• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL What Team Eliminated From Playoff Contention is the Most Surprising??

What Team Eliminated From Playoff Contention is the Most Surprising?

• Washington Redskins

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • New York Giants

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Chicago Bears

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Houston Texans

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • Indianapolis Colts

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cleveland Browns

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • San Francisco 49ers

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Denver Broncos

Votes: 18 36.7%

• Total voters

BottleWalk

Holier Than Thou
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perennial shit show teams? Are you a fucking idiot or do you not watch football?

Denver Broncos - 2 years removed from a Super Bowl, last year were 9-7.
New York Giants - Won a Super Bowl in 2011, after 3 straight losing seasons were 11-5 last year.
Houston Texans - 3 straight 9-7 years with 4 division titles in the last 6 years.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Consistently improving team over the last 3 years. 9-7 last year, best finish since 2010.
Washington Redskins - Playoff contenders each of the last 2 years. NFC East champs 2 years ago.

These aren't perennial shit show teams. They are teams that have been in the playoff hunt in recent history and they were all highly rated, maybe aside from the Texans, to be playoff contenders this year.
Well the Bucs are a perennial shit show team. But your post is mostly correct imo

I never expected tampa to make the playoffs this year but I DID expect the Giants to be a competitive team and they are so bad that I don't think anyone could have anticipated this

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gina's not even close. They were supposed to win the NFCE running away this year, according to talking heads. Intelligent people knew Brandon Marshall was a has-been, the OL needed 5 new starters, and there hasn't been a RB in their backfield since W was in office.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gina's not even close. They were supposed to win the NFCE running away this year, according to talking heads. Intelligent people knew Brandon Marshall was a has-been, the OL needed 5 new starters, and there hasn't been a RB in their backfield since W was in office.

I don't think Marshall is a has-been. I mean he's 2 years removed from probably the best season of his career. I just think he didn't have the best year last year. He has a shitty version of Ryan Fitzpatrick who decided to force the ball everytime he threw it. The O-line was definitely a problem for the Giants but that didn't really hinder them too much last year and neither did not having a decent RB. Had the Giants not had so many injuries this year, I don't think they would be as bad. 17 guys on the IR including WR1, WR2 and 1 of their best linebackers from last year. This whole thing with McAdoo and Eli was just the shit icing on top of the shit cake.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I'm not surprised any of them won't be in the play-offs but I did think the Broncos D could keep them somewhat competitive and that they could at least run the ball enough to mask the QB play a little. Didn't expect much, just a little better than they are, especially after the beat down they put on the Cowboys early. But losing at home to the then winless Giants seemed to be the nail in the coffin for them.
I guess I bought into the hype a little on the Giants but watching them, you realize that last season was an anomaly and they just aren't good enough to compete. Watching the Giants offense, one has to wonder how they could score enough points to win any games.
On the upside of surprise is the Niners. Devistated by injuries, in total rebuild, yet have fought hard and been competitive. Hasn't shown up in W's( although recently have a little streak going), but Shanahan has them playing hard and giving it their all week in and week out.
It would be interesting to revisit this thread at the end of the season when the play-offs are set. There are some other surprises out there. Some of them on the good side as well, like the Jets.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I'm not surprised any of them won't be in the play-offs but I did think the Broncos D could keep them somewhat competitive and that they could at least run the ball enough to mask the QB play a little. Didn't expect much, just a little better than they are, especially after the beat down they put on the Cowboys early. But losing at home to the then winless Giants seemed to be the nail in the coffin for them.
I guess I bought into the hype a little on the Giants but watching them, you realize that last season was an anomaly and they just aren't good enough to compete. Watching the Giants offense, one has to wonder how they could score enough points to win any games.
On the upside of surprise is the Niners. Devistated by injuries, in total rebuild, yet have fought hard and been competitive. Hasn't shown up in W's( although recently have a little streak going), but Shanahan has them playing hard and giving it their all week in and week out.
It would be interesting to revisit this thread at the end of the season when the play-offs are set. There are some other surprises out there. Some of them on the good side as well, like the Jets.

