• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Where do the Lakers go from here...?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you gave up all those assets alongside Deng, it would give you a really good shot at landing LeBron.

I really think LeBron will try to go where Kawhi goes. It is really his only chance to beat GS.

So, two elite wings and nothing else on the roster. I would really rather build with the young talent and add free agents with the cap space, even if that is one max and one lesser FA.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is the point of such a trade? Now you have Kawhi and all your young talent is gone.

Because a healthy Kawhi is arguably the 3rd best player in the league and he's still young. Also, it still leaves cap space for 2 more max level guys (say, Lebron and PG since that's where the focus seems to be).

Plus, not all of the young talent is gone. Ideally, they could keep Ball or Ingram, but even if they don't, they likely still have Kuzma, Hart and maybe Randle.

I seriously doubt any of it happens. As I've said, I think the Spurs and Kawhi will get things figured out and even if they don't, Pop isn't going to want to trade Kawhi to a Western Conference team, especially not the Lakers.

Pop's not stupid, so if the Lakers had the best offer, he'd hold his nose and do it, but I think there are teams that could put together a more attractive offer than the Lakers.

Even if Kawhi tried to force his way to the Lakers, I think some team that thinks they are close will make a better offer and hope they can win enough to convince him to stay.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because a healthy Kawhi is arguably the 3rd best player in the league and he's still young. Also, it still leaves cap space for 2 more max level guys (say, Lebron and PG since that's where the focus seems to be).

Plus, not all of the young talent is gone. Ideally, they could keep Ball or Ingram, but even if they don't, they likely still have Kuzma, Hart and maybe Randle.

I seriously doubt any of it happens. As I've said, I think the Spurs and Kawhi will get things figured out and even if they don't, Pop isn't going to want to trade Kawhi to a Western Conference team, especially not the Lakers.

Pop's not stupid, so if the Lakers had the best offer, he'd hold his nose and do it, but I think there are teams that could put together a more attractive offer than the Lakers.

Even if Kawhi tried to force his way to the Lakers, I think some team that thinks they are close will make a better offer and hope they can win enough to convince him to stay.

It's the Paul George situation all over again. If Kawhi truly wants to be a Laker, he can walk right onto the roster next summer. No reason to throw away assets to get what could be a simple FA signing one year removed.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the Paul George situation all over again. If Kawhi truly wants to be a Laker, he can walk right onto the roster next summer. No reason to throw away assets to get what could be a simple FA signing one year removed.

Not if the Lakers use their cap space to sign Lebron and PG he can't.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not if the Lakers use their cap space to sign Lebron and PG he can't.

Obviously. What purpose would there be to have all 3 anyway? They are all SFs. Is Lebron going to be a full time PF and defend that position? Not sure he wants to take that kind of abuse. This is the era of positionless basketball, but that's pretty monochromatic...

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Besides, is that really the team you want to root for? A team full of hired hands after watching these kids develop the past few years? Where is the attachment? It's bad enough to expect to get two of these guys; all 3 is fantasy land.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope the Commish vetos any signing or trade that will make the Lakers better. Where's David Stern when we need him?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope the Commish vetos any signing or trade that will make the Lakers better. Where's David Stern when we need him?

Can't void signings, otherwise Durant wouldn't be a Warrior. Talk about a competitive balance issue.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't void signings, otherwise Durant wouldn't be a Warrior. Talk about a competitive balance issue.

Well there should be a way to void signings for the Lakers.:D And KD. Great player. But had to join the team he couldn't beat to get that elusive trophy. LeBron got shit for teaming up w/ 2 All Stars. Just imagine the shit-show had he joined a team that were the 2x defending conference champs, w/ the 2x League MVP & 3 All Stars. I like trying to start shit.:heh:

:trash:

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You go ALL-IN. BALLs Deep

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dont worry Dan G. and Cuban are on that shit....Chris Paul? ha.

MikeMed

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,090.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think theres a lot to be said for the mansion Lebron picked up in Brentwood....There are not many suitable teams out there that have everything that James is looking for........He is coming to the Lakers IMO

Anybody know if LA can sign 2 max contracts and still keep Randle?
I have heard both yes and no to this question.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously. What purpose would there be to have all 3 anyway?

