• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What progam is the premier program in the B6 conferences right now?

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious on your thoughts...here are mine

SEC = Kentucky
ACC = Duke
PAC = Arizona
B12 = Kansas
B1G = Wisconsin
BigEast = Villanova

Wonder if there is a case for other schools and would like to read about your thoughts on them

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SEC = Kentucky
ACC = Duke
PAC = Arizona
B12 = Kansas
B1G = Wisconsin
BigEast = Villanova

Wonder if there is a case for other schools and would like to read about your thoughts on them

Only conference I would change would be the ACC. I think Virginia is the king of that conference now. Duke hasn't won the conference outright in about a decade. Virginia has won it 2 years in a row now and are one game out of first right now to win their third in a row.

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only conference I would change would be the ACC. I think Virginia is the king of that conference now. Duke hasn't won the conference outright in about a decade. Virginia has won it 2 years in a row now and are one game out of first right now to win their third in a row.

Virginia didn't win the ACC regular season or tournament last year. Carolina won the regular season and the tournament.

My picks

ACC- North Carolina (It really is a tie with Duke. I'll give the edge to Carolina, though. More overall ACC Championships in the past decade than Duke. No disrespect to Duke, though. As I said, its pretty much a tie.)
Big East- Villanova
Big Ten- Michigan State
Big XII- Kansas
Pac-12- Arizona
SEC- Kentucky

Great Dayne

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Virginia didn't win the ACC regular season or tournament last year. Carolina won the regular season and the tournament.

My picks

ACC- North Carolina (It really is a tie with Duke. I'll give the edge to Carolina, though. More overall ACC Championships in the past decade than Duke. No disrespect to Duke, though. As I said, its pretty much a tie.)
Big East- Villanova
Big Ten- Michigan State
Big XII- Kansas
Pac-12- Arizona
SEC- Kentucky

So if Virginia wins it outright this year that makes 3 out of the last four seasons they won the ACC outright. Would that not make them the class of the ACC at this point?

I can see the argument for NC but Duke hasn't won the ACC outright in about a decade.

Also, Virginia was second last year in the ACC and split the series with UNC. They lost the ACC because of a last second loss @ Duke by one point. If anything they were equals that year.

Also, the 2 years Virginia won NC finished 4th and 5th.

Last edited:

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if Virginia wins it outright this year that makes 3 out of the last four seasons they won the ACC outright. Would that not make them the class of the ACC at this point?

I can see the argument for NC but Duke hasn't won the ACC outright in about a decade.

Also, Virginia was second last year in the ACC and split the series with UNC. They lost the ACC because of a last second loss @ Duke by one point. If anything they were equals that year.

Also, the 2 years Virginia won NC finished 4th and 5th.

That isn't how sports work. You don't call someone conference champions because a narrow loss cost them the crown. I also saw UNC take care of UVA in DC at the ACC Tournament. I like UVA, but UNC was clearly the class of the ACC last year.

If UVA wins the ACC this year, I'll change my opinion.

Also, the ACC doesn't care about regular season titles. They recognize the ACC Champion as the school that wins the ACC Tournament.

Great Dayne

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That isn't how sports work. You don't call someone conference champions because a narrow loss cost them the crown. I also saw UNC take care of UVA in DC at the ACC Tournament. I like UVA, but UNC was clearly the class of the ACC last year.

If UVA wins the ACC this year, I'll change my opinion.

Also, the ACC doesn't care about regular season titles. They recognize the ACC Champion as the school that wins the ACC Tournament.

That wasn't my point and I didn't call them the conference champion. My point was there were literally one bucket away from winning their third in a row. Meanwhile the 2 times they did win UNC was a second tier team finishing 4th and 5th in the conference. So the regular season winner is irrelevant according to the ACC? Damn, they may as well not even play the games if that's the case.

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That wasn't my point and I didn't call them the conference champion. My point was there were literally one bucket away from winning their third in a row. Meanwhile the 2 times they did win UNC was a second tier team finishing 4th and 5th in the conference. So the regular season winner is irrelevant according to the ACC? Damn, they may as well not even play the games if that's the case.

FWIW, I based my picks based off of the last decade. You are clearly basing your list off of the past few years, which is fair.

Just wanted to point out that's how I based my selections. I didn't even mention UVA in my original post, mainly because of the time frame I was using. There really isn't a debate when it comes to the past 3-4 years as UVA has been consistently the best ACC team during conference play.

The ACC lets the teams who win the ACC regular season hang a banner, but they don't recognize them.

The ACC was founded in 1953 and its crown jewel since its inception has been the men's basketball tournament. For a very long time, it was the only major conference that had a men's basketball tournament. Its something that the conference absolutely cherishes and will do absolutely nothing to take away from its prestige.

