• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

When Does the Fire Sale Start?

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we'd be able to get something for cruz and seager

we'd get next to nothing for felix or cano, and even if they were willing to waive their full no-trade clauses, we'd probably have to eat some of their salary

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's horrible... Up 14 runs in 3 games and we lose all 3...
Well ok, but having a 5 run lead in the 3rd inning with your #5 starter on the mound is not exactly some pat hand, especially when your O does not score another run the rest of the way. Up 3-1 is also not some gimme. Neither of those losses are in the same universe as the 9-3 9th inning loss vs Angels, who by the way did the same thing to another team the next game.

I look at it like this: we've played 10 games so far; 7 against the overwhelming consensus pick to win the AL West and 3 against the team who leads the AL in hitting up to this point. We are at the point in the season that is essentially the equivalent of 1 NFL game.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they've won 2 games, and several others were winnable.

coming back from 8 games under .500 might get this team into 3rd place in the division.

that would require playing 2 games above .500 every week for about the next month, and no matter how many daft nfl comparisons or condescending ways of saying "it's early" anybody throws out, i think it's pretty hard seeing this team doing that right now.

could they make up that much ground in 2 months? maybe. i haven't completely lost hope. and they'd have to do quite a bit more than that to have a sniff at the playoffs.

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From ESPN

Seattle Mariners (2-8)

Problem area: Everything.

Sad tweet:

Follow
Joshua Chinn @JoshLChinn

When I die, I want the @Mariners to lower me into my grave, so they can let me down one last time.

10:17 PM - 12 Apr 2017

• On Sunday, the Mariners led the Angels 9-3 entering the bottom of the ninth, gave up seven runs and lost. On Wednesday, they led the Astros 5-0 and lost 10-5. This might shock you, but teams usually win when ahead by five-plus runs. Last season, those teams went 929-24, a .975 winning percentage. The Mariners blew two such leads in four games. They lost another game they led in the 13th inning. In fact, they’ve had leads in seven of their eight losses.

The bullpen has struggled, of course, but other than Edwin Diaz, it was a concern heading into the season. The starters are providing little length in their outings, and the big boys in the middle of the order haven’t hit. Second baseman Robinson Cano, designated hitter Nelson Cruz, third baseman Kyle Seager, first baseman Danny Valencia and catcher Mike Zunino hit 141 home runs last season, one every 17.5 at-bats. They’re hitting .201 so far with one home run in 174 at-bats. Those guys should start hitting. If they don’t, nothing else will matter anyway. The defense was supposed to be better, but the Mariners have the second-highest batting average allowed on balls in play, so either the defense hasn’t been better or there’s been some bad luck (they did get dinged to death in that loss to the Angels). There have been injuries to pitcher Drew Smyly and shortstop Jean Segura. At least pitcher James Paxton has been great.

All this is a way of saying the Mariners haven’t looked good. None of these teams has looked good! That’s why they’re here. As Jeff Sullivan outlined at FanGraphs, a bad start affects what to expect the rest of the season. While the Mariners’ true talent level hasn’t necessarily changed, 2-8 is in the books. If they were projected to win 85 games before the season, you have to drop the expected win total three or four wins. That could be the difference between making the playoffs and missing the playoffs.

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good luck trading Cano lol

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From ESPN

Seattle Mariners (2-8)

Problem area: Everything.

Sad tweet:

Follow
Joshua Chinn @JoshLChinn

When I die, I want the @Mariners to lower me into my grave, so they can let me down one last time.

10:17 PM - 12 Apr 2017

• On Sunday, the Mariners led the Angels 9-3 entering the bottom of the ninth, gave up seven runs and lost. On Wednesday, they led the Astros 5-0 and lost 10-5. This might shock you, but teams usually win when ahead by five-plus runs. Last season, those teams went 929-24, a .975 winning percentage. The Mariners blew two such leads in four games. They lost another game they led in the 13th inning. In fact, they’ve had leads in seven of their eight losses.

The bullpen has struggled, of course, but other than Edwin Diaz, it was a concern heading into the season. The starters are providing little length in their outings, and the big boys in the middle of the order haven’t hit. Second baseman Robinson Cano, designated hitter Nelson Cruz, third baseman Kyle Seager, first baseman Danny Valencia and catcher Mike Zunino hit 141 home runs last season, one every 17.5 at-bats. They’re hitting .201 so far with one home run in 174 at-bats. Those guys should start hitting. If they don’t, nothing else will matter anyway. The defense was supposed to be better, but the Mariners have the second-highest batting average allowed on balls in play, so either the defense hasn’t been better or there’s been some bad luck (they did get dinged to death in that loss to the Angels). There have been injuries to pitcher Drew Smyly and shortstop Jean Segura. At least pitcher James Paxton has been great.

