps and really came on strong later in camp. Both will still play some, but unless something changes, Hack is our guy

Ritzarmy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw on espn Hack will start.