• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What's the deal with airline...er..Alfred Morris

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, he's been the best offensive player on the Skins since he came into the league. But the last couple of games this season, he's really struggled and now his coach is calling him out. They've also been giving Helu more carries. Is he still going to be worth a weekly start as RB? I'm debating playing McKinnon over him this week but if Morris is falling off that much, I'll be needing to trade for a RB

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best offensive player on the Skins since he came into the league? I'd strongly argue that he hasn't even been the best RB on the team, let alone offensive player. A list which would include, in no particular order, Garcon, Reed, DJAX, RGIII, Santana Moss, Chris Cooley, and yes Roy Helu, are, or were at the time, all arguably better offensive players than Alf. Had Helu not gotten injured in 2012, I strongly believe Alf would never have gotten the chance. To put it bluntly, he's a younger version of Ben Jarvis Green Ellis. maybe his clock is running out faster than the Law Fitm'so did.

As to your overall question. . Yes, if/when/until Helu actually does overtake the #1 job from him, you have to start him, unless your just loaded with RB choices.

Last edited by a moderator:

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best offensive player on the Skins since he came into the league? I'd strongly argue that he hasn't even been the best RB on the team, let alone offensive player. A list which would include, in no particular order, Garcon, Reed, DJAX, RGIII, Santana Moss, Chris Cooley, and yes Roy Helu, are, or were at the time, all arguably better offensive players than Alf. Had Helu not gotten injured in 2012, I strongly believe Alf would never have gotten the chance. To put it bluntly, he's a younger version of Ben Jarvis Green Ellis. maybe his clock is running out faster than the Law Fitm'so did.

As to your overall question. . Yes, if/when/until Helu actually does overtake the #1 job from him, you have to start him, unless your just loaded with RB choices.

Treff, you are way off.

Alf opened 2012 as the starter because he severely outplayed the other backs in the preseason. He is an outstanding power runner, but has no ability to catch passes. As a Redskin fan who was watched every game the past 3 years, Helu is a great compliment to Alf, but he is not better. Not even close. Alf can grind out the tough yards, Helu cannot. Helu is better in space, but that is why he is the 3rd down back.

The issue is that Gruden refuses to let Morris get a rhythm going. Even in the first half of games, alf is wing underutilized. When he gets consistent carries, the offense moves. When he does not, they struggle.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But yes. I would start McKinnon over Alf because Gruden is a fool.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Treff, you are way off.

Alf opened 2012 as the starter because he severely outplayed the other backs in the preseason. He is an outstanding power runner, but has no ability to catch passes. As a Redskin fan who was watched every game the past 3 years, Helu is a great compliment to Alf, but he is not better. Not even close. Alf can grind out the tough yards, Helu cannot. Helu is better in space, but that is why he is the 3rd down back.

The issue is that Gruden refuses to let Morris get a rhythm going. Even in the first half of games, alf is wing underutilized. When he gets consistent carries, the offense moves. When he does not, they struggle.

Totally % 150 disagree. ..well except the excellent power back part. . He is good at that.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fight! Fight! Fight!

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol. . With Tlance? About a Skin? As a Cowboy fan? No thanks. But, no one will ever convince me that Alf is better at anything, except the short game, than Helu.

I agree that there is no sense fighting about it, but IMO, an RB's most important trait is being able lot either make the first guy miss or to fall forward after contact picking up extra yards. Helu is HR hitter who is either going to get nothing or break it to the second level. Morris gets something positive almost every time.

There have been more than a few carries this year where Helu has been in on a 3rd and short and been given the ball. More often than not, he is stopped by an arm tackle from the first defender. Morris bursts through that contact and gains 4 where Helu gets nothing.

This is just my view, but in the all time RB debate, give me Emmet over Barry every time. Sanders is the more spectacular runner, but Emmet does more to help you win games because he gets his team ahead of the sticks by picking up positive yards more often. Had Emmet and Barry switched teams, I don't think the Cowboys would have won all those Super Bowls.

I am not comparing Alf to Emmet, obviously there is no comparison, but both do have similar abilities to turn a negative play into something slightly positive where Barry and Helu at times turn positive plays into nothing while seeking the HR.

Give me the consistent chain mover over the big play threat who will often leave you in 3rd and long when he misses every time.

