• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What's Next For The Lakers?

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think that is kind hard to say with guys that are so young- and young guys typically are overmatched defensively when they come in the league-

the thing that concerns me is that they did spend a ton of money- 52$ million in salary this year (in total they spent $200 million dollars on Clarkson, Deng, Mozgov, and Black) and they have the worst defensive team in the league- both efficiency wise- giving up over 110 pts a game, and shooting percentage wise letting their opponents shoot 47.8% per game. I dont think people would have expected them to have the worst defense in the entire league after signing Mozgov and Deng who are primarily defensive players.

just for some perspective- the middle team in the NBA gives up 105 pts a game (Indiana), and 45.2% shooting (Atlanta).

Offensive efficiency the Lakers were 29th last year- and have jumped up to 19th this year. Shooting percentage wise they are 19th in the league this year- and were dead last last year---- so they have gone from being an awful offensive team to a mediocre offensive team this year- so they have shown improvement on offense.

Where they have shown particular improvement offensively is from the 3 pt line- last year they were dead last in the NBA at 31.7% from 3. This year they are 14th in the NBA at 35.8% from 3. That makes sense going from Scott's archaic offense to Walton's more wide open system.
Statically speaking, you are 100 percent correct...but in my opinion it's more about the pace of the game. We average 100.3 possessions per game which is 6th in the league. The Nets, Warriors, Suns, Nuggets, and Rockets round out the top 5. The top 6 are also ranked 30th, 19th, 29th, 27th, 24th, and 26th in ppg. allowed.
It hasn't been this way the last few weeks, but overall, we've had a bend, don't break type of defense that gets key stops in the 4th quarter. I'm fine with that type of defense so long as we put up points, although the problem is that it's tougher when you have inconsistency with young players on offense. Also, the injury bug has hit us pretty hard this year as well

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Statically speaking, you are 100 percent correct...but in my opinion it's more about the pace of the game. We average 100.3 possessions per game which is 6th in the league. The Nets, Warriors, Suns, Nuggets, and Rockets round out the top 5. The top 6 are also ranked 30th, 19th, 29th, 27th, 24th, and 26th in ppg. allowed.
It hasn't been this way the last few weeks, but overall, we've had a bend, don't break type of defense that gets key stops in the 4th quarter. I'm fine with that type of defense so long as we put up points, although the problem is that it's tougher when you have inconsistency with young players on offense. Also, the injury bug has hit us pretty hard this year as well

Pace is definitely part of it. No one ever accused the Showtime Lakers of being defensive juggernauts, largely because of their pace of play. But they played enough defense that they were able to do just fine and, if memory serves, were usually around the middle of the pack defensively. They were, however, pretty good at getting stops when they needed them.

The Lakers have struggled on defense for the reasons you and Wiggy mentioned (too young, inconsistent and injuries). Plus, Luke has been experimenting with different lineups, some out of necessity because of injuries and some by design, which effects defensive communication and movement.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the thing that concerns me is that they did spend a ton of money- 52$ million in salary this year (in total they spent $200 million dollars on Clarkson, Deng, Mozgov, and Black) and they have the worst defensive team in the league- both efficiency wise- giving up over 110 pts a game, and shooting percentage wise letting their opponents shoot 47.8% per game. I dont think people would have expected them to have the worst defense in the entire league after signing Mozgov and Deng who are primarily defensive players.

The money being paid to Deng and Mozgov doesn't bother me. I agree with Kold that Clarkson may have started a culture where guys take a little less in order to stay together and improve the team. These guys seems to genuinely like playing together and love playing for Luke. If they continue to develop, we may see them reach a point where they are willing to sacrifice money for the opportunity to stay together and win.

As for the defense, Mozgov and Deng (especially Mozgov) aren't really the problem. It's the perimeter defense that is the problem. It's hard for post players to be effective when guys are running virtually unchecked to the basket. Often times, the post players are made to look bad even though it was the perimeter player who got beat. There have been many times throughout the season where you could see guys (especially Russell and Ingram) get moves put on them that they have never seen before and don't know how to react to.

I do like that Mozgov recently said that he intends to be more physical in the post. If he does that, it should help some.

The main thing that will help the Lakers defensively though is just gaining experience and eventually settling in to a set rotation where the same guys are on the court together more often. The effort is there most nights, it's the execution that they don't have down yet.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Implosion?:boom:

Oh, wait....

That's reserved for the Team down the hall.

:sigh:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a question:

Try to trade Nick Young by the deadline or in the off-season? The Lakers tried all of this past off-season to unload him and couldn't get a half eaten bag of stale potato chips for him.

