• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who is Beamers replacement?

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really think so. I think the right opportunity just never came up. He definitely wants to be a HC, but he's been picky about where he'd go. And at this point (he's not getting any younger) it's unlikely he'll get a great HC offer. First-time HC jobs are going to the younger guys. Third, he's just been very loyal to FB.

I understand and agree with alot you say here, but I think that he would feel a little bit stepped on if HIS secondary coach, OR a guy (Shane) who's shitty diapers he has probably changed, surpassed him and he was left standing there. This is assuming Bud would want the position. I think a realistic approach would be to upgrade Bud Foster's salary some more, and give one of these guys the position (a shot to begin with) at a modest price. I think alot of what will happen in this regard is going to be about timing. WHEN Beamer hangs it up, will determine who will be the next in line. I know VT could probably go on a national search when this time comes, but I would just as soon they keep it in house, and allow the consistency of long-term coaching continue at VT. There is more long term stability. This all assuming that the next guy continues to win games.

Last edited by a moderator:

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would trade Frank Beamer for a Natty .. and I'd prefer that Bud Foster stay where he is .. I think the main reason he hasn't left for a smaller school is because of salary ... He's one of the highest paid assistants/coordinators in the country. There are probably not a lot of non-bcs schools who would want to or could pay him that kind of money as a head coach. Why trade in for less job security, more responsibility/even more work, for not a lot more money?? I wouldn't leave my job for a new challenge for less or equal money .. 15 years ago?? sure -- but not now.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Beamer will be around until 2017. If I am correct, his contract ends then, he turns 70, he will have been at VT for 30 years. All good ending points. Just my thoughts but I hope he stays longer. As for a replacement, I have a feeling it will be Stiney just due to tenure and experience.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I don't think it will be Bud, FWIW.

gotta think he feels differently if he's staying around for so long?

where would he go? His name is mentioned in about every vacancy that comes up, but when was the last/first time he was offered a HC job?

I agree with others on here: it will most likely be between stiney and shane. If we have a new president/AD it could be an outside hire. If we are talking near future, i think it would be stiney.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it will be Bud, FWIW.

I agree. Too many stories floating around out there about top schools interviewing Bud and then those schools getting 'cold feet' about hiring him.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that he would feel a little bit stepped on if HIS secondary coach, OR a guy (Shane) who's shitty diapers he has probably changed, surpassed him and he was left standing there.

That certainly complicates things, doesn't it? I have the same concern. We shall see...

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Gray. I am starting to think he is our biggest asset or atleast tied with Bud.

TagAndBrag

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This is my scenario...

Bud takes over after Frank for a number of years, (Shane is moved to OC, hopefully Gray to DC (more likely Wiles). Then Shane takes over after Bud...

That's my dream scenario, too, though not for a while. Honestly, I think Gray is the most valuable piece here outside of the Beamer name and would be the biggest loss if he went elsewhere.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Danny Coale.

He'll coach on Saturdays and then go score TDs in the NFL on Sundays. He may punt as well.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yeah Stinespring might be capable of being a good head coach. Sure sucks as an OC though

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be Bobby Bowden.........

You didn't hear this from me though :spy:

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't see foster being a HC here, or anywhere big. And it's not because he isn't a great coach.

hoosrise

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not trying to provoke a fight, but BF will not be your next HC. In these "corporate" times, he is not a top tier "face of the program" guy. I see an SEC guy, a Big Ten guy. I'm not cracking on BF who is one of the all time great DCs. I think it would probably be a "name" coach, somebody who takes a strong organization to the next generation.

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like certain unspoken things are already in place. I'd bet pretty big $ that its an in house hire.