• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who goes where when the PAC dissolves?

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade out Iowa St. for WVU.

There’s no way Lyons would like seeing the bill for the Olympic sport teams travel expenses. WVU would almost have to cut ties with that distance. That’s why something like this I pray never happens.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There’s no way Lyons would like seeing the bill for the Olympic sport teams travel expenses. WVU would almost have to cut ties with that distance. That’s why something like this I pray never happens.
I don't see it happening. Larry Scott fvked up any chance of a merger back in '11. He's a cvnt.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see it happening. Larry Scott fvked up any chance of a merger back in '11. He's a cvnt.

The only way something like this does happen is if Texas and others from the B12 join the PAC. But not sure I see that.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would just like to see an Even Steven swap between the ACC & Big 12......West Virginia and Louisville swap conferences.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like Cal's athletic department debt is less than Wash St in the short term, but that idiotic stadium financing deal is going to kill them. BTW, the debt is no longer the ADs debt, it is the schools debt, so the AD debt is not what it was on paper.

Still, debt is debt. My wife might owe $5,000,000 and if I accept that $5,000,000 t is still owed by someone in my family and the debt service is coming out of OUR budget.

A guaranteed $18,000,000 per year in interest payments for 14 years, THEN they start paying principal where the payments jump to $30,000,000 per year.

Unfortunately for UC, their stadium is built over a fault line. Which they did not know back in the day, but they doubled down and chose to pour money into something that will collapse with a shake that is bigger than designed for. Since the contract went out to the lowest bidder and not the safest and smartest structural bidder, you can bet your sweet bippy that the stadium will collapse.

Politicians are only reactive and not proactive anymore. Same with schools administrators.

You can still count on the Mercury News for unbiased reporting.

I can't remember which article I saw but it said Cal Berkeley was around $110 million in athletic debt. They were already massively in debt when the Pac10 expanded then went on a spending spree like most schools did with the money they were promised but never received.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice try but Pullman is just as backwoods as Morgantown.

Pullman isn't anywhere near "backwoods". It's a bitch to get to but the only thing "backwoods" would be Cougar gold. It's not in a big city but when you go to Wazzu it teaches you become an adult and not suck on mommies titty like most the other schools (outside Stanford)

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would just like to see an Even Steven swap between the ACC & Big 12......West Virginia and Louisville swap conferences.
The "regional tiesand regional draw" ship sailed a long time ago. The TV viewership/membership "foot print" craze took over and is sailing now. Folks that know say the next one will be for those that can draw eyeballs "nationally". They are now the only ones that bring home the bacon...and there are only a few of them.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and how would that shake out? the SEC and Big 10 are already at 14 can imagine more than a 2 team in crease to either. Big 12 would try to get in on it even going to 16 still 4 teams out in the cold. Pac would not even remotely be able to make a move unless they poached from Big 12.

none of that makes any real sense.

Well if a conference dissolves then yes, everybody else would go to 16. The SEC & Big 10 would probably grab the Virginia & North Carolina schools, the big 12 would try to grab 6. The pac 12 would be screwed, but would probably end up having to grab 4 mountain west schools. I think the SEC & Big ten won't care what happens to the Pac 12 when they make their moves.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if a conference dissolves then yes, everybody else would go to 16. The SEC & Big 10 would probably grab the Virginia & North Carolina schools, the big 12 would try to grab 6. The pac 12 would be screwed, but would probably end up having to grab 4 mountain west schools. I think the SEC & Big ten won't care what happens to ANY CONFERENCE when they make their moves.
:fify:

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if a conference dissolves then yes, everybody else would go to 16. The SEC & Big 10 would probably grab the Virginia & North Carolina schools, the big 12 would try to grab 6. The pac 12 would be screwed, but would probably end up having to grab 4 mountain west schools. I think the SEC & Big ten won't care what happens to the Pac 12 when they make their moves.
would the Pac have to? 3 conferences moved to 14 and Pac just went to 12

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

sorry, but money talks. If you combine your theory with logic, the ACC would be most likely to get poached. They're smack dab in SEC and the outskirts of new Big ten country, and have some canidates that both conferences would love (Virginia, UNC, FSU, etc)

honestly if ACC got poached it would make more sense that the schools that didnt add American teams and just stay a conference.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The future size of conferences probably has more to do with the future of TV rights and how that market shakes out as cable keeps losing more of their foothold than the stability or solvency directly of the individual teams. No one knows if the same money is going to be available when the dust settles. No reason to go to 16 if you aren't doing it for a massive cash grab on big TV deals.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

sorry, but money talks. If you combine your theory with logic, the ACC would be most likely to get poached. They're smack dab in SEC and the outskirts of new Big ten country, and have some canidates that both conferences would love (Virginia, UNC, FSU, etc)
for real though I keep looking at things and can't make things work without the conference foot prints getting weird

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The theory was based on logic - something you are apparently lacking. There's more money to be made in the SEC, Big 10 & ACC than there is in the Big 12. Fortunately for the Vitamin League, none of those three are looking to expand at the moment.

Last edited:

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't forget, the Pac tried to go to 16 by grabbing Texas & Oklahoma schools to go along with Colorado. But after that fell through, they settled on Utah to round out with 12. They didn't go to 14 because they couldn't find another regional school that they thought would provide enough value.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget, the Pac tried to go to 16 by grabbing Texas & Oklahoma schools to go along with Colorado. But after that fell through, they settled on Utah to round out with 12. They didn't go to 14 because they couldn't find another regional school that they thought would provide enough value.
true but do you think any regional schools have changed enough to have added value?

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pac had zero interest in a religious school (Baylor) and was hoping they could take Colorado in it's place and the Texas schools would still go west. They thought wrong, and are now in a bad spot.