• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What's Next For The Lakers?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the news of the breakup between Jeanie and Phil effectively puts to bed the theory that Jim Buss would be removed from his position as head of basketball operations and replaced by Phil after the season.

So, that begs the question...What next?

Under the terms that Dr. Buss set up, Jeanie is in charge of the business side of the Lakers and Jim is in charge of basketball operations. However, it was also set up so that Jeanie holds the ultimate authority and can remove her brother from his position as head of basketball operations.

So, does she hold him to his self imposed timeline of 3 years and let him go at the end of this season? He has started hedging a bit and saying that he said 3 or 4 years. Does she give him one more year based on that?

Also, what happens to Mitch Kupchak who is one of the more respected GM's in the league?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at it from a pros and cons point of view:

Pros: The teams has shown obvious improvement. The players are playing hard, they seem to enjoy playing for Luke (something that couldn't be said about Byron Scott). They only have 12 wins, but they are 36 games into the season. Last season they didn't get their 12th win until game 61.

In short, the seem to have hired the right coach, put together a young talented core that should only get better as they learn to play NBA basketball and are fun to watch. Considering the position they were left in when the Dwight/Nash deal blew up. What they have accomplished is fairly remarkable.

Cons: There is still a lingering air of incompetence surrounding the FO, particularly Jim. The air of incompetence stems from the Dwight/Nash trade (even though everyone said it was the right move at the time), the botched coaching hires of Mike Brown, Mike D'Antoni and Byron Scott, (especially Scott) and even though the hiring of both Brown and D'Antoni were at least signed off on by Dr. Buss.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Phil and Jeannies break up changes anything. I think the team is on the right direction and it is the matter of time til they make the playoffs which will keep Kupchak and Buss in in place. A good argument can be made that better late then never and while Jim Buds is behind schedule, there is no guarantee that anyone can do better

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree the team is moving in the right direction with Luke as head coach and the young talent they now have is going to be damn good if they all stay together and stay relatively healthy.

larryjohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the news of the breakup between Jeanie and Phil effectively puts to bed the theory that Jim Buss would be removed from his position as head of basketball operations and replaced by Phil after the season.

So, that begs the question...What next?

Under the terms that Dr. Buss set up, Jeanie is in charge of the business side of the Lakers and Jim is in charge of basketball operations. However, it was also set up so that Jeanie holds the ultimate authority and can remove her brother from his position as head of basketball operations.

So, does she hold him to his self imposed timeline of 3 years and let him go at the end of this season? He has started hedging a bit and saying that he said 3 or 4 years. Does she give him one more year based on that?

The following is Jeanie's quote from July of 2015. Another recent article confirmed that Jeanie was holding him to the same timeline. (the most interesting thing for me is this was defined upfront -- which obviously sets up a big conflict between the two 3 years ago .... or was it 4?)

"Well, I asked my brother, how long until we're back into contention? And when I say 'contention,' that means past the second round, so either the Western Conference Finals or the NBA Finals. And he told me that it would take three years to rebuild it. So we've just finished Year 1 of that three-years. So we have two more years until he feels that we'll be back into going past the second round in the playoffs."

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The following is Jeanie's quote from July of 2015. Another recent article confirmed that Jeanie was holding him to the same timeline. (the most interesting thing for me is this was defined upfront -- which obviously sets up a big conflict between the two 3 years ago .... or was it 4?)

"Well, I asked my brother, how long until we're back into contention? And when I say 'contention,' that means past the second round, so either the Western Conference Finals or the NBA Finals. And he told me that it would take three years to rebuild it. So we've just finished Year 1 of that three-years. So we have two more years until he feels that we'll be back into going past the second round in the playoffs."

Yeah, it's going to be interesting to see what happens in the off-season. Based on that timeline, that means they have to get to the WCF this year, which clearly isn't happening.

In Jim's defense, and I would have no idea if Jeanie will cut him a break on it or not, I'm sure his timeline included landing a top FA or 2, not doing a total re-build.

