• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Where do the Cavs go from here?

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they should trade Love for as many draft picks they can get including some from this year - get started this year

I just don’t think he is worth many draft picks. If there is a great deal out there, sure, if not keep him

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don’t think he is worth many draft picks. If there is a great deal out there, sure, if not keep him
Cleveland failed to surrond LeBron with very much talent.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The same place as the Lakers, not winning it all but they will get a much bette draft pick.

Lebron obviously went to LA for the future, their roster looks decent right now, just decent.

Now the Cavs, can literally waive JR and Hill if they wanted and trade Korver. We are talking about 41M. I imagine they keep some of those guys but unless Sexton turns out to be ROY they are looking at a top 5 pick which is perfect. If you don’t have a chance to win a title, the best place to be is very high in the lottery. If they were to trade Love, they have a top 3 wrapped up. I don’t think they trade Love bc next year a quality veteran could entice others to come. They could have 40-50M in cap next year with Love, Hood, Nance, Osman, Sexton and Clarkson on the roster with a top 5 pick. A lot of young talent. If they can hit on that draft pick and Sexton is a true player the future looks bright.
Its going to take a lot of moves to get them in position to win again. There are some pieces that the Cavs have that can be moved, are some pieces to keep a hold of, and are some moves they should be able to make/guys they should be able to move.

If they can use this year to figure out exactly what they want to do and take steps towards that it will be good. Obviously they are in a muhc better position this time around compared to last time around, however, if I were them I would not try and compete right away--- though going into the season and trying to have guys like Hill and Love and Korver up their value before dealing them might be the way to go.

Itll be interesting to see. The pressure is now off and they can actually build with a long term outlook rather than having to go all in year after year after year which just makes it impossible to plan.

IF there was one criticism of LeBron i would have, for him both in Miami and in Cleveland, is that it was almost impossible for those teams to plan long term and put a sustainable team around LeBron. The Lakers will find that out as well. They will have a few very good years (though i doubt LeBron wins a title in LA), but when LeBron leaves there wont be much left.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They will def start a rebuild. Prob ship out K love

Depending on how lebron plays they may have actually benefited from this...If they had re-signed lebron their future including going to the finals and getting slapped around by GS

With what they have in Boston ahd Philly, the Cavs likely wouldn't even get back to the finals again.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With what they have in Boston ahd Philly, the Cavs likely wouldn't even get back to the finals again.
I think they wouldve made deals that owuld have made them the favorite again in the East but it would not have been a sure thing.

I think that LeBron's worst nightmare was to lose to Kyrie in a playoff series. That would have been seriously humiliating for him- and it was a possibility if he came back....now he can lose to the Rockets or Warriors or Thunder or Twolves and its a lot less humiliating.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.....and that's the God honest truth.

It took a Herculean effort from LeBron to get there this year.

Let the Sixers, Celtics, Barneys cage fight for the right to get slaughtered in the Finals and build from scratch.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they wouldve made deals that owuld have made them the favorite again in the East but it would not have been a sure thing.

I think that LeBron's worst nightmare was to lose to Kyrie in a playoff series. That would have been seriously humiliating for him- and it was a possibility if he came back....now he can lose to the Rockets or Warriors or Thunder or Twolves and its a lot less humiliating.

For that to happen, Kyrie would have to actually be healthy.

#notbankingonitever

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.....and that's the God honest truth.

It took a Herculean effort from LeBron to get there this year.

Let the Sixers, Celtics, Barneys cage fight for the right to get slaughtered in the Finals and build from scratch.
I hope that is the way they go.

Cant argue with Sexton as a nice first building block. Id much rather do that, bottom out, then do what the Heat did who now find themselves capped out and with no draft pick this summer after just getting slaughtered in the first round. Thats honestly my worst nightmare for the Cavs--- being like the 8 seed, having no cap room and no draft assets

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember the last time the Cavs tried to rebuild through tanking?

Yeah, me too..

To be fair, the tanking rebuild was working in that they were improving their win total every year and had drafted the guy they were building the team around.

When Lebron decided to return, they immediately had to switch from a rebuild to "win now." The bad contracts they have now are the direct result of going into win now mode. They got 4 straight finals and a title. So, it worked.

They are going to pay for that run over the next season or 2, but after that, they should have plenty of cap space, some tradeable assets and maybe a couple of other good young players from the lottery.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not sure what moves they could have made, but no doubt they'd have tried.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, the tanking rebuild was working in that they were improving their win total every year and had drafted the guy they were building the team around.

