• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What say you Domers?

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't read anything but the title but think it's pretty obvious to everyone that Notre Dame is their own worst enemy.

They seem to be happy with mediocrity.
However, NBC won't be and then their cash cow will go on to greener pastures.
It can't last more than a few more years.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would agree when referencing the last 20 years, which I think was his main point.

Wisconsin has a better winning %, has been to more BCS/NY6 bowl games, has won more BCS/NY6 bowl games, has more ranked finishes, and simply has been more relevant in this time frame than Notre Dame has. Notre Dame has simply been an average program since Holtz has left as evidence by our 31st ranking in terms of winning % in this time frame.

Vyle203

Costco Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 181.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't read anything but the title but think it's pretty obvious to everyone that Notre Dame is their own worst enemy.

They're recruiting at a pretty high level right now. There have been some obvious coaching issues that have been hopefully resolved. I still have high hopes for the program to get at least somewhat back to form.

As far as the OP. Its hard to argue Colin's point.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Kelly gets fired this year and Bob Stoops takes the job, then things will get turned around.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nobody is happy with mediocrity. ND just doesn't have the built in advantages it had in the past. The landscape of college football is completely different than what it was when ND last won the title almost 30 years ago.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Notre Dame has always been masters of mirrors.

When Grantland Rice made the Four Horsemen immortal, it should be noted that he
wrote his famous story during the third game of the year...vs "THE ARMY!"

I've always believed he thought it would have had better staying power, than if he wrote
it during ND's 1st two games of the '24 season...vs Lombard and Wabash.

How does the song go...

"Cheer, cheer for Ol Notre Dame
Bring on the Navy, Bring on Tulane.

Send a volley cheer on high
Shake down North-western from the sky

What though the odds be great or small
All the Service Academies will fall

While her loyal sons go marching
onward...to Vic-to-ry!"

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would agree when referencing the last 20 years, which I think was his main point.

Wisconsin has a better winning %, has been to more BCS/NY6 bowl games, has won more BCS/NY6 bowl games, has more ranked finishes, and simply has been more relevant in this time frame than Notre Dame has. Notre Dame has simply been an average program since Holtz has left as evidence by our 31st ranking in terms of winning % in this time frame.
:agree:

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ND administration is or they would change and get with the program

We've had 4 coaches in the last 20 years, and the current one has been by far the most successful. It's not like we've keep incompetent coaches at the helm of the program. If Kelly has a bad year this year, he's going to be out, even though I think he's done a pretty good job. I've come to the realization we aren't going to be Bama or Ohio State every year, but hopefully once every 3/4 we're in a position to win a National Championship.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've had 4 coaches in the last 20 years, and the current one has been by far the most successful. It's not like we've keep incompetent coaches at the helm of the program. If Kelly has a bad year this year, he's going to be out, even though I think he's done a pretty good job. I've come to the realization we aren't going to be Bama or Ohio State every year, but hopefully once every 3/4 we're in a position to win a National Championship.

Well, all I hear is that it's hard to get into ND because of the Academic Standards for athletes.
I guess that's true.
Coaching isn't the real issue, it's the talent that is able to come in.

Maybe relax admission standards, get those SAT tudors going, move towards the North Carolina scholastic model, allow some remedial classes, and poof. more talent.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whats the over/under on 2017 wins for him to get canned.

I say less than 8, and he's gone.
We went round & round about this last year, too.

Swarbrick screwed up resigning Kelly thru 2021. He's gonna have to live with that or else have another Weis albatross around the University's neck. I highly doubt he'll want another one of those cases beleaguering ND again. Weis fleeced ND outta 10s of millions ... don't need it happening with BK, too.

Now, if BK does something utterly stupid to mandate his firing, all bets are off.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peeps always seem to forget the undefeated 2012 National Championship year.

It's too bad we had to play the undeclared 33rd team of NFL for that trophy, though.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, all I hear is that it's hard to get into ND because of the Academic Standards for athletes.
I guess that's true.

Maybe relax admission standards, get those SAT tudors going, move towards the North Carolina scholastic model, allow some remedial classes, and poof. more talent.
Academic standards are a huge factor in competing for blue chip players.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being a better "program" is an ambiguous term because it can be based on so many things. Yes, Wisconsin is currently more stable and has had a better stretch of football over the past two decades....but....if you had to bet which program would be more stable and win more games over the next 50, would you guess Wisconsin?

Also, which program has a better chance of a national title pretty much any year, even this? It's Notre Dame. Wisconsin is always going to be limited by their talent. They can win 10/11 games but that's as high as they can go. Notre Dame is capable of winning a title and bringing in top talent.

But ultimately, ND has made some really poor coaching hires and that's put them in their current position.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess that's true.

Maybe relax admission standards
, get those SAT tudors going, move towards the North Carolina scholastic model, allow some remedial classes, and poof. more talent.

Very doubtful.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very doubtful.

I agree. The sad thing is though I don't think Notre Dame gets the credit it deserves as an academic institution, so I think it loses out on some kids that qualify to schools like Stanford.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. The sad thing is though I don't think Notre Dame gets the credit it deserves as an academic institution, so I think it loses out on some kids that qualify to schools like Stanford.

I thought both schools had the same academic requirements??? :scratch: