• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who do you think starts at QB against Texas?

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Florida used the 2 QB attack well enough to win a national championship. Chris Leak as the starter and Tim Tebow came in when they got close to the end zone. I could see this going on here. (Especially the NC part)

That's right, they did, nice call. I forgot all about Chris Leak.

So who's the starter? I'd go Kizer

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both of these guys have used their red shirt year. Zaire has 2 years of eligibility left, Kizer has 3. If Zaire hadnt been hurt last year, we might never have seen Kizer play. In August, there was no talk of Kizer being the starter, in fact a lot of people thought Kizer would be third string behind Zaire and Wimbush. Kizer got his chance and really took advantage, but I still think there is a reason that Zaire was ahead of Kizer. He was higher rated out of high school and looked great in the Texas game.

I'm going out on a limb and say that I think Zaire gets the start. (Very low confidence on this pick)

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope you're wrong. Something about Kizer, he has it, I like it. He has that NFL look.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope you're wrong. Something about Kizer, he has it, I like it. He has that NFL look.
I agree but MZ has that special talent look. He seems like a guy that wont lose a game.

Its going to be really tough for Kelly.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He may have that NFL look (as did Clausen, Quinn, Crist, Hendrix and Rees). But guys like Tony Rice and Tom Clements won NC's while not having that NFL look. I'm not saying Zaire will win us a NC, but sometimes certain intangibles are there that we can't see. I'm not saying that Kizer doesn't have those qualities, I'm just not sure. I can see either one coming through. (I was joking about Rees).

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He may have that NFL look (as did Clausen, Quinn, Crist, Hendrix and Rees). But guys like Tony Rice and Tom Clements won NC's while not having that NFL look. I'm not saying Zaire will win us a NC, but sometimes certain intangibles are there that we can't see. I'm not saying that Kizer doesn't have those qualities, I'm just not sure. I can see either one coming through. (I was joking about Rees).

Rees, lol. I was about to say

I think you're basing a lot of your assumption on Kizer being so low on the chart before last year? Some guys just don't shine until it's time to shine.

nathans8823

Well-Known Notre Dame Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 203.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say... then again its Notre Dame we are talking about (they have there fair share of close games against horrible teams) Anyways, I would say the first home game against Nevada they put in both (each has there own half of playing time). Now for Texas that could be a difficult one, I would have to say Kizer for Texas.

KnuteRoc

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well aside from the QB battle... what kinda personnel on D does Texas have? Strong against the run/pass? Matchups could help dictate the start here along with nerves of the first game. ND almost always comes out tense or whatever in game one... you rarely see a first drive TD. By the second quarter the jitters are gone and its all X's and O's.

Given that, I'd probably lean towards Kizer starting, he seems less affected by the jitters than Zaire does. Now on the other hand, with the receiving corps turnover and lack of a proven Fuller-type deep threat, I could see Kelly giving Zaire the start because of his legs, taking pressure off the passing game. While Kizer is certainly capable, it seems that Zaire is the stronger runner.

Kinda surprised we've gone this far without Kelly committing to either, which may be a good thing for us as fans. Not that I wish injury on anyone, but I feel confident no matter who is at QB, which is a nice luxury to have. The offense should be ok, it's the defense that worries me... and Van Gorder.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well aside from the QB battle... what kinda personnel on D does Texas have? Strong against the run/pass? Matchups could help dictate the start here along with nerves of the first game. ND almost always comes out tense or whatever in game one... you rarely see a first drive TD. By the second quarter the jitters are gone and its all X's and O's.

Given that, I'd probably lean towards Kizer starting, he seems less affected by the jitters than Zaire does. Now on the other hand, with the receiving corps turnover and lack of a proven Fuller-type deep threat, I could see Kelly giving Zaire the start because of his legs, taking pressure off the passing game. While Kizer is certainly capable, it seems that Zaire is the stronger runner.

Kinda surprised we've gone this far without Kelly committing to either, which may be a good thing for us as fans. Not that I wish injury on anyone, but I feel confident no matter who is at QB, which is a nice luxury to have. The offense should be ok, it's the defense that worries me... and Van Gorder.
They'll have one of the best, if not the best middle linebacker in the country. Depending on how much improvement there was in their D line, we may have a tough time running against them unless its a lot of stretch plays to the outside.

Kelly needs to have them ready to play. I am sure Texas, while still young, is out for blood after the de-pantsing they got last year. Being a home game in prime time with no broadcast competition, will be a big stage.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rees, lol. I was about to say

I think you're basing a lot of your assumption on Kizer being so low on the chart before last year? Some guys just don't shine until it's time to shine.
Look at Joe Montana. Perfect Example.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Disagree with this statement. MZ Beat LSU in his 1st game(in a bowl game) and last year crushed Texas. If anything MZ isnt rattled.

KnuteRoc

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps I mis
Disagree with this statement. MZ Beat LSU in his 1st game(in a bowl game) and last year crushed Texas. If anything MZ isnt rattled.

Perhaps I worded that poorly... not insinuating MZ is a jitterbug, just that Kizer seems even less so.

We haven't seen enough of Zaire yet to really know. I'm fine with either on starting.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps I mis

Perhaps I worded that poorly... not insinuating MZ is a jitterbug, just that Kizer seems even less so.

We haven't seen enough of Zaire yet to really know. I'm fine with either on starting.
I will say this about Kizer we know he can handle pressure 2 games where he got ND a last min TD to win the game. That is 1 advantage Kizer has over MZ. Im a Big Kizer fan and think he will be a good NFL QB. MZ just has something special about him. I do think Kizer will be a better NFL QB then MZ. I just think MZ has a shot to be a better college QB then Kizer.

Im with you I dont care who starts. I like them both damn it I like all 3 of our QB's.