• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Where's the offense headed?

iruletheskool

iruleiskool
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was a good article. I took my fair share of rips at Watson, and while they might have been deserved, I have to respect his resiliency and hope that things get figured out before next season.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, I've gotta agree he doesn't waiver from his message.

Wats wants to do 'everything' equally well. Doesn't everybody?

It takes a while to put things into place. Nebraska changed it's base defensive alignment in 90-91 to compete with the Miami's and Florida St's of the world. By 1994 they had it down.

Let's hope that is what's going on offensively now.
I spoke with Milt Tenopir a few years ago and he told me the type of lineman you recruit determine the success you'll have. If you want to be a primarily running team you want lineman with shorter arms as it's more difficult to get them hooked in the trenches, if you want to be a primarily passing offense you want guys with wide wingspans as they are dropping back into pass protection.
Skill positions can be adapted much easier.

YuHusker1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
As some know that post here I really got upset with Watson by midseason. If what we saw in the AZ game is what we are going to be thats fine if we have to personnel to do it with. The AZ game went well but where is the development of other players to back up or fill in for injury. And yes if our QB was injured he should have been pulled and gone with Cody or LaTravis or someone. If they do not develop the non starters we will go from the top of the conf to the bottom every couple years and rarely be in the top ten let alone be in the NC talk. D is the strength of the team and then special teams and well below that most of the year.
Watson needes to show us not only an effective offense this year but major development of the non starters then he needs to go by the end of the year. And if he does well on offense as a whole but no or little development then he needs to go.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm on of the first to say that I really don't care for Watson's style of offence, but part of last years problem I think was the lack of experienced players in the key positions. The year before our offence was the strength of the team and last year it was the weakness. I'm will to give it one more year, but there need to start being some consistency with it.