• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who will win the Big 10 in 2018?

Good_Code

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got 3 Tiers:

Tier 1: Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin
Tier 2: Michigan State, Penn State
Tier 3: The rest

I can't decide who wins out of Tier 1, I did say Wisconsin would go undefeated which could happen. OSU should have every bit the running game of Wisconsin with Dobbins and Weber. But Michigan could have the best defense in the country and a promising QB. Today I'm going with Defense and Maize and Blue. If Michigan can survive the East plus Notre Dame and Wisconsin(regular season) and the CCG with 1 or no losses, they have what it takes to win it all. Defense wins championships as my grandpa taught me.

TheReal_NU

This space intentionally left blank
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just came here to vote potato salad.

Wait! What???

No potato salad is a poll fail.
Even for the new guy.

Good_Code

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just trying to establish that I think about other teams. I find it interesting though. Its a tough choice in conference thats loaded at the top. I think the Big 10 is the best conference and SEC 2nd.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got 3 Tiers:

Tier 1: Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin
Tier 2: Michigan State, Penn State
Tier 3: The rest

I can't decide who wins out of Tier 1, I did say Wisconsin would go undefeated which could happen. OSU should have every bit the running game of Wisconsin with Dobbins and Weber. But Michigan could have the best defense in the country and a promising QB. Today I'm going with Defense and Maize and Blue. If Michigan can survive the East plus Notre Dame and Wisconsin(regular season) and the CCG with 1 or no losses, they have what it takes to win it all. Defense wins championships as my grandpa taught me.
Michigan has two major problems. First and foremost is that offensive line is horrendous. One out of every ten passing plays resulted in a sack. Which leads us to the second problem which is depth at quarterback. Patterson is going to take a beating and he already missed half of last season with an injury. Does that mean he’s injury prone or was it just a fluke? Peters was pretty bad last year racking up mediocre stats against the dregs of the conference. McCaffery is a stick figure and likely to get injured unless he bulked up a ton this off season which I doubt. Should Michigan be better than MSU, yes, but Harbaugh has yet to show that he is a big time game day coach. He seems to shrink up when the light shines brightest.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just trying to establish that I think about other teams. I find it interesting though. Its a tough choice in conference thats loaded at the top. I think the Big 10 is the best conference and SEC 2nd.
If you are looking at the top end, the Big Ten has more depth, that bottom half is some of the worst in P5 conferences.

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta see what OSU's QB play looks like this year before making a call like that. Also, i'd put Penn State in any top tier.

Good_Code

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta see what OSU's QB play looks like this year before making a call like that. Also, i'd put Penn State in any top tier.
Would you say the winner of the conference has the chops to win it all?

Danny Ocho

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hands down Ohio State.

Time and time again, OSU will always be in the playoff picture as long as Meyer's there recruiting and putting the team together. Their biggest obstacle is going against TCU in Week 3, which I believe it will be one of the biggest games of the year. It's definitely challenging for them early in the season.

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No idea, don't generally do that pre-season. But they'll probably get a team in the playoff.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rutgers

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I would eliminate Michigan from the start. I think they are a slightly worse than the contenders. And they have absolutely the hardest in conference schedule IMO. Not only do they get who I project to be the 3 best teams in the other division(NW, NEB, Wisconsin) they have to play NW, MSU and Ohio State on the road. And they have to play a bunch of contrasting styles over the course of the season, which makes it difficult to prepare. Going from Nebraska to NW to Maryland to Wisconsin to Michigan State to Penn State isn't easy in terms of style of play. I think that's an underrated aspect of scheduling.

I'd probably peg Ohio State as the favorite in the East. Simply splitting the road trips against Penn State and Michigan State should be enough as I don't see them losing a conference game outside of that. Wisconsin is the easy answer in the West. But they have to travel to Michigan, PSU and NW. So they certainly have a much more difficult path than last year.

I do think there is a chance the B1G could get left out of the CFP again, especially if Ohio State gets beaten by TCU. It seems like all the contenders play each other this year.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hands down Ohio State.

Time and time again, OSU will always be in the playoff picture as long as Meyer's there recruiting and putting the team together. Their biggest obstacle is going against TCU in Week 3, which I believe it will be one of the biggest games of the year. It's definitely challenging for them early in the season.
Ohio State has the best team on paper. We will need to see what the new QB plays like against legitimate teams with tape on him.

The Big10 East has four teams with a legitimate shot at winning their division which I don’t believe you can say about any other.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should. But not unless they are a hell of A LOT better than their last two CFP appearances in '15 and '16.

That said, a lot of the CFP semifinals have been less than stellar games. Bama/tOSU the first year and OU/Georgia last year being a couple of exceptions.

Good_Code

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its hard to argue against Ohio State because they don't really have any weaknesses, but its also hard to argue with defense and that goes to Michigan. They have 2 preseason 1st teamers on all 3 levels of Defense. I am a betting man bu I'm not touching this conference for futures of any kind. They will have to knock each other off. Just think of all the good games we are in store for.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their biggest obstacle is going against TCU in Week 3, which I believe it will be one of the biggest games of the year. It's definitely challenging for them early in the season.

I do think there is a chance the B1G could get left out of the CFP again, especially if Ohio State gets beaten by TCU. It seems like all the contenders play each other this year.

What's with all the TCU love? I know it is being played in Arlington but they lost a lot last year and they aren't the type that can just reload.

Hell, they might even struggle with SMU the week before tOSU.

Danny Ocho

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's with all the TCU love? I know it is being played in Arlington but they lost a lot last year and they aren't the type that can just reload.

Hell, they might even struggle with SMU the week before tOSU.
It's still an obstacle for OSU to go through. If they manage to succeed, well congrats. But, this is still a test for the Buckeyes.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's still an obstacle for OSU to go through. If they manage to succeed, well congrats. But, this is still a test for the Buckeyes.
If tOSU struggles with the horny toads, they may be in for a struggling year.

Patterson coaches kids up but they normally need an experienced team to perform well. Without that kind of experience, I just think the talent gap is way too big for them to overcome. I know tOSU lost quite a bit too. But, early in a player's college career, most five star kids are greater than most three star kids...especially without development time.

We shall see.