• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Where do the Lakers go from here...?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It makes sense but I just dont see it ever happening. No way he wants to start over with a new team halfway through a season and the Cavs would not do that unless Lebron told him he wanted to be traded

My comment about deadline or next summer was in reference to Kawhi, not Lebron.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could be at the deadline or next summer

There's a long way before the start of the season begins and Leonard may not show up to camp. They could deal him just to get it over with. This is new territory for the Spurs.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a long way before the start of the season begins and Leonard may not show up to camp. They could deal him just to get it over with. This is new territory for the Spurs.

The Spurs really don't gain anything for trading Kawhi now. They're going to exhaust every resource in trying to get Kawhi to stay. If Kawhi's traded, it's likely at the trade deadline. At the very least, they don't trade him until Lebron/George makes a decision.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My comment about deadline or next summer was in reference to Kawhi, not Lebron.

Yeah next type specify, my original comment on a post was about Lebron. I am floating more and more Kawhi will not be a Laker anytime soon, so the deadline would be a more realistic option

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They already said they are not forcing a trade why would they settle, players have not showed up to camp before. We are talking about a top 3 player here. I trust the Spurs to stick by their word and only deal him if they see an offer they can’t turn down

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lakers fans on Twitter being upset that LiAngelo won't get an invite to summer league team.

giphy.gif

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe LaVar will realize he's the reason and lighten up. Highly unlikely, but maybe this finally seeps in...

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Stupid on those suggesting that the Lakers should've drafted LiAngelo? Or stupid on the Lakers for not?

I agree if it's the former. I couldn't disagree any strongly on the latter. Magic made the right move not even entertaining this, IMO.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stupid on those suggesting that the Lakers should've drafted LiAngelo? Or stupid on the Lakers for not?

I agree if it's the former. I couldn't disagree any strongly on the latter. Magic made the right move not even entertaining this, IMO.

Of course they shouldn't have drafted him (nobody should've). Summer League is different, although this talk about playing with Lonzo is moot, since Lonzo is not playing in Summer League this year. Since he isn't, there's no good reason to lure LaVar to the Summer League games and be a giant distraction once again.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No it means that they think the Lakers offer isnt much better than others or they end up just keeping him. They dont want Lonzo, that leaves Ingram and Kuzma. Others can offer just as much or close to that. The goal is to keep him at this point

That's not what you said. What you said makes it look like you think the Spurs are petty and stupid and wouldn't take the best deal if it came from the Lakers just to spite the Lakers and Kawhi.

What you and few others seem to keep ignoring is that there has never been a question of whether or not other teams can match or beat a Lakers offer. At least 2 and probably more, absolutely can.

The question has always been whether or not another team will do that if Kawhi makes it known that he won't re-sign anywhere else.

Last edited:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Spurs really don't gain anything for trading Kawhi now. They're going to exhaust every resource in trying to get Kawhi to stay. If Kawhi's traded, it's likely at the trade deadline. At the very least, they don't trade him until Lebron/George makes a decision.

I don't know about that for a couple of reasons.

For one, the Spurs hate drama. If they don't trade Kawhi, they get the entire rest of the off-season and season to have "Kawhi drama" which would be very "unSpurs like."

Plus, if they wait until the trade deadline, the offers are likely to be worse because teams will know that they can just wait until the season is over and sign him without giving up anything.

Ultimately, how fast it happens will come down to how adamant Kawhi is that he wants out and how much of this kind of drama the Spurs will tolerate. We really don't know because as @DJ pointed out, this is new territory for the Spurs.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about that for a couple of reasons.

For one, the Spurs hate drama. If they don't trade Kawhi, they get the entire rest of the off-season and season to have "Kawhi drama" which would be very "unSpurs like."

Plus, if they wait until the trade deadline, the offers are likely to be worse because teams will know that they can just wait until the season is over and sign him without giving up anything.

Ultimately, how fast it happens will come down to how adamant Kawhi is that he wants out and how much of this kind of drama the Spurs will tolerate. We really don't know because as @DJ pointed out, this is new territory for the Spurs.

By all accounts, the Spurs' own GM has come out and said that they're willing to hold out hope that the relationship with Kawhi can be repaired. On top of that, you have insiders like Broussard whom even publicly have stated that they wouldn't even Kawhi immediately as it makes no sense. The potential gain to retain Kawhi far exceeds trading him. And the Spurs aren't going to give up before camp even starts.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exactly.

On the one hand, it's easy to say "It's just Summer League and they should throw him a bone." In most cases, I'd agree. You have a guys brother on the team, he's not really an NBA level player, so you take him on an undrafted FA deal and let him play on the summer league team with a bunch of guys, most of whom, including him, will never set foot on an NBA court.

But in this case, all that would do is feed into Lavar's bullshit and then there would be pressure to put him on the G-League team or give him a 2 way deal.

Plus, while I really like a lot of Lonzo's game...he hasn't shown enough to make me think that he's worth the Lakers having to keep dealing with his Dad's nonsense.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By all accounts, the Spurs' own GM has come out and said that they're willing to hold out hope that the relationship with Kawhi can be repaired. On top of that, you have insiders like Broussard whom even publicly have stated that they wouldn't even Kawhi immediately as it makes no sense. The potential gain to retain Kawhi far exceeds trading him. And the Spurs aren't going to give up before camp even starts.

None of that really means much right now. Of course the Spurs will do whatever they can to try to repair the relationship with Kawhi. They'd be stupid not to.

I would expect that how long they try will depend on how adamant Kawhi is that he wants out. If every contact from them is met with "I still want out" there will come a time (probably sooner than later) when it's best to cut their losses and move on.

As @TheKlaw points out, they can't even really talk to FA's right now because they don't know what, if anything, they will be paying Kawhi.

As was posted earlier, this is new territory for the Spurs. So no one, probably even the Spurs, knows how they are going to handle it.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No one wanted to even come close to LiAngelo for the obvious reasons

1. He is a thief and wreck his opportunity to establish himself in college. Then made matters by not taking his punishment like a man and sticking it out and went to Europe

2. Not that talented anyways, but...

3. By now everyone saw and heard LaVar threatening to yank Lonzo Ball if they didn't draft his brothers and that he would only play for the Lakers.

The smartest thing every team did about LiAngelo was to run - not walk - but run:bolt:

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listen, we can all agree that Windhorst is a LeBron insider, right?

According to him, Spurs and Rockets are out and Philly is basically just an afterthought.

Unless something changes, LeBron is going to the Lakers...

With or without Kawhi or George.

Could that change?

Sure.

But, as of now...Lakers.

Brian Windhorst: “My feel is that LeBron James is not picking up his player option – that LeBron is going into unrestricted free agency, and that will result basically in San Antonio and Houston being out of the mix. I think he will interact with [San Antonio and Houston], but I think it’s Philadelphia, Cleveland or Los Angeles [Lakers], with Cleveland or L.A. being the two real choices and Philly sort of being there.”

Brian Windhorst: “Right now, I’m 51 percent LeBron to [the Lakers], regardless of Paul George or Kawhi Leonard… if I was percentage-wise, I would say 51 percent [to] L.A., 40 percent [to stay in] Cleveland and 9 percent [to] Philadelphia. That’s where I’m at right now.”

–via ESPN