• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What's the perfect playoff system?

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imagine what would happen if they doubled or tripled their football budget and actually had facilities like an elite program...

Would it matter? We'd still be in a non-power 5 conference. Still wouldn't be considered for a playoff spot.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the regular season is tainted that much by adding the other power 5 conference champ and another at-large team? I don't see how the regular season changes that much. For instance, this year you would've had Clemson, Oklahoma, Georgia, Alabama, USC and Ohio State. No controversy whatsoever aside from people wanting UCF in there for being undefeated.
Because, again, it regularly puts in teams with 2 losses; some of which who haven't won their conference. And if you simply take the P5 conference champs, then sometimes you get garbage teams like when an 5 loss Wisconsin team won the B10 in 2012. The 4 teams was supposed to eliminate the problem with trying to select the top 2. Once you go beyond 4, you start putting teams in that shouldn't be there. And in the process, ruining the importance of regular season games.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the regular season is tainted that much by adding the other power 5 conference champ and another at-large team? I don't see how the regular season changes that much. For instance, this year you would've had Clemson, Oklahoma, Georgia, Alabama, USC and Ohio State. No controversy whatsoever aside from people wanting UCF in there for being undefeated.

How about 2012 when 8-5 Wisconsin was the B1G Champ...despite finishing 3rd in their own division, you want that in your AQ playoff...not me. I don't want any AQ from any P5 and I don't want a G5 that's not in the top 15.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imagine what would happen if they doubled or tripled their football budget and actually had facilities like an elite program...

I thought we were talking about getting better recruits.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do away with the playoff and just let the AP and Coaches vote for the National Champion.

batchaps4me

Trolley conductor in Mr. Rogers' neighborhood.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AQ's are bullshit period.

If you go to 8 teams that's one thing, but then you want to throw AQ on top of it? If your conference champion can't make the top8, there is a reason for it.

And I think it's kind of bullshit that a team like USC this year would be a playoff team because they beat a bunch of other bad Pac12 teams, while Alabama has to hope for a WC spot because it plays in a conference that has 2 of the best teams.

These things can't be ignored.

If it were eight teams, the AQ would practically be moot. Unless all teams of a conference are left out, they will probably qualify. I want to make it as subjective as possible. Take the PAC12 CG this year, it did not matter on the national stage and that hurts CFB in my opinion.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it were eight teams, the AQ would practically be moot. Unless all teams of a conference are left out, they will probably qualify. I want to make it as subjective as possible. Take the PAC12 CG this year, it did not matter on the national stage and that hurts CFB in my opinion.

It did not matter on the national stage because it didn't involve teams anywhere near the top4. Why should college football bend over backwards to accommodate bad teams?

batchaps4me

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It did not matter on the national stage because it didn't involve teams anywhere near the top4. Why should college football bend over backwards to accommodate bad teams?

I disagree with your characterization. Why has the NCAA let the champion be decided by ex coaches and sportswriters that could probably not make a living predicting winners decide who is the better team? The human element deciding 3 teams ranked 6,7,8(3/8 of the field) is far more subjective matter than letting them pick 1-4(100% of the field). Champions should be determined on the field, not the press box.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree with your characterization. Why has the NCAA let the champion be decided by ex coaches and sportswriters that could probably not make a living predicting winners decide who is the better team? The human element deciding 3 teams ranked 6,7,8(3/8 of the field) is far more subjective matter than letting them pick 1-4(100% of the field). Champions should be determined on the field, not the press box.

You just completely ignore the history of college football and how we got to this point then and frankly want to ruin the game.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I go back on forth on what is the best playoff system. I think the one we have is pretty good but it's not perfect. I think the two best options are:

A) 6 team playoff. All 5 power-5 conference champions and the best group of 5 conference champion make it. Top 2 get a bye.

I realize there isn't a legitimate G5 team every single year, but they'd have to still beat 3 P5 conference champions to actually win it all. So I think if they did that then people shouldn't argue too much.

B) 8-team playoff. The same as above except also 2 "wild card" teams make it.

Thoughts?

Should have been a poll with an "other" option and potato salad (makes it legal).

8 Teams 5 P5 champions and 3 at large ... P5 are seeds 1-5 (Committee selected) and seeds 6-8 are at large (Committee selected and seeded).

batchaps4me

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You just completely ignore the history of college football and how we got to this point then and frankly want to ruin the game.

No, I have said that the 4 game playoff is the best method devised so far. I suffered years of bowl games that did not determine a champion before the bowl tie ins made exceptions for NCGs. I have seen the BCS try to adjust the formula to prevent what happened last year from happening again. This is the best system yet. But the playoffs are still decided in the press box/on ESPN and not by the players. The best team by majority opinion means nothing. Look at your own history, particularly the 1992 Championship. Either make conferences mean something or get rid of them.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about this..

Committee selects top 4 P5 lik they do now. They also select 2 wild cards -- could be G5 and P5 so in this case maybe it was Ohio St and UCF?

Top 2 seeds get byes. Play on

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I have said that the 4 game playoff is the best method devised so far. I suffered years of bowl games that did not determine a champion before the bowl tie ins made exceptions for NCGs. I have seen the BCS try to adjust the formula to prevent what happened last year from happening again. This is the best system yet. But the playoffs are still decided in the press box/on ESPN and not by the players. The best team by majority opinion means nothing. Look at your own history, particularly the 1992 Championship. Either make conferences mean something or get rid of them.

Well regardless of what you may believe, conferences have never been an automatic AQ for national championships, nor do they need to be to have meaning.

It has meaning....for that group of teams in the conference.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about this..

Committee selects top 4 P5 lik they do now. They also select 2 wild cards -- could be G5 and P5 so in this case maybe it was Ohio St and UCF?

Top 2 seeds get byes. Play on

Even in an 8 team playoff UCF still doesn't make it this year. They were #12.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even in an 8 team playoff UCF still doesn't make it this year. They were #12.

That's where the committee has 2 wild cards to play and if they want to choose a G5 school that dominated their weak ass conference then they do it.

No flawless way to do it, but at least some of these fuckwhads stop crying

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can settle all of this.

Hey, let's have a college football playoff!

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There will never be a perfect system.

There will always be somebody bitching that didn't get in.

Hell, they put damn near 70 teams in the NCAA Basketball Tournament and someone is still bitching that gets left out.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's where the committee has 2 wild cards to play and if they want to choose a G5 school that dominated their weak ass conference then they do it.

No flawless way to do it, but at least some of these fuckwhads stop crying

It's not even up for debate to change until 2026, so we'll have a good history to go on by the time it matters.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not even up for debate to change until 2026, so we'll have a good history to go on by the time it matters.

Well at least we have a few more years to laugh at these clowns.

"but..but.. we beat Auburn"

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just think AQ's are bad all the way around. There is no reason why any team should not have to get in on actual merit and there should be no golden tickets to the playoffs - especially one that only applies to part of the teams. That would actually be screwing over the G5 teams.

All teams should have equal opportunity period. You schedule can qualify or disqualify you and those arguments are valid and why the overwhelming majority of the time you will have P5 conference champions in the playoffs. But you should not be given special treatment because you win a P5 conference etc.

It has to be on the merits. It is the only truly fair way to do it.
I don't think anyone disagrees with these two items. The disagreement begins when specific criteria starts being applied in defining what "actual merit" and "equal opportunity" really mean.