My best guess would be...to win titles.

hey are all SFs. Is Lebron going to be a full time PF and defend that position? Not sure he wants to take that kind of abuse. This is the era of positionless basketball, but that's pretty monochromatic...

The Lakers style of play is very similar to the Warriors, It's essentially positionless basketball.

Kawhi, Lebron and PG can all handle the ball, they can all score from anywhere on the court, they are all very good to elite and willing passers. Plus, they can all defend from the 3 point line to the rim (Lebron having to pick his spots).

It would actually make them about as versatile a team as there is in the league.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody know if LA can sign 2 max contracts and still keep Randle?
I have heard both yes and no to this question.

If I recall/understand what I've read and heard correctly...

If the Lakers stretch Deng and sign both PG and Lebron, the only way they could sign Randle is if someone (most likely Randle) was willing to sign for significantly less.

If the Lakers can somehow unload Deng's contract without taking anything back, then they could keep Randle. I think someone (again, most likely Randle) would still have to be willing to take less, but not by near as much as if they stretch Deng.

If they sign Lebron or PG and trade for Kawhi, then they would be able to keep Randle.

I'm not 100% on the above, but I think it's fairly close to what I've heard.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If the Lakers stretch Deng and sign both PG and Lebron, the only way they could sign Randle is if someone (most likely Randle) was willing to sign for significantly less.

If the Lakers can somehow unload Deng's contract without taking anything back, then they could keep Randle. I think someone (again, most likely Randle) would still have to be willing to take less, but not by near as much as if they stretch Deng.

If they sign Lebron or PG and trade for Kawhi, then they would be able to keep Randle.

except for your second last statement where you said they would be able to keep randle when i think you meant they wouldnt- i would say thats correct

why its so hard to sign randle if you signed lebron and george is this--- in order to open up the cap space to sign lebron and george you would have to renounce Randle's Bird Rights to get rid of his cap hold. After signing LeBron and George you will only be left with slots for vet. min guys. Randle would have to likely take a vet. minimum contract since by renouncing him to get rid of his cap hold you lose his Bird Rights.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So what do they trade for Kawhi? Ingram, a draft pick and...

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
except for your second last statement where you said they would be able to keep randle when i think you meant they wouldnt- i would say thats correct

My understanding on that statement is that they would be able to keep Randle because it would mean only 1 of the max slots they will have available will be used because in a trade for Kawhi, there would be salary going out.

So, they would be using a max slot for Lebron or PG, taking in Kawhi, but sending salary back out (in the scenario I read, it means Deng is included) and then re-signing Randle with all or part of the remaining max slot.

The scenario I saw was basically Ingram, Ball, Deng and future firsts for Kawhi.

Again, for that to happen, Kawhi would essentially have to force his way to the Lakers because other teams could make better offers.

why its so hard to sign randle if you signed lebron and george is this--- in order to open up the cap space to sign lebron and george you would have to renounce Randle's Bird Rights to get rid of his cap hold. After signing LeBron and George you will only be left with slots for vet. min guys. Randle would have to likely take a vet. minimum contract since by renouncing him to get rid of his cap hold you lose his Bird Rights.

Yeah, that's why I said someone would have to take significantly less. I don't see Randle being willing to take a vet min and I wouldn't blame him one bit for it.

Lebron and PG aren't taking less to keep Randle either, nor should they.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the scenario that I saw, either Ball or Kuzma...probably Ball since he has higher upside than Kuzma and would actually fit well in San Antonio's system.
they would have to match salaries in that instance if they had already signed someone and still had Randle--- Deng would have to be included in order to get there to make the salaries close enough to matching- there would ahveto be some finagling

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they would have to match salaries in that instance if they had already signed someone and still had Randle--- Deng would have to be included in order to get there to make the salaries close enough to matching- there would ahveto be some finagling

Somehow restructure Deng’s contract and include him.

So Ball 7.4 and Ingram 5.7 with the Deng $10+

They could still sign PG and Lebron. They get rid of Lopez, Pope Frye, Brewer and IT salaries which are $61 mil combined