This season, he finally looks to be playing to his talent level and is putting together a very good season. He's even playing defense. :shocked:

He's 31, so I can't see him being part of the Lakers future and if his play continues, the Lakers may be able to actually get something of value for him.

The fact that next season is the final year of his contract may also add to his value because if he reverts back to being Swaggy P instead of his current Uncle P, whatever team took him could just let him walk.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trojanfan, first of all happy new year. With regards to whether it should be Phil, perhaps its a good argument that he should have the knicks playing better, especially their defense, which is also horrid. But his record improves, he drafted well in 2015 and had to live with previous orgs handing away draft picks. I think within the next year we probably can judge pass/fail, he would have had 4 years in Ny by then. I agree we should have expected more.

But the bad decisions in LA, they are making a long list. The FA deals this year alone for four years, contracts that you cant move, is just another example. They could have given them 2 years, and then used them for expiring nuggets to make a move in the trade market. They basically landlocked these two guys in LA.

We can agree to disagree, but from what I have seen here in Boston, its starts and ends with ownership.

Isn't Boston the same organization that cuts it's 1st rounders? Ha.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my point was there are a ton of teams in the NBA with comparable young talent- and a few that actually do have elite young players like Towns, Davis, Giannis, Wiggins, Heyward, Lillard- or even like a Porzingis or Booker or Embiid or Parker this year- guys that you look at right off the bat and can say- YAH- thats gonna be an all star someday- guys that the Lakers will be competing against in the next 2-4 years.

right now i just dont see much if any difference between teams like the Suns or Nuggets and Lakers- except that most of those other teams own their future 1st rounders and a have lot more salary cap flexibility then the Lakers- who spent a ton of cap room this offseason- would have to make room to just sign a max contract- and still owe out 2 first rounders (to the Sixers and Magic) from prior trades.

I just disagree with that rather bleak point of view. Luke clearly believes in these guys and he wouldn't have come here just to hope an elite player might sign in the coming years. He came here to develop these guys and get them playing up to their potential.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just disagree with that rather bleak point of view. Luke clearly believes in these guys and he wouldn't have come here just to hope an elite player might sign in the coming years. He came here to develop these guys and get them playing up to their potential.
i mean- i dont think its bleak- i just think its realistic....i mean- everyone hopes all their lotto picks turn into high level all stars but it just doesnt happen that way unless you are extremely lucky.

I like a lot of the young talent the Lakers have- especially Randle- its very rare to have a big man that can pass like that- especially at his age.

Im just saying there are a ton of teams out there with a lot of really good young talent- and a lot of those teams have a lot more draft assets and cap space then the Lakers. I do think that Walton was a great hire though. As we can see- he has already done a great job improving the offense from bottom of the barrel to respectability.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i mean- i dont think its bleak- i just think its realistic....i mean- everyone hopes all their lotto picks turn into high level all stars but it just doesnt happen that way unless you are extremely lucky.

I like a lot of the young talent the Lakers have- especially Randle- its very rare to have a big man that can pass like that- especially at his age.

Im just saying there are a ton of teams out there with a lot of really good young talent- and a lot of those teams have a lot more draft assets and cap space then the Lakers. I do think that Walton was a great hire though. As we can see- he has already done a great job improving the offense from bottom of the barrel to respectability.

The Warriors are where they are today because they cultivated their own talent and put veteran pieces around them with the right coach managing them. Sure, statistically speaking, it's unlikely that another club will be able to do what the Warriors did but I think the past November the Lakers had was a great sign. Walton deciding to start his head coaching career here instead of cruising with the Warriors to another deep playoff run and waiting for a sure bet to come along was another great sign.

I think the Lakers have something worth building around with the right coach, and I don't see the list of FA lining up to sign with the Suns, TWolves or 76ers in the future. So what do those draft assets and cap space really amount to if you could end up being like the Celtics.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a question:

Try to trade Nick Young by the deadline or in the off-season? The Lakers tried all of this past off-season to unload him and couldn't get a half eaten bag of stale potato chips for him.

This season, he finally looks to be playing to his talent level and is putting together a very good season. He's even playing defense.

He's 31, so I can't see him being part of the Lakers future and if his play continues, the Lakers may be able to actually get something of value for him.