I think the one thing that could save him is that the team is headed in the right direction and the fans are no longer calling for his head. Personally, I don't care if he keeps his job or not as long as Mitch stays. I'd be willing to bet that he's the main reason they are headed in the right direction anyway.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it's going to be interesting to see what happens in the off-season. Based on that timeline, that means they have to get to the WCF this year, which clearly isn't happening.

In Jim's defense, and I would have no idea if Jeanie will cut him a break on it or not, I'm sure his timeline included landing a top FA or 2, not doing a total re-build.

I think the one thing that could save him is that the team is headed in the right direction and the fans are no longer calling for his head. Personally, I don't care if he keeps his job or not as long as Mitch stays. I'd be willing to bet that he's the main reason they are headed in the right direction anyway.

I agree that it no longer matters what Jim does. He's finally found a coach worth spending time on, and the pieces are in place due to the Lakers great choices in the draft. Where the Lakers go from here entirely depends on what Ingram, Randle, Russell, Clarkson, and Nance do in the coming years.

Jim has effectively done his job. He had his missteps (downright begging Dwight to stay, anyone?) but Walton turning out to be such a great fit completely saves his job. If Walton had flopped then I'd want Jim out immediately.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that it no longer matters what Jim does. He's finally found a coach worth spending time on, and the pieces are in place due to the Lakers great choices in the draft. Where the Lakers go from here entirely depends on what Ingram, Randle, Russell, Clarkson, and Nance do in the coming years.

Jim has effectively done his job. He had his missteps (downright begging Dwight to stay, anyone?) but Walton turning out to be such a great fit completely saves his job. If Walton had flopped then I'd want Jim out immediately.

Yeah, that's kind of where I am. It really doesn't matter what happens with him anymore. Whether he has finally learned how to do his job, or was just smart enough to stay the hell out of Mitch's way...the Lakers are headed in the right direction.

If pushed, I'd say...Let him stay, but on a very short leash.

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you have to revisit this say in march. If at the end of the season they have say 22-24 wins that's not a whole lot of improvement on last seasons 17 wins. IMO I think they have to challenge for a playoff spot. I think missing it is ok but being out of contention in February not ok. I could be wrong here but we shall see. Finishing 9th or 10th in the west is decent Improvement.

There is still all this negative banter around sports media that Jim buss is what's wrong with the lakers and big time free agents aren't coming until he's gone. But next question is say she really fired her brother and took over. Do top players around the league respect her enough to want to come to the lakers? Wouldn't she be the only woman in that position in the NBA? And last if she's not the answer then what? You would hope she just gets out of Mitch's way but if that's doesn't work then what?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you have to revisit this say in march. If at the end of the season they have say 22-24 wins that's not a whole lot of improvement on last seasons 17 wins. IMO I think they have to challenge for a playoff spot. I think missing it is ok but being out of contention in February not ok. I could be wrong here but we shall see. Finishing 9th or 10th in the west is decent Improvement.

There is still all this negative banter around sports media that Jim buss is what's wrong with the lakers and big time free agents aren't coming until he's gone. But next question is say she really fired her brother and took over. Do top players around the league respect her enough to want to come to the lakers? Wouldn't she be the only woman in that position in the NBA? And last if she's not the answer then what? You would hope she just gets out of Mitch's way but if that's doesn't work then what?

I don't think they necessarily need to be in the playoff hunt, but I do agree they need to get more than 22-24 wins. I'd say in the neighborhood of 27-32 would be solid enough improvement.

It's unlikely that Jeanie would take over the basketball side. Assuming Mitch was kept on, I'd expect that she would promote Mitch into Jim's job and promote Ryan West to GM.

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Off the court I don't care as much as long the Lakers young talent keeps improving. All that garbage will get worked out somehow. Luke Walton is got them on the right track. Happy New Year. Peace.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Off the court I don't care as much as long the Lakers young talent keeps improving. All that garbage will get worked out somehow. Luke Walton is got them on the right track. Happy New Year. Peace.