When Lebron decided to return, they immediately had to switch from a rebuild to "win now." The bad contracts they have now are the direct result of going into win now mode. They got 4 straight finals and a title. So, it worked.

They are going to pay for that run over the next season or 2, but after that, they should have plenty of cap space, some tradeable assets and maybe a couple of other good young players from the lottery.
thats HOPEFULLY the plan

doing a "Heat" and trying to win around Love and some expensive mediocre guys and trading a ton of future picks would be incredibly stupid of them.

Trade Love- trade Korver--- see if you can make take back a bad contract or two with Hill and Smiths basically "expiring" deals.....resign Nance.....start with Nance, Osman and Sexton and maybe Clarkson

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope that is the way they go.

Cant argue with Sexton as a nice first building block. Id much rather do that, bottom out, then do what the Heat did who now find themselves capped out and with no draft pick this summer after just getting slaughtered in the first round. Thats honestly my worst nightmare for the Cavs--- being like the 8 seed, having no cap room and no draft assets
The Clippers are a much better example than the Heat.

Miami has good young talent and they actually made the playoffs.

Even if we kept Blake, can't say the same about the Clippers.

Having 50 mil in cap space means nothing if Nobody worthwhile is willing to take it.

Clippers need to play the long game and stop taking stupid shortcuts like signing the Gallo's of the world.

Cavs should play the long game too.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They could lose every game but at least they can focus on being a real team again.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thats HOPEFULLY the plan

doing a "Heat" and trying to win around Love and some expensive mediocre guys and trading a ton of future picks would be incredibly stupid of them.

Trade Love- trade Korver--- see if you can make take back a bad contract or two with Hill and Smiths basically "expiring" deals.....resign Nance.....start with Nance, Osman and Sexton and maybe Clarkson

To be fair to "doing a Heat." The Heat were in a different spot than the Cavs are. The Heat still had 2 of their "big 3." The Cavs have one left. Plus, the way Lebron chose to leave, which was pretty smart imo, left no other max guys for the Heat to chase. Even with that, if Bosh doesn't start developing blood clots, they were probably looking at a showdown with the Cavs in the ECF. It was more Bosh's blood clots than anything else that doomed them.

If I'm the Cavs, I would trade Korver right away, but I think I might wait on Love.

Not because they should build around him, they shouldn't. But because I don't think his value is very high right now (at least not when considering what he's being paid).

I think that I'd "feature" him to try to drive his trade value back up and then move him either at the trade deadline of in the off season.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its going to take a lot of moves to get them in position to win again. There are some pieces that the Cavs have that can be moved, are some pieces to keep a hold of, and are some moves they should be able to make/guys they should be able to move.

If they can use this year to figure out exactly what they want to do and take steps towards that it will be good. Obviously they are in a muhc better position this time around compared to last time around, however, if I were them I would not try and compete right away--- though going into the season and trying to have guys like Hill and Love and Korver up their value before dealing them might be the way to go.

Itll be interesting to see. The pressure is now off and they can actually build with a long term outlook rather than having to go all in year after year after year which just makes it impossible to plan.

IF there was one criticism of LeBron i would have, for him both in Miami and in Cleveland, is that it was almost impossible for those teams to plan long term and put a sustainable team around LeBron. The Lakers will find that out as well. They will have a few very good years (though i doubt LeBron wins a title in LA), but when LeBron leaves there wont be much left.

Will Lebron play at that high level for a few years? This past season it was amazing watching him play at that level but he has so much mileage on him.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately for the Cavs their process is going to take a bit longer because they're capped out for the next 3 years. What they should do is flip Love and any other asset they have to acquire more picks.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Spurs have to get a good player and i would want both Ingram and Kuzma and the picks. THE picks has the potential to be a bonus

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately for the Cavs their process is going to take a bit longer because they're capped out for the next 3 years. What they should do is flip Love and any other asset they have to acquire more picks.
capped out for the next 3 years? uhhh what?

after this season Hill and Jr Smith are gone.

All that will be on the books will be Cedi's very small K, Korver at 7M (which will probably be traded), Clarkson at 1 year 13M and Thompson at 1 year 18M.

They will probably have cap room next offseason if Love is dealt.

not only that, but how often do teams coming off a Finals appearance start their rebuild off with a player like Sexton? not often.