• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What's the perfect playoff system?

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree. I can't see TCU getting in with a win over OU in the Big 12. Wisky or Ohio State would have taken OU's place.
giphy.gif

I agree that they probably wouldn't have. But I said they had some chances because I think it was at least possible.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that adding teams dilute the field a bit but I hold conferences in the same regard as the NFL does its conferences. IMHO if you win any P5 conference, you have done enough to compete for a national championship.

The reason I disagree, is I believe the PAC 12 didn’t even have a top 12 team at season’s end. Now, UCF is ranked in the top 5 and I wouldn't include them in a tournament of 8 or less teams, but I would add a qualifier to the AQ status. In an 8 team tournament, a P5 team will only get the AQ playoff bid, if they are ranked in the top 12. If they are not, then the committee can still choose them, but they are not obliged to do so. That way, if a conference has a down year, or a major upset happens in the championship game (a team slips in with 4-5 losses, and wins the conference championship game), then the committee is not handcuffed to put that team in the playoffs over a more deserving team that didn't win their conference championship.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AND

First of all, the CFP committee is a good system and I am well pleased considering what we had with the BCS. It's just that IMHO there needs to be subjective criteria in selecting playoff teams. Moving to 8 team playoff would add that with AQs for the CCs. It would also allow for the eye test to be applied to teams. The other thing is that it allows for the possibility of college campus playoff games.

AQ's are bullshit period.

If you go to 8 teams that's one thing, but then you want to throw AQ on top of it? If your conference champion can't make the top8, there is a reason for it.

And I think it's kind of bullshit that a team like USC this year would be a playoff team because they beat a bunch of other bad Pac12 teams, while Alabama has to hope for a WC spot because it plays in a conference that has 2 of the best teams.

These things can't be ignored.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AQ's are bullshit period.

If you go to 8 teams that's one thing, but then you want to throw AQ on top of it? If your conference champion can't make the top8, there is a reason for it.

And I think it's kind of bullshit that a team like USC this year would be a playoff team because they beat a bunch of other bad Pac12 teams, while Alabama has to hope for a WC spot because it plays in a conference that has 2 of the best teams.

These things can't be ignored.

It would be especially painful if a bad team, with 4-5 losses, on the opposite side of the conference ends up winning the championship game.

If you do AQ's for conference champs, make the qualifier for the AQ be that the team must be ranked in the top 12. (I'm doing this based on an 8 team playoff system) The playoff committee could still choose that team as an "at large" team, but they wouldn't be handcuffed to choosing them.

Last edited:

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8 teams. The 5 Power Conference winners and the 3 best remaining teams as selected by a combination of fan votes, team record, quality of competition and analysts votes.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
128 team double elimination.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be especially painful if a bad team, with 4-5 losses, on the opposite side of the conference ends up winning the championship game.

If you do AQ's for conference champs, make the qualifier for the AQ be that the team must be ranked in the top 12. (I'm doing this based on an 8 team playoff system) The playoff committee could still choose that team as an at large, but they wouldn't be handcuffed to choosing them.

I just think AQ's are bad all the way around. There is no reason why any team should not have to get in on actual merit and there should be no golden tickets to the playoffs - especially one that only applies to part of the teams. That would actually be screwing over the G5 teams.

All teams should have equal opportunity period. You schedule can qualify or disqualify you and those arguments are valid and why the overwhelming majority of the time you will have P5 conference champions in the playoffs. But you should not be given special treatment because you win a P5 conference etc.

It has to be on the merits. It is the only truly fair way to do it.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just think AQ's are bad all the way around. There is no reason why any team should not have to get in on actual merit and there should be no golden tickets to the playoffs - especially one that only applies to part of the teams. That would actually be screwing over the G5 teams.

All teams should have equal opportunity period. You schedule can qualify or disqualify you and those arguments are valid and why the overwhelming majority of the time you will have P5 conference champions in the playoffs. But you should not be given special treatment because you win a P5 conference etc.