By the way, the Alf hate did not start until Gruden arrived, and Alf was very efficient in his first few games. Lately though, teams have learned that they can all but eliminate Alf from the game plan by loading on the run early, so that is what they have done. This is not Alf's fault, it is on the men calling the plays.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Morris is problem is that he plays in a crappy offense. Yes, he has plenty of play makers around him, but they have no gel. The QB position is a hot mess. Has Morris struggled in the past few weeks? Sure, but the Skins have also faced some very tough run defenses during that stretch. Morris will be fine once the Skins learn how to play as one.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Morris is problem is that he plays in a crappy offense.

Skins are ranked 5th in total offense (yards). So the offense does move the ball. But they rank 23rd in scoring. I would tend to agree with tlance that Gruden doesn't know how to use (or gameplan) for the most effective use of Morris.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Skins are ranked 5th in total offense (yards). So the offense does move the ball. But they rank 23rd in scoring. I would tend to agree with tlance that Gruden doesn't know how to use (or gameplan) for the most effective use of Morris.

That's what I'm saying. Plenty of play makers on the offense. Garcon, DJax, Jordan Reed and Morris are all solid fantasy options, just need to get the QB position solidified and they will start putting up points.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that there is no sense fighting about it, but IMO, an RB's most important trait is being able lot either make the first guy miss or to fall forward after contact picking up extra yards. Helu is HR hitter who is either going to get nothing or break it to the second level. Morris gets something positive almost every time.

There have been more than a few carries this year where Helu has been in on a 3rd and short and been given the ball. More often than not, he is stopped by an arm tackle from the first defender. Morris bursts through that contact and gains 4 where Helu gets nothing.

This is just my view, but in the all time RB debate, give me Emmet over Barry every time. Sanders is the more spectacular runner, but Emmet does more to help you win games because he gets his team ahead of the sticks by picking up positive yards more often. Had Emmet and Barry switched teams, I don't think the Cowboys would have won all those Super Bowls.

I am not comparing Alf to Emmet, obviously there is no comparison, but both do have similar abilities to turn a negative play into something slightly positive where Barry and Helu at times turn positive plays into nothing while seeking the HR.

Give me the consistent chain mover over the big play threat who will often leave you in 3rd and long when he misses every time.

By the way, the Alf hate did not start until Gruden arrived, and Alf was very efficient in his first few games. Lately though, teams have learned that they can all but eliminate Alf from the game plan by loading on the run early, so that is what they have done. This is not Alf's fault, it is on the men calling the plays.

Wow. . Surprised a little that you'd take Emmit! We can agree there. And your points are all valid. . And I'll still take Ol' Roy ;) :suds:

Btw.. my Alf hate started the first time I saw him play ahead of Helu but didn't see better talent, been there ever since.. hated BJGE for the same reasons in both New England and Cincy.. just can't stand one dimensional running backs

Last edited by a moderator:

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. . Surprised a little that you'd take Emmit! We can agree there. And your points are all valid. . And I'll still take Ol' Roy ;) :suds:

Btw.. my Alf hate started the first time I saw him play ahead of Helu but didn't see better talent, been there ever since.. hated BJGE for the same reasons in both New England and Cincy.. just can't stand one dimensional running backs

Fair enough.

I have seen enough of Helu to know what he is. He is an excellent change of pace back, but if he is guy that the offense builds the rush attack around, that offense is in big trouble.

In an elite passing offense, Helu would work and he is definitely the better fit for Gruden. Trouble is though, Gruden does not know how to use the players he has.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough.

I have seen enough of Helu to know what he is. He is an excellent change of pace back, but if he is guy that the offense builds the rush attack around, that offense is in big trouble.

In an elite passing offense, Helu would work and he is definitely the better fit for Gruden. Trouble is though, Gruden does not know how to use the players he has.

Maybe he and Doug Marrone should get together and coach the LA Kiss?

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again treff. What's with the Marrone dig? Please tell me how Spiller is "supposed" to be used? Because I thought they put him where he belongs....kick return.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again treff. What's with the Marrone dig? Please tell me how Spiller is "supposed" to be used? Because I thought they put him where he belongs....kick return.

Honestly though. . What I think Spiller should be used as is like how Minnesota used Harvin. Usually a slot receiver, occasionally in the backfield, he should've never been a true "RB" in this league. And that's not just Marrone.. that's every Bills personal member since the 2010 draft

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You maybe right. I know one thing, we sure as hell didn't need him when we drafted him! One of a long line of busted 1sts. Hence my skepticism of Watkins (which has faded, boy knows football).

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny, I think that way of McFadden. If Murray was their back and DMC was running routes (something he excels at doing), hey, maybe we'd both be relevant! (Raiders/Bills I mean)