All this is a way of saying the Mariners haven’t looked good. None of these teams has looked good! That’s why they’re here. As Jeff Sullivan outlined at FanGraphs, a bad start affects what to expect the rest of the season. While the Mariners’ true talent level hasn’t necessarily changed, 2-8 is in the books. If they were projected to win 85 games before the season, you have to drop the expected win total three or four wins. That could be the difference between making the playoffs and missing the playoffs.

That's actually kind of funny! :heh:

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good luck trading Cano lol
not everything revolves around new york, no matter how much you all jerk each other off

he's here, and we're well aware he's untradable, so fuck off

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they've won 2 games, and several others were winnable.

coming back from 8 games under .500 might get this team into 3rd place in the division.

that would require playing 2 games above .500 every week for about the next month, and no matter how many daft nfl comparisons or condescending ways of saying "it's early" anybody throws out, i think it's pretty hard seeing this team doing that right now.

could they make up that much ground in 2 months? maybe. i haven't completely lost hope. and they'd have to do quite a bit more than that to have a sniff at the playoffs.
Yeah, the bad start puts the team in a hole for sure. But they're not coming back from 8 under .500, not sure what you meant there. It's 5 now. And the team was in a worse spot than this later in the season last year and still was in it to the end of game 162. 1 game back of the WC in that final game if I remember it correctly.

Look, i'm not suggesting that everyone should believe this team will do it, but I just think it's ridiculous to give up and write them off after 10 games (it was a lot sooner for some). Let's get a handle on our emotions and see what happens when the middle of the lineup gets into their normal groove, Segura gets back, and a couple bullpen arms return.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mariners could start selling talent early if they don’t improve after starting the season 3-8, Cafardo writes. Should the Mariners become sellers, I’d speculate that potential trade candidates could include Danny Valencia, Carlos Ruiz, Jarrod Dyson, Yovani Gallardo and Steve Cishek, all of whom are eligible (or potentially eligible) for free agency after this season. Players like Marc Rzepczynski, Leonys Martin and even Nelson Cruz and Jean Segura could also be subjects of speculation.

--------------------

My thought; You could add all the guys together in the top portion and still not get back a ball boy.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the bad start puts the team in a hole for sure. But they're not coming back from 8 under .500, not sure what you meant there. It's 5 now. And the team was in a worse spot than this later in the season last year and still was in it to the end of game 162. 1 game back of the WC in that final game if I remember it correctly.

Look, i'm not suggesting that everyone should believe this team will do it, but I just think it's ridiculous to give up and write them off after 10 games (it was a lot sooner for some). Let's get a handle on our emotions and see what happens when the middle of the lineup gets into their normal groove, Segura gets back, and a couple bullpen arms return.

I never wrote them off... Saying that it was horrible to give up 14 runs total w/ lead in 3 games resulting in all losses is not, "writing them off"...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never wrote them off... Saying that it was horrible to give up 14 runs total w/ lead in 3 games resulting in all losses is not, "writing them off"...
It was a general comment, not necessarily about you. It's not that tough to find all sorts of panic in here through the first 10 games.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a general comment, not necessarily about you. It's not that tough to find all sorts of panic in here through the first 10 games.
Panic? Who is panicing? Totally the wrong word. The right word is 'expectation'. Seasoned Mariner fans have an expectation that the team will find ways to underperform.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Panic? Who is panicing? Totally the wrong word. The right word is 'expectation'. Seasoned Mariner fans have an expectation that the team will find ways to underperform.
Good comment... I will say for me personally, this 2017 is the most optimistic I have been about these guys in a long time. My expectations of this team are pretty high. To see them go out there in there first handful of games and completely shit all over the bed was a huge disappointment. That being said I have been a baseball fan my entire life so I get the way the season can have its ups and downs. When its at the start of the season it is very magnified.

Getting a sweep against the Rangers is nice but they still have a hole to dig out of.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, whatever you gotta tell yourself.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we won 5 of our last 7 games, is the season still over or nah?