It has to be on the merits. It is the only truly fair way to do it.

I'm against them too, but if they insist on having an AQ for conference champs, then put some qualifiers on it.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm against them too, but if they insist on having an AQ for conference champs, then put some qualifiers on it.

They aren't going to get it, it's actually not even up for real debate until 2026.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They aren't going to get it, it's actually not even up for real debate until 2026.

You mean moving to an 8 team playoff, or the AQ for conference champs? (or both)

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry, but anyone calling for much more than what we have in terms of the number of teams is stupid. Or just doesn't care about the regular season -- which is GREAT in CFB. If you expand to, say, 8 teams -- the regular season becomes more meaningless. You're letting 3 loss teams in with regularity. That's ridiculous. Sorry, I don't want to ever see 3 loss teams competing for a national title in CFB because it would absolutely make the regular season mean less.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry, but anyone calling for much more than what we have in terms of the number of teams is stupid. Or just doesn't care about the regular season -- which is GREAT in CFB. If you expand to, say, 8 teams -- the regular season becomes more meaningless. You're letting 3 loss teams in with regularity. That's ridiculous. Sorry, I don't want to ever see 3 loss teams competing for a national title in CFB because it would absolutely make the regular season mean less.

You don't get 3 loss teams in a 6 team playoff. All you're doing for the 6-team playoff is giving conference champions the chance to rep their conference and an at-large bid to the best team that didn't win their conference. Seems to cover all bases that have been complained about the last two years. Fully rewards conference play and championships and rewards a team that didn't win their conference but still played very well. No controversy happens in this playoff like what we've seen with Penn State/Ohio State and Bama/Ohio State

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't get 3 loss teams in a 6 team playoff. All you're doing for the 6-team playoff is giving conference champions the chance to rep their conference and an at-large bid to the best team that didn't win their conference. Seems to cover all bases that have been complained about the last two years. Fully rewards conference play and championships and rewards a team that didn't win their conference but still played very well. No controversy happens in this playoff like what we've seen with Penn State/Ohio State and Bama/Ohio State
The only thing needed to fix that is a rule that in order to qualify for a 4 team playoff you must win your conference. There's absolutely no need to keep adding more teams to the playoff to fix the controversy.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing needed to fix that is a rule that in order to qualify for a 4 team playoff you must win your conference. There's absolutely no need to keep adding more teams to the playoff to fix the controversy.

There's always gonna be controversy. It's sports. There's ALWAYS gonna be controversy. If you can limit it then by all means, limit it. Adding that rule would fix it, but you are then still shutting out a conference each year. You don't think each power 5 conference should be represented? If so, what's the point of there being 5 power conferences?

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's always gonna be controversy. It's sports. There's ALWAYS gonna be controversy. If you can limit it then by all means, limit it. Adding that rule would fix it, but you are then still shutting out a conference each year. You don't think each power 5 conference should be represented? If so, what's the point of there being 5 power conferences?
I simply don't agree. At what cost should we eliminate the controversy or minimize it? The regular seaso in CFB should be protected at most costs

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I simply don't agree. At what cost should we eliminate the controversy or minimize it? The regular seaso in CFB should be protected at most costs

And the regular season is tainted that much by adding the other power 5 conference champ and another at-large team? I don't see how the regular season changes that much. For instance, this year you would've had Clemson, Oklahoma, Georgia, Alabama, USC and Ohio State. No controversy whatsoever aside from people wanting UCF in there for being undefeated.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams in a crappy conference. How are they a crappy conference? Because they aren't power 5 conferences? Every single conference, power 5 or not, has their bottom dwelling teams that bring the conference down. Every conference also has their elite teams that bring the conference up.

Which conference was better this year, the Pac 12 or the AAC? Provide reasons also please.

Imagine what would happen if they doubled or tripled their football budget and actually had facilities like an elite program...