• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Where do the Mavs go from here...?

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Draft Bamba, sign Randle.

Randle, Bamba, DSJ and Barnes is a decent start.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i dont think id sign randle....

its not like they would win anything with that lineup anyway next year

why not let the kids develop and get one more lotto pick next year?--- then go from there--- at that point you might be able to convince a major free agent to come to them too....

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
theres no way it happens but if Bamba fell to the Cavs at 8 id be so pumped....having said that- The Mavs probably will and should tkae him.

he really does have some Mutombo in him.....

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

why not let the kids develop and get one more lotto pick next year?--- then go from there--- at that point you might be able to convince a major free agent to come to them too....

Yeah, I mean, if Randle continues to play like he did last year, he'll be a 20/10 guy and would only hurt the Mavs lottery chances.

Funny thing is, Cuban seems to have such a hard on for the Lakers that if the Lakers only get 1 or 0 max guys this off-season and are looking at re-signing Randle... I could see him making a big offer to Randle just to try to prevent the Lakers from keeping him. lol

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
theres no way it happens but if Bamba fell to the Cavs at 8 id be so pumped....having said that- The Mavs probably will and should tkae him.

giphy.gif

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I mean, if Randle continues to play like he did last year, he'll be a 20/10 guy and would only hurt the Mavs lottery chances.

Funny thing is, Cuban seems to have such a hard on for the Lakers that if the Lakers only get 1 or 0 max guys this off-season and are looking at re-signing Randle... I could see him making a big offer to Randle just to try to prevent the Lakers from keeping him. lol
yah we shall see....something tells me there is a big difference between 16 and 8 on a bad team and 20 and 10 on a what would hopefully be a good team someday.

I dont think Randle is going toget near a max contract offer....but we shall see in a couple short months.

i do like the fact that Randle is a solid passer for a big man.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yah we shall see....something tells me there is a big difference between 16 and 8 on a bad team and 20 and 10 on a what would hopefully be a good team someday.

I dont think Randle is going toget near a max contract offer....but we shall see in a couple short months.

Yeah, it's hard to know with Randle. When the Lakers were truly bad, he seemed kind of average overall.

But this year, when they were at least decent, he had his best season.

I don't see him getting a max either, but I think he's getting a big raise.

Having said that, it was also a contract year and I'm always a bit skeptical of a guy who makes a serious jump in a contract year.

Randle is young enough that it could just be natural progression and development (and finally having consistent coaching). But I'd still be a little skeptical until he had played a few games under his new deal.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think they should touch Randle for the reasons Wiggy stated.

Bamba could be very good, but he isn't the pick for me. Porter is the guy to take if he is there at 5.

Porter was hands down the best prospect in this class. Then, he got hurt in his very first game and missed basically the entire season. He is still a do everything wing potential player who could be a legit franchise cornerstone.

Bamba, on the other hand, looks like a really nice piece. But, I can't imagine a true center being a franchise player in today's NBA unless he also has significant perimeter skill, like Porzingas, Embiid, Davis, Townes, etc.

So what I am saying is that drafting a guy you hope becomes Gobert or Mutumbo is a mistake if you have a chance to draft a player that could be a superstar. That is unless you already have your franchise guy and are looking for a strong complementary piece. Dallas isn't there.

Also, I think DSJ is horribly overrated. He has a lot to learn. He can develop into a good player, but he isn't there yet.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think they should touch Randle for the reasons Wiggy stated.

Bamba could be very good, but he isn't the pick for me. Porter is the guy to take if he is there at 5.

Porter was hands down the best prospect in this class. Then, he got hurt in his very first game and missed basically the entire season. He is still a do everything wing potential player who could be a legit franchise cornerstone.

Bamba, on the other hand, looks like a really nice piece. But, I can't imagine a true center being a franchise player in today's NBA unless he also has significant perimeter skill, like Porzingas, Embiid, Davis, Townes, etc.

So what I am saying is that drafting a guy you hope becomes Gobert or Mutumbo is a mistake if you have a chance to draft a player that could be a superstar. That is unless you already have your franchise guy and are looking for a strong complementary piece. Dallas isn't there.

Also, I think DSJ is horribly overrated. He has a lot to learn. He can develop into a good player, but he isn't there yet.
After the Parsons fiasco, they shouldn't go anywhere near Porter if he has any red flags medically.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dallas is in a weird situation.

Nobody wants to take their money.

So, they have to gamble on guys that might not be stars and overpay them significantly.

* See Harry Barnes.

Of the guys that are in some form of free agency that could realistically change teams, I'd rather pay Randle, Gordon than a guy like Derricks Favors.

I like Favors for a veteran team.

That isn't the Mavs.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dude, Cuban would overpay just to fuck the Lakers over.

Plus, look what he gave Matthews.

Some of that came after Deandre bailed.

But, he's proven that he will reach and overpay to steal guys.

* See Chandler Parsons.

Barnes was a different animal because of the cap increase. But, Matthews and Parsons were overpays.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm a fan.

I just hope he's more Motumbo, less Then set....lol

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After the Parsons fiasco, they shouldn't go anywhere near Porter if he has any red flags medically.

No risk, no reward.

Bamba and Smith aren't carrying the Mavericks anywhere. Porter just might be able to.

As for Parsons, he was always going to be a bad signing even if he was healthy.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You gotta take Porter. Provided he doesn't creep back up the prospect list once teams finally realize what he is in workouts, he's going to be there for the Mavs at 5. Before this year, he was without question the #1 guy in the draft. NBA scouts at the McDonalds game said so. Then he missed the year so naturally he'll slip a little. But all the way to 7 or 8 as some people are saying right now? That's just stupid. I'm more than willing to bet that top flight talent is still there and if I can get a guy like that at 5, you bet your ass I'm doing it.

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL The trend of the "Where does 'insert team here' go from here?" threads that I had originally initiated has become contagious...

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@wildturkey , @WiggyRuss , @tlance

Weird that all 4 of us could end up being partially right....lol

Mavs Thinking Big?
Bamba told reporters that he believes he’s the type of big that point guard Dennis Smith Jr. wants to play with. “Rick Carlisle has said himself that he thinks Dennis is best with a big who rolls hard and finishes above the rim,” Bamba said. “It would be an interesting deal, me and Dennis.” Considering Carlisle’s affinity for a rim-running center, it shouldn’t come as a surprise to see the Mavericks connected with Bamba.

Ever since word spread in league circles in March that Dirk Nowitzki would return to the Mavericks for his 21st season, there have also been rumblings that the Dallas front office will look to make additions this summer that can put the team back on a winning track.

The Mavericks can create space to sign a max free agent, and multiple league sources expect them to pursue a trio of big men: DeAndre Jordan, DeMarcus Cousins, and restricted free agent Julius Randle. If the Mavericks do indeed plan to pursue expensive bigs in free agency, then it’d make sense to target a primary scorer, like Porter, rather than Bamba.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see anyone in the top 6 trading back.

The Clippers just love to collect broken things.

Moving Up and Down

The Clippers are open to moving up in the draft, according to multiple league executives. They’re armed with picks nos. 12 and 13, and have the assets to get creative. A front-office exec said that Michael Porter Jr. is a possible target for the Clippers, who could slide the forward into their modernized system as a go-to scorer. Funnily enough, later that day, Clippers owner Steve Ballmer paused his own interview session with reporters to stand and listen behind a media scrum around Porter.

What We Saw and Heard at the 2018 NBA Draft Combine