• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What Would It Take For Riley To Earn Another Season (2018) With You?

What Buys Riley More Time With You.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bo pleeny took Nebraska to the CCG in his 2nd year as well, so there's that.
how many 11 win years did he have? and well if you look after year 3 of Dabo it is nothing but UPP UP UP UPP!!!

Take that witha grain of salt since Dabo is still relatively "new" to the scene but all indications are that he has his shit together

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how many 11 win years did he have? and well if you look after year 3 of Dabo it is nothing but UPP UP UP UPP!!!

Take that witha grain of salt since Dabo is still relatively "new" to the scene but all indications are that he has his shit together

Not really my point and not comparing the two. bo beat Dabo in a bowl game in their first seasons. My point was that a coach winning a CCG in year two doesn't mean everything.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really my point and not comparing the two. bo beat Dabo in a bowl game in their first seasons. My point was that a coach winning a CCG in year two doesn't mean everything.
This is true but, i didnt pay any attention to Clemson to see how they won or lost the games either..... an intangible i cannot even compare

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been supportive of HCMR since his arrival. At this time, I am in the "put up or shut up" frame of mind.
However, firing him now, or at the end of this season, is not in the best interest of the long term goals of the program. It sends the wrong message to recruits who are looking for a stable program to join. It also sends a message to potential coaches that there is little room for error. They will not be given ample time to instill their philosophy and culture if they do not win now.

The bed had been made. We have to sleep in it. Like it or not. It's best for the life of the program.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
damn, only one to vote 5-4, although others did say "they might be okay with 5-4" but they probably voted 6-3. My main thought with the tough games on the schedule, as long as the product on the field looks competitive against everyone (no blowout losses) then i'd be fine with the 6-6 season. I'm pretty sure pretty much everyone said this season could be anywhere from 6 to 10 wins, so if they make a bowl, i'll let it slide.

i did vote Fire Cav, but my mind could be changed on that if the o-line actually gets better starting now. however, i read someone elses comments on another message board and it was someone who had watched some practices and he said Cav's practices look like a tea party, not enough physicality, like he just expects them to turn it from a 4 to a 10 on game day. that just doesn't seem to be working with these guys, i sure hope he knocked some heads this week. I've always been of the mentality, practice the way you play and if they are really practicing like that, then that's definitely how they are playing.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
damn, only one to vote 5-4, although others did say "they might be okay with 5-4" but they probably voted 6-3. My main thought with the tough games on the schedule, as long as the product on the field looks competitive against everyone (no blowout losses) then i'd be fine with the 6-6 season. I'm pretty sure pretty much everyone said this season could be anywhere from 6 to 10 wins, so if they make a bowl, i'll let it slide.

i did vote Fire Cav, but my mind could be changed on that if the o-line actually gets better starting now. however, i read someone elses comments on another message board and it was someone who had watched some practices and he said Cav's practices look like a tea party, not enough physicality, like he just expects them to turn it from a 4 to a 10 on game day. that just doesn't seem to be working with these guys, i sure hope he knocked some heads this week. I've always been of the mentality, practice the way you play and if they are really practicing like that, then that's definitely how they are playing.

It could be mental stuff with the OL. We came into the season knowing the defense would take time. Yet when they got ripped to pieces in the first 2 games, everyone (media and fans) lost their shit. All of the criticism leading into NIU may have caused them to say 'F' IT.
A great defense can go a long way in masking a crappy offense. Games can be won 10-7, 17-14, or even 7-0 for that matter.
Remember the year LSU beat Bama (9-6)? Two average offenses, but two good defenses.
There are a lot of aspects to a game though. The special teams can't be putting the offense in difficult situations like they've been doing.
Blocked Punt
Blocked FG
Fair Catch at the 5
Letting the ball hit at the 15 and roll to the 2
Fair catching when there are 10 yds of daylight in front of you.
That's just 3 games.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cross your fingers Diaco gets this defense playing high level.
I'm more looking at how Nebraska finishes it's last 4 or 5 games.

Purdue
Northwestern
Minnesota
Penn St
Iowa

Go (4-1) there and I'll have a lot of hope going into 2018.
Go (2-3) and Cav's job looks to be safe, I'll probably be on the 'fire Riley now' bandwagon.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea, all good points. it just seems to me knowing what i know now, all the comments about our defense "causing the offense fits" was really because our o-line sucked ass. that doesn't mean Diaco can't get this defense to be decent, i just really question if the offense will get anywhere.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea, all good points. it just seems to me knowing what i know now, all the comments about our defense "causing the offense fits" was really because our o-line sucked ass. that doesn't mean Diaco can't get this defense to be decent, i just really question if the offense will get anywhere.

Yep. You can't take much of anything from spring and fall practice. Even 1's vs 1's. You don't know anything until they get out on the field against other teams.
A few years ago BTN On The Road or whatever program that is where they visit all the campuses by bus during fall practice, raved at how great Nebraska's O-line looked in practice. Come to find out the D-line sucked.

