• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What would the BCS look like?

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think they'd put Wake in over michigan this week? Next week, I could see it obviously.

I can see it this week. Wake is 5-3 against teams with a +.500 record. Michigan is 0-3. And Wake just took out a team they had ranked in the top 20.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see it this week. Wake is 5-3 against teams with a +.500 record. Michigan is 0-3. And Wake just took out a team they had ranked in the top 20.
That isn't unfair. The committee does some weird stuff, so I wouldn't put it past them.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That isn't unfair. The committee does some weird stuff, so I wouldn't put it past them.

You think it's weird for the committee to reward a team that has 5 better wins than the other team? I'd understand if Michigan at least looked competent in their losses, but they were blown out by PSU, and looked bad against both Wisconsin and MSU(more specifically the 1st half).

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think it's weird for the committee to reward a team that has 5 better wins than the other team? I'd understand if Michigan at least looked competent in their losses, but they were blown out by PSU, and looked bad against both Wisconsin and MSU(more specifically the 1st half).
True, but 3/4 of Wake's losses were by two scores, and their fourth was to a team that might not even make a bowl game. With michigan at 8-3 and Wake at 7-4 without a real signature, ranked win I'd say it would be out of the ordinary at least. Now if they'd of lost to, say, Louisville but then beat Clemson, I'd probably say I agree that it would happen.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but 3/4 of Wake's losses were by two scores, and their fourth was to a team that might not even make a bowl game. With michigan at 8-3 and Wake at 7-4 without a real signature, ranked win I'd say it would be out of the ordinary at least. Now if they'd of lost to, say, Louisville but then beat Clemson, I'd probably say I agree that it would happen.

They did just beat a ranked team though. One that was ranked in the top 20. Obviously that will probably knock the team they beat out of the top 25, but that's still a quality win. The fact that they had six 3 loss teams ahead of Michigan leads me to believe they'll have no problem doing it with a 4 loss team over a 3 loss Michigan team. The committee looks at wins more than anything IMO, and Michigan has none.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They did just beat a ranked team though. One that was ranked in the top 20. Obviously that will probably knock the team they beat out of the top 25, but that's still a quality win. The fact that they had six 3 loss teams ahead of Michigan leads me to believe they'll have no problem doing it with a 4 loss team over a 3 loss Michigan team. The committee looks at wins more than anything IMO, and Michigan has none.
Do you agree with that notion though?

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you agree with that notion though?

Yeah, almost every team has proven they can lose, because of that who you've beaten becomes important. The more good/great win you have the better.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, almost every team has proven they can lose, because of that who you've beaten becomes important. The more good/great win you have the better.
So then you believe if OSU wins out and Miami loses in the ACC CCG, OSU should be in over them even with one more loss?

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So then you believe if OSU wins out and Miami loses in the ACC CCG, OSU should be in over them even with one more loss?

I can see that happening. Ohio State would have more great wins(3 ranked wins to 2). And the wins against .500+ competition would be similar. But, I don't think the Miami/Ohio State comparison and Wake/Michigan comparison are exactly similar in nature.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see that happening. Ohio State would have more great wins(3 ranked wins to 2). And the wins against .500+ competition would be similar. But, I don't think the Miami/Ohio State comparison and Wake/Michigan comparison are exactly similar in nature.
True. Ohio State's really only had 2 weeks this year where they looked bad. Miami has struggled with 5 unranked opponents, and only one of those is even over .500 (UVA).

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. Ohio State's really only had 2 weeks this year where they looked bad. Miami has struggled with 5 unranked opponents, and only one of those is even over .500 (UVA).

But Miami has looked more impressive in their signature wins. And we'll have to see how the Clemson game plays out.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Miami has looked more impressive in their signature wins. And we'll have to see how the Clemson game plays out.
Is barely ranked Va Tech really a "signature win"? Enough to balance out OSU's wins over Penn State, Wisconsin, and Michigan State, 3 likely top 15 teams? That'd be their 2nd best win in this scenario, and they were literally an inch from losing to a very, very bad Pitt team at home this week. Hell I wouldn't say beating Virginia this week is a lock.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we would have just based on this ranking
BCS NC Game Alabama vs Miami
Rose Bowl USC vs Wisconsin
Sugar Georgia vs Notre Dame
Orange Clemson vs Ohio State
Fiesta Oklahoma Vs UCF

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is barely ranked Va Tech really a "signature win"? Enough to balance out OSU's wins over Penn State, Wisconsin, and Michigan State, 3 likely top 15 teams? That'd be their 2nd best win in this scenario, and they were literally an inch from losing to a very, very bad Pitt team at home this week. Hell I wouldn't say beating Virginia this week is a lock.

The way they beat VT was impressive. But they won't finish ranked as high as Michigan State, but the Miami win over ND is much more impressive than anything Ohio State has done, and unless they beat Wisconsin by a similar score, simply won't be able to match. I can see Ohio State getting selected if the scenario plays out, but I don't think it's as lopsided as it is with the Wake/Michigan comparison. Which was where this originally started out.

Jumpman98

GO Broncos-Yankees-Bulls-ND Fighting Irish
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we would have just based on this ranking
BCS NC Game Alabama vs Miami
Rose Bowl USC vs Wisconsin
Sugar Georgia vs Notre Dame
Orange Clemson vs Ohio State
Fiesta Oklahoma Vs UCF

I think a Georgia vs Ohio State in the Sugar Bowl and Clemson vs Notre Dame in the Orange Bowl would be some solid match ups!

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Wake's been pretty underrated all season. They are top 20 in overall efficiency and have beaten 5 teams with a +.500 record. Boston College has looked pretty good the 2nd half of the season. And they have 4 wins over teams with a record above .500. I think if both teams were average teams they wouldn't be going to a bowl game this season. Both are above average teams IMO. I think Wake might even sneak into the committee's top 25, or at least it wouldn't surprise me.

Wolford's a pretty good QB.

Last edited:

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's still shocking that Oklahoma is behind Clemson at this point. Auburn is the only really good win Clemson has and they have a much worse loss. Meanwhile Oklahoma has far more impressive wins against Ohio State and TCU, both top 10, as well as a 3rd win over #18 Oklahoma State. I just don't get it.
A lot of teams resumes are taking a hit here at the end of the year. Several teams the front runners were counting on to be "good wins" aren't looking as good now. Okie lite is a 3 loss team and TCU may end up with 3 losses as well...albeit two of those would be to Oklahoma. But, Oklahoma's one loss is much, much better than Clem's IMHO. Wisconsin should be thankful for #22 Northwestern...and that win was back when Northwestern wasn't playing as well as evidenced by their loss to Duke.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And OU played UTEP, which is probably worse than The Citadel, believe it or not(both Sagarin and Massey rate The Citadel as a tougher opponent). And I'd agree OU has 3 quality wins to Clemson's 2. But after that Clemson has wins over .500+ teams like NC State, Wake Forest, Louisville, and Boston College who are all in the top 35 of the Massey Composite.
No probably to it. We are worse than everyone this year. We couldn't beat El Paso High.

And here's what is weird. We'll probably have the highest draft choice we've ever had...or at least we've had in many, many years. Couldn't even use him worth a damn.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a Georgia vs Ohio State in the Sugar Bowl and Clemson vs Notre Dame in the Orange Bowl would be some solid match ups!
Actually you are right I realize the picking order would actually likely have been Sugar to replace Alabama, Orange to replace Miami Orange Sugar Fiesta so Clemson vs Notre Dame is more likely