Peace

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at it from a pros and cons point of view:

Pros: The teams has shown obvious improvement. The players are playing hard, they seem to enjoy playing for Luke (something that couldn't be said about Byron Scott). They only have 12 wins, but they are 36 games into the season. Last season they didn't get their 12th win until game 61.

In short, the seem to have hired the right coach, put together a young talented core that should only get better as they learn to play NBA basketball and are fun to watch. Considering the position they were left in when the Dwight/Nash deal blew up. What they have accomplished is fairly remarkable.

Cons: There is still a lingering air of incompetence surrounding the FO, particularly Jim. The air of incompetence stems from the Dwight/Nash trade (even though everyone said it was the right move at the time), the botched coaching hires of Mike Brown, Mike D'Antoni and Byron Scott, (especially Scott) and even though the hiring of both Brown and D'Antoni were at least signed off on by Dr. Buss.
Common sense though tells you though that anything you do is a crap shoot. There are no guarantees and had the NBA not stopped the Chris Paul Trade, we most likely would have had Dwight Howard a year sooner and possibly been a contender. I personally thought it would take more than a three years and thought five was more realistic based on what other teams have done. I think the good news is that we have seen the worst part of if it and don't forget that Jerry West said the Lakers would have a tough spell sooner or later and that it couldn't be avoided. We now have a smarter ownership going in the right direction. The way I see it, even if Jim Buss stepped down, there is no guarantee that Jeannie and Kupchak with whoever they chose would do any better and we don't know how much power Jim would have as an owner, so he may as well stay put in my opinion.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we don't know how much power Jim would have as an owner,

Virtually none. It's laid out in how Dr. Buss set things up. He'd be a minority owner with no real position in the organization. So, as an owner, he would have a vote in things like whether or not to sell the team, etc.

As far as running the team and how much power each sibling has, Jeanie has the final say on everything.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they need to find a way to differentiate their talent between other teams-

To say nothing for teams that are right now very good- i.e. the Warriors, Spurs, Rockets, Clippers, OKC-------these teams have elite players- many that are still pretty young---- your Curry's,draymonds, durants, leonards, hardens, griffins, westbrooks etc. etc.

Its the young teams with talent that the Lakers will be mainly competing with going forward....

in the West- thats teams like the Twolves, Jazz, Blazers, Pelicans, Nuggets, Kings , sunsetc....

When you look at the Lakers roster as compared to these other up and coming teams- where do they fit?--- when you look at the Twolves, Jazz, Blazers, Nuggets, Kings, Suns, Pelicans- i dont think the Lakers young talent compares favorably to many of those teams.....

they need to find game changing talent- becuase thats how you win in the NBA....Wesbrook- Harden, Leonard, The 4 Warriors, the Clips Big 3....

like the Twolves- okay- Wiggins, Towns etc...., Jazz- Favors, Heyward (if he stays), Exum, Gobert, Hood, etc., Nuggets- Mudiay, Murray, Jokic, Nurkic, etc., Suns--- Booker, Chriss, Bender, Len, etc., Pelicnas- Buddy Hield, and of course Anthony Davis....

to me- the Lakers need to keep adding talent- becuase right now --- even amongst teams that are rebuilding and have a lot of young talent- its not like they stand out- they are right there in a very crowded pack of Western Confrence teams that have a lot of young talent- but have the disadvantage of not having a cant-miss superstar like a Towns or Davis or Lillard or Wiggins ---.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just think that Barkley made some good points the other night when i was watching the Dallas/Lakers game.

Kenny was saying how he really enjoyed watching some of the Lakers young talent---- Barkley basically said he wanted tokill himself for the NBA scheduling those teams on national tv......

but the most important thing i think Barkley said is that a LOT of teams have a lot of potentially good young players and that the Lakers dont yet have a guy that you can say is going to be a star- and some other teams DO have that guy---

but basically a ton of teams have a lot of good young talent around the league and that when you compare them- the Lakers certainly dont look to be in any better shape then a great deal of those teams.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just think that Barkley made some good points the other night when i was watching the Dallas/Lakers game.