I still wonder whether our S&C program is up to snuff? Why do they get shoved around up-front on both sides of the ball? Minus the DL in the Suh years, it's been that way for a decade. They literally struggle to get 2 yds against a mid-major. That should be a given.
Strength, Talent, Technique. WTF?

it'sHuskers4me

New Era Huskers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly which is why if he doesnt change his staff he better win all 9 remaining games. otherwise i will not forgive any loss if he makes no changes
I just had a flashback to the previous HC - loyal to a fault.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. You can't take much of anything from spring and fall practice. Even 1's vs 1's. You don't know anything until they get out on the field against other teams.
A few years ago BTN On The Road or whatever program that is where they visit all the campuses by bus during fall practice, raved at how great Nebraska's O-line looked in practice. Come to find out the D-line sucked.

I still wonder whether our S&C program is up to snuff? Why do they get shoved around up-front on both sides of the ball? Minus the DL in the Suh years, it's been that way for a decade. They literally struggle to get 2 yds against a mid-major. That should be a given.
Strength, Talent, Technique. WTF?
I have been wondering the same too!

Skerpokes

Calmer Than You Are
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless this ends up being a 1 or 2 win season, I am not in favor of firing Riley. And even with a 1 or 2 win season I would need some convincing. Recruiting has improved dramatically, but as we know it means nothing if you cannot develop them and the product on the field sucks.

However, we have a brand new quarterback who has potential, or at least we think. We also have a brand new d-coordinator and scheme. Pretty significant changes and I don't know if 1 year is enough time to develop all that into the system.

Lastly, next year's schedule is a buzz-saw. If we let Riley and staff go, I assume Eichorst as well, then we are doing an AD search, head coaching search, probably losing some recruits and current players, and again installing a brand new system for these kids to learn in a matter of months. And oh by the way, good luck with that schedule!!

I think Riley is the best option at least for another year. I will have no complaints though if he lets some staff go after the season if things do not improve (I'm looking at you Cav).

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I'm the lone Nothing guy. That's where I'm at now after watching the complete collapse of the team under his leadership carried right over from last season. I could sense the urgent posture in watching MR so far this season but yet he doesn't step up when the kids needed him the most. There's still time for him to get me off the ledge but I just don't see that happening.
He's been extended some latitude because of his staffs recruiting but if we finish less than 7-5 or 8-4 this class will imploded and we'll be wallowing around at 30ish like always so what's the point of continuing to do the same or worse as Bo's efforts.
They way the trends are pointing we're setting up to get destroyed in conf play, if that's the case Mike doesn't make it to the end of the season

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i trust the crap I've been hearing about MR and company having built some relationships with the recruits. From the sounds of recent guys that were on visits, they can see that they will get to play immediately. thats why i was saying before, as long as we can keep games close, the coaches have an easier time saying "look we were a handful of plays away from beating a lot of really good teams and 1 really good guy away from making those plays and that guy is you" or something like that.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Firing Eichorst isn't suddenly going to light a fire under Mike Riley's ass.

He's been doing this coaching thing for decades and has never changed. He will never change. Because he doesn't know football any other way than "sling it baby!"

Today's move was the first necessary move to remove Nebraska from the sinking ship that is Mike Riley. He'll get his chance to prove myself and a host of others wrong, but when he doesn't.....come November he's toast.

Recruits only equal success when you have a successful coaching staff. You can't just stick Alabama's players on Mike Riley's sideline and expect Nebraska to be Alabama. It would still be a circus.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Big_Red_Marine
@oaknightshockey1
@Tomhusker
@gobigred
@Skerpokes
@BigRedMoe

Just curios if you still feel the same?

"It's only been 2.5 years. Too soon to evaluate. I'm still with Riley through at least 2018"

Feels like forever ago when Nebraska lost to N. Illinois and Eichorst was fired.
Nebraska has gone (3-3) since.
Seven of us picked "Finish the season (6-3)". Although still an option, I've been done since Ohio St.
One person (@tometom ) picked "Finish the season (5-4)"

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea, and i've changed my mind on that. i'm done with MR. the lack of improvement against mediocre teams, just doesn't give me faith that next year would be any better under any circumstance. the o-line shouldn't be this bad with the talent and a philosophy change is necessary to make any improvement. I didn't really want to throw a new coach to our 2018 schedule, but better to get that person in and make the culture change and let them start recruiting to their system as opposed to wait through another year of what we are seeing.

gobigred

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,849,613.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Big_Red_Marine
@oaknightshockey1
@Tomhusker
@gobigred
@Skerpokes
@BigRedMoe

Just curios if you still feel the same?

"It's only been 2.5 years. Too soon to evaluate. I'm still with Riley through at least 2018"

Feels like forever ago when Nebraska lost to N. Illinois and Eichorst was fired.
Nebraska has gone (3-3) since.
Seven of us picked "Finish the season (6-3)". Although still an option, I've been done since Ohio St.
One person (@tometom ) picked "Finish the season (5-4)"

Win out or gone and since there is about a .00001 % of that happening. I’m ready to move on. Really don’t think any reason to keep Riley no matter what