• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who wins starting qb spot?

Ritzarmy

RIP WLK Loving father, husband, & friend to ALL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im voting Ferg wins it but Hackenburg takes over for him during the season.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ferguson pissed staff off by staying in Cali so long. Hack will be given the chance to win it, but if he doesn't he won't over take him during season unless Ferguson is hurt or totally inept. O'Brien has already said he doesn't play musical QB's and the starter will get the vast majority of reps and all playing time.

If Hack's ready, he's ready, if not he'll redshirt.

i think if they are even BOB goes with Hack though.

Ritzarmy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didnt hear about Ferg staying in Cali to long to upset the coaches. However if my mom was sick I dont give a crap about practicing. Family comes first then academics then football.

No coach wants to play musical chairs but if Ferguson struggles badly in the first 4 games I could see OB put Hackenburg in. I agree the ideal thing is for Ferg to start and Hackenburg to redshirt and gain knowledge of the system.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didnt hear about Ferg staying in Cali to long to upset the coaches. However if my mom was sick I dont give a crap about practicing. Family comes first then academics then football.

No coach wants to play musical chairs but if Ferguson struggles badly in the first 4 games I could see OB put Hackenburg in. I agree the ideal thing is for Ferg to start and Hackenburg to redshirt and gain knowledge of the system.

When questioned on it, BOB was perplexed as to why he wasn't back from the information they had as far as his mom's condition. Doesn't sound like she was in any sort of condition where he needed to stay till last Friday if he's serious about being the starting QB.

Ferguson would have to be atrocious to lose job if he had beaten out Hack to begin with. Our running game and variety of quality targets should make it much easier on the QB transition. I'm curious to see if BOB uses any of the 4 TE sets he's talked about. Bottom line, if Hack doesn't win job you won't see him till Blue White game barring long term injury. They'd want to get his feet wet in the non-conference games, not dump him into a start vs Michigan at night if he's going to play

fonze232

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm curious to see if BOB uses any of the 4 TE sets he's talked about.

4 TEs, all of whom can spread out and be decent to dangerous receivers in a no huddle situation? What a nightmare for defenses who could have to defend the ultimate jumbo package or a 4/5 wideout spread with the same personal. I love it.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 TEs, all of whom can spread out and be decent to dangerous receivers in a no huddle situation? What a nightmare for defenses who could have to defend the ultimate jumbo package or a 4/5 wideout spread with the same personal. I love it.

Would be 1 hell of a formation to run from. 4TE and Zwinak or Lynch bringing the hammer behind them:omg:

The athletic TE's could kill teams if they load up to stop it. Nice safety blankets for whoever wins job

Last edited by a moderator:

Ritzarmy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What four would be used?
Carter, James, Lehman and Breneman?
QB Hackenburg
RB Belton also could additional wr/rb threat

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What four would be used?
Carter, James, Lehman and Breneman?
QB Hackenburg
RB Belton also could additional wr/rb threat

Hopefully they get Wilkerson healthy as well. Belton better get his grades straight first

Ritzarmy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like wilkerson but dont think he will be healthy. Do they redshirt Breneman?

Ritzarmy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope they can afford to redshirt Breneman and Hack and not forced to play either because of injuries or lack of qb depth.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope they can afford to redshirt Breneman and Hack and not forced to play either because of injuries or lack of qb depth.

If Breneman is healthy I hope he plays. He's a difference maker and very tough matchup. I really hope Hack redshirts though.....then again, if he's that good, play him. One thing I'm confident in, BOB will play the best guys in the right places....other than his monster brain fart with hodges at punt returner last year, LOL

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like Matt hayes of Sporting News was impressed by Hack, said he stood out and had this tweet

Matt Hayes ‏@Matt_HayesSN 1h
There will be throws made in #PennState offense this fall that couldn't be made last year.

Ritzarmy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No offense to McGloin but no matter if its Ferg or Hack throwing there "will be throws made in Penn State offense that couldn't be made last year". McGloin was a great leader, and new the playbook but wasn't a great athlete. Yes he threw for a lot of yards but is accuracy wasn't the best at times. There were several plays were the receiver had to come back to the ball which could have been TD's if McGloin lead the receiver better. I see Hackenberg as a better athlete and give him time in learning the system and he will do amazing things as PSU's qb for the next 4 years.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No offense to McGloin but no matter if its Ferg or Hack throwing there "will be throws made in Penn State offense that couldn't be made last year". McGloin was a great leader, and new the playbook but wasn't a great athlete. Yes he threw for a lot of yards but is accuracy wasn't the best at times. There were several plays were the receiver had to come back to the ball which could have been TD's if McGloin lead the receiver better. I see Hackenberg as a better athlete and give him time in learning the system and he will do amazing things as PSU's qb for the next 4 years.

I was never a McGloin fan, but the kid produced. He's also apparently impressing at Raiders camp. If he makes a roster, its just more recruiting fuel for O'Brien. McGloin was actually a pretty good athlete as well.

Hack has the pototype size and big arm that McGloin lacked. also seems to possess leadership skills, but he needs to transition to the college game. Morelli made throws McGloin couldn't dream of making, but was not nearly as productive as Matt. Although, if he had played for BOB instead of under Jay, I think Anthony would've been lights out.

Ritzarmy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Morelli made throws McGloin couldn't dream of making, but was not nearly as productive as Matt. Although, if he had played for BOB instead of under Jay, I think Anthony would've been lights out.

I fully agree. Penn State finally has someone to help the qb's improve. Love Jay Paterno but he sucked at his job.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I fully agree. Penn State finally has someone to help the qb's improve. Love Jay Paterno but he sucked at his job.

He was always in over his head and was not liked by much of he staff and cost us MANY recruits. I like him now that he's not involved in football program, but he had NO BUSINESS being on our staff, let alone the OC.

BOB did more in 1 year under crazy circumstances than Jay did on his best day. Can't wait to see the line of QB's we produce now, Hack and O'Connor just the start. We'll get a bigtime kid every year with BOB.

Ritzarmy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think of all the wasted talent that was caused by Jay? Im going to list some names and I am just guessing Jay was the qb coach during their times.

Pat Devlin
Paul Jones
Daryll Clark (could have been even better)
Rob Boldin

Damn drawing a blank on the rest.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think of all the wasted talent that was caused by Jay? Im going to list some names and I am just guessing Jay was the qb coach during their times.

Pat Devlin
Paul Jones
Daryll Clark (could have been even better)
Rob Boldin

Damn drawing a blank on the rest.

In fairness, Jones or Bolden couldn't beat out Steve Bench even when working with BOB. Clark would've never seen field as Devlin would've been more BOB's type of guy. Morelli would've benefitted most as far as QB's who've been shackled by Jay go. However, if we had BOB, Henne was here and MOrelli stays with Pitt commit.

I'd love to have seen Matt Kranchik in BOB's offense as well.