Big East didn't exist until 1979.
SEC didn't have one from 1953 to 1978.
Big Ten didn't have one until 1998.
Big 8 didn't have one until 1977.
SWC didn't have one until 1976.
Pac-12 didn't have their first one until 1987. It went on hiatus in 1990 until 2002.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SEC = Kentucky
ACC = Duke
PAC = Arizona
B12 = Kansas
B1G = Wisconsin
BigEast = Villanova

Nova looks pretty good with no bad losses and a couple of good wins.

But UK, Duke, AZ, and KU have taken a beating or two and have head scratcher losses mixed in. Wisc hasn't played the top of the B1G and just lost at home so I'm not sure there either. Obviously these are the conference leaders, but I can't call them head and shoulders above the top half of their conference.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But UK, Duke, AZ, and KU have taken a beating or two and have head scratcher losses mixed in. Wisc hasn't played the top of the B1G and just lost at home so I'm not sure there either. Obviously these are the conference leaders, but I can't call them head and shoulders above the top half of their conference.

He's talking about more then this year.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To who did Wisconsin just lose to at home?

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To who did Wisconsin just lose to at home?

My bad...I was thinking of Maryland's loss to Purdue Saturday. Hey...they both wear red. :noidea:

Ref your OP, what is the timeframe you're using to determine your list?

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The top of the ACC is close since full expansion.

Since 2014-2015 season to now:

UNC: 80 wins (14-15 lost in Sweet 16),(15-16 Reg Season and Tourney Champ, Lost NCAA Championship game)
Duke: 78 wins (14-15 NCAA Champion),(15-16 lost in Sweet 16)
UVa: 77 wins (14-15 Reg Season Champ, lost in Rd of 32)(15-16 lost in Elite 8)
ND: 73 wins (14-15 Tourney Champ, lost in Elite 8)(15-16 lost in Elite 8)
Louisville: 69 wins (14-15 lost in Elite 8)(15-16 self imposed post-season ban)
Miami: 67 wins (15-16 lost in Sweet 16)
FSU: 57 wins
Syracuse: 56 wins(15-16 lost in Final Four)

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to use the last decade to determine this so it extends back to the 2006-2007 season as this season has yet to be completed:

Big East - Nova(obvious)
Big 12 - Kansas(obvious)
SEC - Kentucky(obvious)
Pac 12 - It's between UCLA and Zona. I'd actually lean UCLA.
B1G - very slight lean towards Michigan State.
ACC - UNC

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NOVA, UNC, UCLA, MSU, KANSAS, KENTUCKY

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duke versus UNC is an interesting conversation because the teams are recruiting in different directions.

Duke is going one and done and UNC is trying do the 3/4-year thing. It's a pretty neck and neck race.

UVA has a very small window where they've been really good. They really need to reach at least a Final 4 before you start comparing them to UNC & Duke.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duke versus UNC is an interesting conversation because the teams are recruiting in different directions.

Duke is going one and done and UNC is trying do the 3/4-year thing. It's a pretty neck and neck race.

UVA has a very small window where they've been really good. They really need to reach at least a Final 4 before you start comparing them to UNC & Duke.
I'd go UNC, DUKE, LOUISVILLE, UVA ( in that order ) for the ACC and imo UVA is closer to the tier below them than they are the tier ahead of them.

Great Dayne

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think this is a comparison of how dominant a team is in their own conference.

Great Dayne

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NOVA, UNC, UCLA, MSU, KANSAS, KENTUCKY

MSU hasn't won the conference outright since 2009. For the last four years it's been either Indiana or Wisconsin (Michigan once)

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MSU hasn't won the conference outright since 2009. For the last four years it's been either Indiana or Wisconsin (Michigan once)
I was using the last 10-15 years ( since there wasn't really a guideline) and while I get your point I think most people, right or wrong, put more value on tourney runs that conference titles. Really the only 3 leagues who are debatable are the P12, B10, ACC. P12 between Zona/UCLA, B10 Wisky/MSU and ACC between Duke/UNC

Great Dayne

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was using the last 10-15 years ( since there wasn't really a guideline) and while I get your point I think most people, right or wrong, put more value on tourney runs that conference titles. Really the only 3 leagues who are debatable are the P12, B10, ACC. P12 between Zona/UCLA, B10 Wisky/MSU and ACC between Duke/UNC

That's what I figured. OP didn't provide details and just said now. Which most would assume is this season. I decided to say the last 4-5 years because it includes a little history to see if a team is consistent but doesn't go to far back in the past. Also, I assume when the OP said premier program it just means how a team does vs other teams in the conference.

Don't forget Virginia can make it 3 ACC reg season champs out of four years and one second place last season in which they were one last second shot away from winning @ Duke and winning the conference again. Virginia should at the very least be in the discussion if it's just including the last 4 years.