• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What to do with Jimmy?

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
......or not. Graham could go anywhere and Brown isn't backing down so far. They could make the trade contingent on negotiating an extension on Graham if they are worried about the one year rental.

It is an interesting hypothetical. With Brown holding out and Graham not fitting it could benefit both teams now.

Sure, and a hypothetical is what it is. And to be clear, big trades that seem to be all gloss aren't a stranger to Hawks fans. Schneider isn't afraid to pull the trigger, and it hasn't been all on D like Richardson this year. Graham, and Harvin were much ballyhooed trades on O.

But there's a lot that has to line up. In fact I'm not sure if teams can make trades that are 'conditional' on actions down the road by players (ie signing). Graham could agree to sign an extension, but if he doesn't, then the two teams can't dance without his approval.

I don't know much about Brown, but does he/would he want to come to Seattle? Or is he just playing hardball wanting to stay there? Go elsewhere?

There's 30 plus other teams that are in play too.

At any rate, all good and fun to discuss the hypothetical, sure. But when the discussion veers into, 'Why haven't we traded Jimmy Graham X, Y, or Z?' like it's a fait accompli, it just rubs me the wrong way.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brown wants a reworked contract. He was an all-pro 3 years running but that ended about 5 years ago. Still much better than anything we currently have.

I understand a trade is unlikely but this is seemingly good fit for both teams.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Line him up in the slot and let him take the underneath routes and pull the linebackers. That allows Willson/Vannette to play as well, giving us another blocker.

It's been well documented that Graham is a terrible blocker. Not bad, terrible. Yet we still see plays run where he is called upon to set the edge and fails miserably. This is a play calling issue. Stop trying to fit the square peg in the round hole.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think the question is what to do with jimmy but rather what CAN we do with jimmy. Im sure we would want to have a good return for him but honestly I dont see that happening. If we could do like a Joe Thomas or Trent Williams swap im sure that would have happened yesterday but there is no way in hell they are trading franshise LTs for a player whos contract is up at the end of the season. This will be the case with any team in trade talks with him how much are you willing to give up for a player whos contract is about to expire? Maybe a contending team would like the Green Bay Packers but there is no way in hell we would trade Jimmy to a team like that

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the texans arent contending, but their division is horrible. graham could be the difference between 7-9 and an 8-8 division championship.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the texans arent contending, but their division is horrible. graham could be the difference between 7-9 and an 8-8 division championship.

... and they're going to trade for a TE w/ an expiring contract? This isn't the NBA or MLB...

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
... and they're going to trade for a TE w/ an expiring contract? This isn't the NBA or MLB...
Graham has no trade value, most of us understand this. Dreamers like to throw out these kind of unrealistic ideas.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Graham would need an extension for a low cap number then he would have a solid trade value. Rarely do we see trades on a player after the season has starter and whos contract expires at the end of the season. Would need some superbowl contender to lose their TE for the season for any team to ask about Graham.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Line him up in the slot and let him take the underneath routes and pull the linebackers. That allows Willson/Vannette to play as well, giving us another blocker.

It's been well documented that Graham is a terrible blocker. Not bad, terrible. Yet we still see plays run where he is called upon to set the edge and fails miserably. This is a play calling issue. Stop trying to fit the square peg in the round hole.

Yep, my thoughts exactly... We want Jimmy downfield on every dam play, just throw away the blocking crap with him, he sucks at it...

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Graham has no trade value, most of us understand this. Dreamers like to throw out these kind of unrealistic ideas.

Have Graham agree to a contract extension as part of the trade. Plus Brown also has a lesser trade value being that it is week 3 and he still has not reported.

Again, I understand that a trade is unlikely but it is an interesting hypothetical and not as crazy as some people make it sound considering the specific circumstances.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never really got on the Jimmy Graham bandwagon from day 1 when they acquired him. I know that comes across as second guessing, sorry, but the Saints being willing to trade him when he and Brees appeared to have such great chemistry? Makes you wonder if they saw a decline coming.
Now we are stuck with him and he isn't even a great receiver anymore by the looks of it. I would hope they could get something for him in a trade but I have serious doubts that the other GM's and coaches in the league would want to give up much to get him now.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let him walk after this season. He doesn't even fit the theme of this offense which is puzzling why we brought him in the first place. I thought Seattle was going to change their philosophy quite heavily with Graham but they didn't. They brought him in to block and they don't have the packages on offense that use his skillset. Blocking tight ends are extremely cheap and Bevell seems to want the entire passing offense coming from his WRs and RBs.

Our best offense in the Carroll regime was with three good run blockers (Unger, Okung, Giac) and a GREAT pass blocking tight end in Miller. We ran the ball exceptionally well.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's lining up at receiver a lot more today, so let's see if he can break through, DAM he's dropping way too many passes early though, he's better than this, hopefully he comes around ...

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They did use him a bit better yesterday. But by that point we were slinging it everywhere.

I wasn't really paying attention to where he was lining up. How much did he split to the outside?

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RW began using him more when Baldwin went out w/ an injury...

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure hope Baldwin is OK for the next game.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure hope Baldwin is OK for the next game.

pulled groin is one of those injuries that linger. Most can play with it after a week or 2, but i think he will be a go this coming weekend. He might not be as effective or his normal clutch self. Baldwin most likely wont be 100% again till after the Bye week.

I watch these teams stretch out and i can tell you, unless they get serious about pregame warm-ups and actually START REALLY stretching these pulls and strains will never be avoided.

When i was in College we would stretch HARD for 30 minutes + before games as a team and rarely had pulls, strains in games. I have yet to see teams or players really go hard in their stretching. They are cupcakes out there now and the no contact practices in the CBA agreement has seemed to make MORE injuries happen. Not to mention a decrease in quality play every year for the first 4 to 6 weeks.

These players are just not ready for the pounding any more.

Last edited: