• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL Which CFP team's state makes the best BBQ?

Which CFP team's state makes the best BBQ?

• Oklahoma

• South Carolina

• Georgia

• Alabama

• Potato Salad

Results are only viewable after voting.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
51P2%2B3yRHNL._SX385_.jpg

bond_smokeshack.jpg

Pretty sad that the best bbq in KC is Oklahoma Joes.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carolina BBQ is terrible. No Thanks to vinegar based crap. That rules out South Carolina.

Georgia, to close to South Carolina, but I have never had their BBQ, if I have it was not memorable.

Oklahoma is influenced by Kansas and Texas BBQ. Both are very good.

Alabama is influenced by Memphis BBQ. Very good.

Since I like Oklahoma more than Alabama, Oklahoma it is.

Gratuitous Michelle Pritchett Wrecking Ball video.

Yippy ki yay
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,940.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carolina BBQ is terrible. No Thanks to vinegar based crap. That rules out South Carolina.

Georgia, to close to South Carolina, but I have never had their BBQ, if I have it was not memorable.

Oklahoma is influenced by Kansas and Texas BBQ. Both are very good.

Alabama is influenced by Memphis BBQ. Very good.

Since I like Oklahoma more than Alabama, Oklahoma it is.

Gratuitous Michelle Pritchett Wrecking Ball video.

South Carolina - mustard based
Eastern North Carolina - vinegar based
Western North Carolina - Hickory and red sauce

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 Barbecue Regions are traditionally recognized in the County NC, TN, MO, TX

Carolina Barbecue (despite being one of the four) is by far and away the worst crap.
It is the shitty Chicago Deep Dish pizza compared to a great slice in Brooklyn..

Nobody really thinks about St Louis BBQ or Nashville BBQ. BBQ is really good but entirely localized to the awesome stuff found in Kansas City and Memphis, yet alone border states.

So, I guess the default answer is Oklahoma. It has the best chance of getting some imitation BBQ from its border with Texas.

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This map is complete nonsense. I hail from an area within the ketchup portion, and I can tell you that absolutely no one eats ketchup based sauce there. They go with either vinegar or mustard. So no, I don't think SC is the only state home to all four types of BBQ sauce (also there's more than 4 kinds, Alabama has a white, there's Kansas City Style, there's a basting sauce in Texas, etc.). I could see it being more accurate if you made the tomato portion a little smaller, cut out the ketchup portion, and expanded both the vinegar and mustard regions. But this is just misinformation.

Perhaps they don't eat it now (because ketchup belongs on french fries, not BBQ) but at one time that was the predominant BBQ sauce. I can remember a time back when my dad ran deer dogs eating BBQ at some place in Barnwell and the sauce being red and I'm only 46.

BBQ History

And you are aware that when they talk about ketchup they mean the stuff like the bottled Kraft BBQ sauce or Sweet Baby Ray's right?

And the Alabama white sauce is a dip, Kansas City style is the heavy ketchup style, and Texas is a mop sauce or as you admitted a basting sauce.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Carolina Barbecue (despite being one of the four) is by far and away the worst crap.
It is the shitty Chicago Deep Dish pizza compared to a great slice in Brooklyn..

Nobody really thinks about St Louis BBQ or Nashville BBQ. BBQ is really good but entirely localized to the awesome stuff found in Kansas City and Memphis, yet alone border states.

So, I guess the default answer is Oklahoma. It has the best chance of getting some imitation BBQ from its border with Texas.

Texas needs to learn how to pork.

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps they don't eat it now (because ketchup belongs on french fries, not BBQ) but at one time that was the predominant BBQ sauce. I can remember a time back when my dad ran deer dogs eating BBQ at some place in Barnwell and the sauce being red and I'm only 46.

BBQ History

And you are aware that when they talk about ketchup they mean the stuff like the bottled Kraft BBQ sauce or Sweet Baby Ray's right?

And the Alabama white sauce is a dip, Kansas City style is the heavy ketchup style, and Texas is a mop sauce or as you admitted a basting sauce.

kraft? Sweet Baby Rays? Those are horrible. If I use a store bought sauce, I go with Stubbs Mesquite.

I know I do not fit into the Texas mold for BBQ sauce. I use a ketchup, picante, Worcestershire, sauce. Mix in some spices and cook it down with some lemon. I use a beer, butter, oregano for a basing to keep it moist and put the BBQ sauce on it for the last hour to hour and half. Not enough to make layer of BBQ, just to soak into the meat and add flavor. If you want more sauce on yours you can dip or pour it on after. Cook (or smoke whatever you want to call it) ribs for 5-6 hours at 225° over mesquite and lump charcoal, pork loin 4± hours, brisket 8-10 hours depending on size.

My neighbor in Minnesota told me they could cook a brisket in 4 hours. :nono::nono::nono::nono:

Told them I take at least 5 hours for ribs and if you cook a brisket in 4 hours it has to be tough as shoe leather.

Yippy ki yay
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,940.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kraft? Sweet Baby Rays? Those are horrible. If I use a store bought sauce, I go with Stubbs Mesquite.

I know I do not fit into the Texas mold for BBQ sauce. I use a ketchup, picante, Worcestershire, sauce. Mix in some spices and cook it down with some lemon. I use a beer, butter, oregano for a basing to keep it moist and put the BBQ sauce on it for the last hour to hour and half. Not enough to make layer of BBQ, just to soak into the meat and add flavor. If you want more sauce on yours you can dip or pour it on after. Cook (or smoke whatever you want to call it) ribs for 5-6 hours at 225° over mesquite and lump charcoal, pork loin 4± hours, brisket 8-10 hours depending on size.

My neighbor in Minnesota told me they could cook a brisket in 4 hours. :nono::nono::nono::nono:

Told them I take at least 5 hours for ribs and if you cook a brisket in 4 hours it has to be tough as shoe leather.
It can be done, I've tried it and it wasn't tough, but nowhere near as good as one slow smoked for 16+ hours.
Hot and Fast Brisket

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, a mixture of those 3 some in some spices (I use cayenne, garlic salt, pepper) and lemon. Boil it down to make the sauce. It's much better than Sweet baby rays or kraft.

Ok, so the store bought stuff is terrible, but your recipe of nearly the same thing is great?

You're so hip.

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, so the store bought stuff is terrible, but your recipe of nearly the same thing is great?

You're so hip.
Sucking Sabans man meat has made you such a prick.

Not trying to be hip. It's a mixture I like. I do use a store bought sauce on occasion and prefer Stubbs. Sweet Baby Rays flavor is terrible as far as I'm concerned. You may like it, and if you do more power to you.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Texas needs to stop sending shitty chains like Dickies and Rudys to Oklahoma.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sucking Sabans man meat has made you such a prick.

Not trying to be hip. It's a mixture I like. I do use a store bought sauce on occasion and prefer Stubbs. Sweet Baby Rays flavor is terrible as far as I'm concerned. You may like it, and if you do more power to you.

If I'm being too harsh, then my apologies. I can see not liking a particular style, as I mentioned earlier I don't like the vinegar based sauces. But it seemed to me like you like the particular style but were pretty extreme in a dislike for a store brand for being store brand while making your own sauce that is similiar.

I tend to get annoyed with that.

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I'm being too harsh, then my apologies. I can see not liking a particular style, as I mentioned earlier I don't like the vinegar based sauces. But it seemed to me like you like the particular style but were pretty extreme in a dislike for a store brand for being store brand while making your own sauce that is similiar.

I tend to get annoyed with that.
Not the fact that it's store brand. It's the flavor. Store brands are usually too bland and/or too sweet.

:suds:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smoking a pork butt today.

tenor.gif

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Easterners are big on pork & chicken.

Out west, beef rules the day.

991-music_meadows_moving_cattle.jpg

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you making the cole slaw too? How about baked beans and potato salad?

Wife does a vinegar cole slaw(for her sandwiches) and baked beans. I'll just eat the meat and some mac-n-cheese though.

No on the potato salad.

Reactions: 006

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wife does a vinegar cole slaw(for her sandwiches) and baked beans. I'll just eat the meat and some mac-n-cheese though.

No on the potato salad.

She's the smart one. Vinegar slaw on a pulled pork sandwich is the way to go. Baked beans with bacon, onions, brown sugar and barbecue sauce.