Did Vance Joseph really ever deserve a Head Coaching job?

That one was a head scratcher from Day One for me, he was the Miami D Coordinator, and that was definitely not a special unit on his watch

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did Vance Joseph really ever deserve a Head Coaching job?

That one was a head scratcher from Day One for me, he was the Miami D Coordinator, and that was definitely not a special unit on his watch
Yeah, I tend to agree. Don't really get hiring a defensive minded guy anyway with such a young QB. You need a Jim Harbaugh type that can work with the kid, imo.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I tend to agree. Don't really get hiring a defensive minded guy anyway with such a young QB. You need a Jim Harbaugh type that can work with the kid, imo.

Elway is interesting to me.....He didnt win SB's until he was on the wrong side of his career, and Terrell Davis was carrying him.....Than he wins a SB as a GM with next to nothing from a washed up Peyton.....Seems those things contributed to him thinking he can win big without high production from the QB position, but its just so rare, and its finally caught up to him

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bucs and Giants have surprised me this year. I thought both of those teams would've been a lot better then they are right now.
I am pleasantly surprised the giants only have 2 wins. I figured they were good enough to get 5 or 6 wins

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elway is interesting to me.....He didnt win SB's until he was on the wrong side of his career, and Terrell Davis was carrying him.....Than he wins a SB as a GM with next to nothing from a washed up Peyton.....Seems those things contributed to him thinking he can win big without high production from the QB position, but its just so rare, and its finally caught up to him
I mean, it's not as though he invested nothing at QB as a GM. In fact, you can pretty confidently say he has tried pretty hard; this isn't news to Elway I suspect. He has just failed outside of signing Manning; though you could call Siemian a success I suppose as a 7th rounder even if he's obviously out of his depth.

Balljim55

Abnormally Average
Hoopla Cash
$ 35,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
Went with the Giants, but while the Raiders are not yet technically eliminated yet, their play - or lack thereof has to be a surprise to many. With a QB deemed to be one of the best of the newbies, A WR that had a phenomenal year, one of the best all around defenders in the league in Mack and an O-Line that was considered to be a top 5 line, they were viewed as legitimate Super Bowl contenders.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me at the top of the list would be the Raiders assuming they don't make it which is a very good possibility. The expectations here in Northern CA were high this year. They were looked at as one of the Super Bowl contenders in the AFC and they just haven't looked good. I always thought their defense would be their Achilles heel this year but their offense hasn't performed well either compared to last year. Letting Bill Musgrave walk away was a head scratcher considering how well the offense was rolling last year. Even my Raider fan friends are puzzled over that.

Second would be the Broncos. QB was obviously going to be an issue but I thought with their dominant D they would have at least been competitive and fighting for a wild card spot. Never thought they would be competing with us for a draft pick

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gotta be the broncos. granted, i didn't think they'd be at the stop of the standings, but only 4 wins through 13 games?? sheesh. and no, vance joseph didn't really deserve the HC position with them, but in the politically correct world that the NFL is now a part of, the answer is "yes, of course! why of course he deserves that job, we think he's very qualified for the position!"

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gotta be the broncos. granted, i didn't think they'd be at the stop of the standings, but only 4 wins through 13 games?? sheesh. and no, vance joseph didn't really deserve the HC position with them, but in the politically correct world that the NFL is now a part of, the answer is "yes, of course! why of course he deserves that job, we think he's very qualified for the position!"

I wonder with Vance Joseph if part of it had to do with the lackluster list of HC candidates last year

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, it's not as though he invested nothing at QB as a GM. In fact, you can pretty confidently say he has tried pretty hard; this isn't news to Elway I suspect. He has just failed outside of signing Manning; though you could call Siemian a success I suppose as a 7th rounder even if he's obviously out of his depth.

I was surprised to read Brock Osweiler was a second round pick. Wasn't aware he was drafted that high