The fact that next season is the final year of his contract may also add to his value because if he reverts back to being Swaggy P instead of his current Uncle P, whatever team took him could just let him walk.
It's strange because I thought we should of just let him walk, and now he's somehow turned into one of the best 3 point shooters in the league. His value is as high as it can possibly get, and we should atleast test the market(as slim as it may be). If nothing's there, then we can offer him something decent for 2 years or so, and if he declines, then we move on.
This is all assuming that he opts out, but after the year that he's had, he'd be crazy not to

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's strange because I thought we should of just let him walk, and now he's somehow turned into one of the best 3 point shooters in the league. His value is as high as it can possibly get, and we should atleast test the market(as slim as it may be). If nothing's there, then we can offer him something decent for 2 years or so, and if he declines, then we move on.
This is all assuming that he opts out, but after the year that he's had, he'd be crazy not to
No guarantee Nick can do that elsewhere and in fact I think he wouldn't be able to. I think he has,excelled because Luke is that good with players and Nick would be wise to not opt-out and stay put

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the Lakers got off to that great start and have since stepped back, will be interesting to see if any player changes are upcoming.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the Lakers got off to that great start and have since stepped back, will be interesting to see if any player changes are upcoming.

If there are any player changes, it will likely be a trade of one of their veteran players who are playing well. I'd expect it would be either Lou Williams or Nick Young (or both?) to playoff teams looking for scoring off the bench. In another thread, @WiggyRuss suggested trading Lou to Memphis. That would be interesting because they could really use his scoring.

Last edited:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read an interesting article in the paper this morning suggesting that with Phil apparently out of the Lakers picture once and for all, we could see Jerry West return in a special consultant role.

That could potentially be huge.

Following the bouncing Lakers: With Phil gone, Jim Buss is up next

And the Lakers could really use Tony Allen's perimeter defense. I don't think trading a guy like Lou Williams would be a good move, they just don't make intelligent players like that anymore, and he is very much one of the Lakers' anchors offensively down the stretch.

Nick Young would be the obvious choice for me out of those two but his defense has been improved as well as his shot selection so it's difficult to think the Lakers would get the same value back for him. They'd also need a replacement guard in any deal because I don't trust Huertas or Calderon as far as I could throw them to be in this rotation. I'm surprised about Calderon but he was never much of an athlete and he's older now. He seems content to take a MWP mentor role.

So yeah, from my perspective, I don't see a deal being very likely this season. Lakers are going to ride it out with this group.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a question:

This season, he finally looks to be playing to his talent level and is putting together a very good season. He's even playing defense. :shocked:

I wouldn't because the chemistry is developing pretty good and getting rid of just one player like Young could knock their confidence off. I'd say keep it as it is and let them grow together

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't because the chemistry is developing pretty good and getting rid of just one player like Young could knock their confidence off. I'd say keep it as it is and let them grow together

The problem is, Uncle P is unlikely to be part of the future, he's too old. Plus, there's always the danger that he'll revert back to Swaggy P. I like him, but he's playing well (maybe into a bigger contract that the Lakers would be foolish to give him). So, if the Lakers get a good offer for him, they should take it.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is, Uncle P is unlikely to be part of the future, he's too old. Plus, there's always the danger that he'll revert back to Swaggy P. I like him, but he's playing well (maybe into a bigger contract that the Lakers would be foolish to give him). So, if the Lakers get a good offer for him, they should take it.
In my opinion is one of those players that is a perfect fit for Luke Walton who has turned some sour lemons into good tasting lemonade and I seriously doubt any other coach could ever duplicate that. I also doubt that any other team would see him any other way and bit, but.... If Nick Young were to think he can get a big five year contract and decline the player option, then the Lakers have an easy way out. If Young is not stupid enough to do that, then as an expiring contract next year - I think he could be gone sooner. It is remotely possible that before next month, some one might offer a young draft pick that they don't see a future in and we could end up with another Clarkson or Lance.

That would be nice

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it cant be understated how young our core is and how much of a long rebuilding plan this is. Realistically we cant expect the Lakers to even make the playoffs within 2 to 3 years. Theres just so many better teams now. Next year is a better show but more likely the season after next. That not even considering winning shit beyond a playoff seed. The jury is still out on our young players. Julius is a great talent but lacks the drive at times and doesnt engage enough. Deangelo is still very young and we dont really know his ceiling. IMO Jordan is a fabulous player he has not found his roll in this system yet. Brandon its just too early to tell. But what you dont want to see is stalling or regression. Next year will be a better indicator. The cap will increase and with that options for the Lakers. They will pay im sure of it. In the mean time Luke is absolutely concentrating on developing his young players. Its much too early for any of this if you ask me.