• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What to expect this season?

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know that a number of you post about the team year around, but I haven't really been keeping up. All I really know is that I'm more of a Rangers homer than a general baseball fan, got spoiled by TX winning at least 90 games a year for four straight years, had high expectations heading into last year, and then kind of lost interest when things went south quickly. So, if you don't mind, help me catch up. What should Rangers fans expect from the team this year?

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I expect is to eventually see younger guys be introduced to the major league roster. I think this year we will see both Gallo and Chi Chi. That likely means Texas will be pretty mediocre, but when you lose the best pitcher your franchise has ever signed to TJS you have to temper expectations. Before losing him I thought the ceiling was 85 wins. Now I hope they can get to around 75.

It would be nice if Choo or Fielder could go nuts and maybe be able to flip one of them for something if the team is limping into the trade deadline.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I expect is to eventually see younger guys be introduced to the major league roster. I think this year we will see both Gallo and Chi Chi. That likely means Texas will be pretty mediocre, but when you lose the best pitcher your franchise has ever signed to TJS you have to temper expectations. Before losing him I thought the ceiling was 85 wins. Now I hope they can get to around 75.

It would be nice if Choo or Fielder could go nuts and maybe be able to flip one of them for something if the team is limping into the trade deadline.

Yeah, I knew that Darvish was done for the year and that Gallo hit his second HR of the spring yesterday. Also saw that Chi Chi is a candidate to make the rotation.

Seems reasonable to hope that maybe dealing Choo and or Fielder is the best we might hope to get from them. Damn, only a year ago I was thinking that they might be very instrumental in putting us over the top!

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I knew that Darvish was done for the year and that Gallo hit his second HR of the spring yesterday. Also saw that Chi Chi is a candidate to make the rotation.

Seems reasonable to hope that maybe dealing Choo and or Fielder is the best we might hope to get from them. Damn, only a year ago I was thinking that they might be very instrumental in putting us over the top!

It's been a bad 18 months or so for Texas. Hopefully the ridiculous injuries will slow down. It's sports so they will never stop, but damn this is absurd.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot depends on health... if everyone (excluding Profar & Darvish) returns healthy -- I can see this team being a 80-85 win team. Before Darvish went down, I was thinking upper 80s. But again, a lot is dependent on the health (and recovery efforts) of the team.

Losing Darvish hurts, but he only determines the outcome of a game 1 out of every 5 times... The Rangers do not have a "replacement" for him - but they will find someone to slide in to the rotation and get the ball every 5th day. So instead of Darvish's 14ish wins... we're looking at 8+ from someone else. So while losing "our ace" sucks -- it isnt the end of the world.

As for what to expect - a lot of knee jerk reactions, younger kids being called up (Kela, Chi Chi and maybe Gallo), the return of a healthy team (Fielder, Choo, Holland), and the excitement of a new manager.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its gonna be a good year, lots of surprises and I don't mean more injuries. I think all the experience this year really sets the table for some of the younger guys to really perform in 16' and 17'.

GO RANGERS!!!

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot depends on health... if everyone (excluding Profar & Darvish) returns healthy -- I can see this team being a 80-85 win team. Before Darvish went down, I was thinking upper 80s. But again, a lot is dependent on the health (and recovery efforts) of the team.

Losing Darvish hurts, but he only determines the outcome of a game 1 out of every 5 times... The Rangers do not have a "replacement" for him - but they will find someone to slide in to the rotation and get the ball every 5th day. So instead of Darvish's 14ish wins... we're looking at 8+ from someone else. So while losing "our ace" sucks -- it isnt the end of the world.

As for what to expect - a lot of knee jerk reactions, younger kids being called up (Kela, Chi Chi and maybe Gallo), the return of a healthy team (Fielder, Choo, Holland), and the excitement of a new manager.

Bump.

Surpassed my initial prediction...

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hey we did see both Gallo and Chi Chi....and Texas was pretty mediocre until after the ASB. And Choo and Fielder were both nuts at one point...

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the beginning of the season, I was expecting a similar result to 2014...with the glimmer of hope that if the team could somehow stay afloat until the all star break they could get guys back healthy and make a run. A bad april all but dashed my hopes.

The jobs Jeff Bannister did with the team all year and John Daniels did in the front office cannot be understated. They both deserve awards for manager/executive of the year.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now if he'd stop doing dumb shit like wasting Kela in blow outs or pitching bullpen guys five days in a row he'd really be top notch.

Hopefully it's trial and error and part of that learning process of becoming a seasoned manager.