Kenny was saying how he really enjoyed watching some of the Lakers young talent---- Barkley basically said he wanted tokill himself for the NBA scheduling those teams on national tv......

but the most important thing i think Barkley said is that a LOT of teams have a lot of potentially good young players and that the Lakers dont yet have a guy that you can say is going to be a star- and some other teams DO have that guy---

but basically a ton of teams have a lot of good young talent around the league and that when you compare them- the Lakers certainly dont look to be in any better shape then a great deal of those teams.

Yes and no. Many seem to think that Ingram will eventually be a star and Randle looks like he will be all star caliber or close to it for years to come.

I kind of look at this as the rookie year for all of the Lakers young players because there was virtually no player development over the past couple of seasons, especially last year when everything was focused on Kobe's farewell tour.

To me, Russell and Ingram are the most intriguing. Luke seems to like the idea of Ingram at point. That could mean sliding Russell over to 2 guard, where I think he's more suited. Or possibly trading him for an established 2 guard.

As for acquiring game changing talent via FA or trade, I think the Lakers are the more likely of the young teams to be able to pull that off. While being in LA isn't the advantage it used to be, it is likely still an advantage when talking about an FA trying to decide between the Lakers and another team of relatively equal talent/ability to win.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly thought it was a mistake to go out and sign Mozgov and Deng. Not from the standpoint that I didn't think they would be better, because I did, and they have proved that, but I think the FO should have been looking towards the 2017 draft and try to maintain their pick anyway possible. They still may finish with a bottom 3 record as is, but I think that has proven to be less likely now. Plus it's taking away minutes to the younger core players. IMO this off season was the season to try and add veteran presence and give Russell, Clarkson, and Randle another year of experience and give Ingram as much playing time as possible, and see where that puts you in terms of the draft and then adding veteran pieces.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly thought it was a mistake to go out and sign Mozgov and Deng. Not from the standpoint that I didn't think they would be better, because I did, and they have proved that, but I think the FO should have been looking towards the 2017 draft and try to maintain their pick anyway possible. They still may finish with a bottom 3 record as is, but I think that has proven to be less likely now. Plus it's taking away minutes to the younger core players. IMO this off season was the season to try and add veteran presence and give Russell, Clarkson, and Randle another year of experience and give Ingram as much playing time as possible, and see where that puts you in terms of the draft and then adding veteran pieces.
the mozgov signingi can almost understand becuase itatleast gives the young guys protection- and it was thought it would help the defense (the defense is the worst in the league)....and Mozgov is only playing 22 minutes a nightbut- whatever...

the deng one is the one that kills me and will end up hurting them.

my major thing with the Lakers is they just need more talent and they need to hope they talent they have develops....it doesnt look like there is a Towns or Davis or Porzingis or Wiggins or even Embiid or Jabari Parker here - at least not yet.

they just seem to be right on the same level - or not quite on the same level- as a bunch of other pretty decent "young teams with talent"---- i mean- even guys like Lillard, Gobert, Westbrook, Leonard, arent going anywhere anytime soon as they are very young.

i just dont see how they are any different then the Suns or the Pelicans or the Blazers- except they have less cap space and still owe out a handful of draft picks- and those other teams DO have the type of cant-miss All Star that you need (Davis/Lillard---- MAYBe Booker).

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't you understand; They salary capped jumped from 62 million to something like 105, so the Lakers had two choices;

Get some help and pay some veterans to come in and mentor the rookies and teach them the veteran moves which will speed up their progress

Do nothing and give all of the rookies the difference in which case it would take longer for the players to mature. That first round draft pick they got last year gets delayed until this year and I don't think it's protected two years straight, so it's time for the Lakers to start the growing process

It was a good move and a smart move