• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who is Beamers replacement?

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Not trying to provoke a fight, but BF will not be your next HC. In these "corporate" times, he is not a top tier "face of the program" guy. I see an SEC guy, a Big Ten guy. I'm not cracking on BF who is one of the all time great DCs. I think it would probably be a "name" coach, somebody who takes a strong organization to the next generation.

I think youll find that most agree with that.

I especially agree with your "face of the program" remarks. You need a HC that can mingle with the boosters, parents, administrators, etc etc etc, You also need a guy who is good with the media and pr, I just dont see BF in that role.

Last edited by a moderator:

Whatsupppppppp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hiring from outside the program is an insult to all who remain.

Hiring from the outside is wrought with problems too. The new HC will, in all likelihood, not be familiar with the politics regarding recruiting in Virginia, the way things get done in VT, the BOD, the academic culture, and numerous other things equally as important. He will likely want to inject his own systems on offense and defense, certainly changing the way things are currently done, changing the type of recruits needed for his system vice the current systems, thereby alienating the players left behind, as well as those contemplating offers.

He will likely want to bring in his own choices of assistants. All new HCs do, especially high profile national coaches. The remaining staff will likely jump ship for the first decent offer.

VT staffers aren't stupid. Hire from within, show loyalty to staff, and in doing so, minimize changes and team impact.

hoosrise

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not to argue, but from an outsiders point of view one of the really amazing things about your staff, and maybe one of its greatest strengths, is how long they have stayed together with very very little attrition. But the fact of the matter is that the day will come when that will get broken up for a bit. If you go within, the only realistic choice is Shane, and he isn't ready to be the HC for a program like this and probably if he was the promote you'd have guys leave anyway. I think the key would be to not mess with the defense, which has been the mainstay of the program and not to do something crazy. A few guys stay for sure to keep continuity and connections. I am sure that there will be a huge effort to keep the right fit.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hiring from outside the program is an insult to all who remain.

Hiring from the outside is wrought with problems too. The new HC will, in all likelihood, not be familiar with the politics regarding recruiting in Virginia, the way things get done in VT, the BOD, the academic culture, and numerous other things equally as important. He will likely want to inject his own systems on offense and defense, certainly changing the way things are currently done, changing the type of recruits needed for his system vice the current systems, thereby alienating the players left behind, as well as those contemplating offers.

He will likely want to bring in his own choices of assistants. All new HCs do, especially high profile national coaches. The remaining staff will likely jump ship for the first decent offer.

VT staffers aren't stupid. Hire from within, show loyalty to staff, and in doing so, minimize changes and team impact.

I totally agree with this. BUT..I feel like the glue that is holding this all together is Frank. Once he leaves..all bets are off.
Obviously I don't know BF personally but he seems to have a good personality. Does he have a kiss-ass personality?? I don't think so. But if given the HC opportunity he seems to me that he would have the ability to be chummy enough to the powers that be. I think I am in the minority here, but I think BF as next HC, with Shane and Gray staying on board (do whatever it takes) would be the best thing for VT going forward. As whatsup said, a new higher profile "hot name" head coach that knows nothing about the politics, recruiting, etc. at VT IMHO is not the answer. Sometimes the grass isn't greener on the other side. If Beams retired tomorrow and some hotshot coach was given the job how do you think that would set with the rest of the coaches who have put in decades of service?? Not too well I would imagine. There are exceptions...that if they showed interest you would have to consider. But going out and hiring the 40 year old Bowling Green HC who has back-to-back MAC championships and a couple Independence Bowl victories woohoo!! (ie:Brian Kelly/Randy Edsall)..no thanks. I will take my chances with the guys that we already have on staff...whether that is Foster, Gray, or Shane...

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We won't hire outside the program unless a lot changes between now and whenever FB leaves. And we shouldn't.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think a smart AD considers all his options at the time. Internal or external is all fair game. I've always wanted a more dynamic offense, so I think that needs to be a consideration.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a smart AD considers all his options at the time. Internal or external is all fair game. I've always wanted a more dynamic offense, so I think that needs to be a consideration.

Of course. But as things stand today, the internal options are just better than the external ones.

Whatsupppppppp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on the timeframe, but I think it'll be sooner than later. In that case, it won't be Shane.

Didn't FB sign a five year contract, about a year ago? That helps for recruitment, when players can count on a coach being there for a certain period of time.

I think sonbeam will be the choice, and if he is, it would send a message that things aren't going to change at VT. They're only getting younger.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I just don't see the Shane - Head Coach transition.

He just doesn't have experience at that level. Being around a coach isn't the same as being a coach.

hokiecat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is Shane. And I think FB will be around for another 5 years or so. Aside from the special teams in recent years, he and the staff are still getting it done. The new blood seems to have rejuvenated recruiting. I think we are approaching the point where we are getting close to Frank re-assessing his desire each summer but my guess is he'll keep going until 70

And after the JoePa penalties, FB could be in the top 5 winningest Div 1 coaches if he has 5 more years of 9-10'ish wins. FB could be #4 overall. That has to be a motivator each spring/summer along with kids being recruited.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
All signs point to 'absolutely not' but does anyone think it's plausible at all that CFB goes as far as Bobby Bowden and Joe Paterno did (around 80)? He's 65 now and is 126 (or so) wins from Bobby Bowden. 15 more years of 8+ win seasons and he's there. It doesn't sound like he has any intention of going for that .. but just curious. I don't think I'd want that as we'd probably end up with another Bobby Bowden situation at some point.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is Shane. And I think FB will be around for another 5 years or so. Aside from the special teams in recent years, he and the staff are still getting it done. The new blood seems to have rejuvenated recruiting. I think we are approaching the point where we are getting close to Frank re-assessing his desire each summer but my guess is he'll keep going until 70

And after the JoePa penalties, FB could be in the top 5 winningest Div 1 coaches if he has 5 more years of 9-10'ish wins. FB could be #4 overall. That has to be a motivator each spring/summer along with kids being recruited.

All signs point to 'absolutely not' but does anyone think it's plausible at all that CFB goes as far as Bobby Bowden and Joe Paterno did (around 80)? He's 65 now and is 126 (or so) wins from Bobby Bowden. 15 more years of 8+ win seasons and he's there. It doesn't sound like he has any intention of going for that .. but just curious. I don't think I'd want that as we'd probably end up with another Bobby Bowden situation at some point.

according to what i've read, Beamer doesnt know how many wins he has, where he sits on the list, nor does he care

Last edited by a moderator: